How to Handle Sharks

I don't know. I just don't get how I'm supposed to deal with these guys other than run away. Even kiting 1 v 1 in a armoured boat with iron wind, walking cane, sleek hat, and magiluminescence is unreliable because none of those change acceleration, which is the issue I've posted about before. Now I get you shouldn't be able to kite whole packs, but just one? It's as frustrating as I'll get out.

I "beat" ROG and have about 350 days clocked across my SW games, and I still can't figure out how to melee a shark with a spear (can never seem to find swordfish either) without taking serious damage. Is it really intended that you take damage on a 1 v 1 with a basic mob? If kiting can be reliable, can someone please post me a video to learn from?

I get the obsidian speargun and battle speargun (as Wigfrid) are one shots, but I need to know if I should just abandon all attempts at kiting from here on out.

4 hours ago, WillPwn4Food said:

I don't know. I just don't get how I'm supposed to deal with these guys other than run away. Even kiting 1 v 1 in a armoured boat with iron wind, walking cane, sleek hat, and magiluminescence is unreliable because none of those change acceleration, which is the issue I've posted about before. Now I get you shouldn't be able to kite whole packs, but just one? It's as frustrating as I'll get out.

I "beat" ROG and have about 350 days clocked across my SW games, and I still can't figure out how to melee a shark with a spear (can never seem to find swordfish either) without taking serious damage. Is it really intended that you take damage on a 1 v 1 with a basic mob? If kiting can be reliable, can someone please post me a video to learn from?

I get the obsidian speargun and battle speargun (as Wigfrid) are one shots, but I need to know if I should just abandon all attempts at kiting from here on out.

It's not possible without Abigail or Shadow Puppets, and even then more than 3-4 without a cannon you're boned. But yes even in 1v1 you'll generally take damage unless using spear gun. Sea combat is broken when it comes to fighting multiple beasts.

In fact I think Maxwell with three puppets is the only character i've safely defeated more than 4 sharx without losing more than half hull and wasting half the day. You'll still want a cannon or blowdarts to be safe

You...can't.

There's luring them to mobs(Which I personally find clunky too, since momentum on sea is still horrible), or cheaping them out.

After this hasn't been fixed for all of these update I'm starting to think this is what they were going for. Sea Hounds come, you run away to land, get ranged weapons, lure them in and cheap them out. 

After they spawn, collecting them in one place (that place being right behind your boat), then going ashore to kill them is the safest. Fighting them on the sea is not a feasible option (that is assuming you'd like to survive the encounter). They are sort of equivalent to mini bosses of the ocean, and the same basic principle applies: You can't win against an enemy that is massively superior to you on their terms, you need to bring the fight to your terms. Approaching them with the attitude of "Oh, these are just hounds, I know hounds" isn't going to work.

One thing I'd like to try, but didn't get an opportunity yet is to lure them to a large congregation of boat knights. Boat knights are naturally aggressive towards all monsters. What they lack in accuracy, they may be able to make up in numbers.

1 minute ago, stl1234 said:

After they spawn, collecting them in one place (that place being right behind your boat), then going ashore to kill them is the safest. Fighting them on the sea is not a feasible option (that is assuming you'd like to survive the encounter). They are sort of equivalent to mini bosses of the ocean, and the same basic principle applies: You can't win against an enemy that is massively superior to you on their terms, you need to bring the fight to your terms. Approaching them with the attitude of "Oh, these are just hounds, I know hounds" isn't going to work.

One thing I'd like to try, but didn't get an opportunity yet is to lure them to a large congregation of boat knights. Boat knights are naturally aggressive towards all monsters. What they lack in accuracy, they may be able to make up in numbers.

You have to write how it ends up(luring them to knights). We can maybe make use of the huge amount of them. 

2 hours ago, stl1234 said:

I've tried this before, and unfortunately it resulted in death for me. It worked very well at first, but while I busy avoiding the Sea Hounds, I got hit by one of the cannonballs and my boat stopped long enough for a bunch of the Sea Hounds to catch up and stunlock me. Perhaps it was just unfortunate, perhaps it would've worked better if I'd had more speed buffs (this was before the speed of the boat could be enhanced by things other than sails) but it seems a lot safer killing them from the shore. 

Again one of the reasons i want a Toothtrap equivalent for the Ocean just so we got something to either soften up Large Groups of Sea Hounds or just downright kill them.

This is the problem with them at this point there is no reason to fight them because for starters they are faster then you and far more dangerous then their Landbased brothers and even then when compared to normal Hounds you got a lot of options against those.

1) Hire Pigs/Spiders (Webber)

2) Create a small chockepoint of Toothtraps/Beemines to soften up the Hounds and then go in for the killing blow

3) Lure them to other Mobs like Snakes, Spiders, Bees or Prime-Apes to distract them and at least collect the Teeth to be able to prepare option 2

What do we have for Sea Hounds?

1) Distract them with other Mobs like Jellyfish/Dog Fish what doesn't really help because that doesn't kill the Sea Hounds so they will still be there if you return

2) Bottle Nose Ballfins what also is not a relyable option because those are so rare and 9/10 to far away so that you get to them in Time.

So yeah at this point i see no reason to fight Sea Hounds because even for the Shark Fin it's not worth going through the hassle and possible death to just get 1 item when Land Hounds are a lot easier to deal and i have more options to deal with them.

Best not to fight them on their terms. Water fights are a bit different from land battles and your tactics must evolve to fit the situation at hand. Kiting with a ranged weapon or leading them to some other water creature should do. Otherwise just head for land and wait for them to scatter.

On 3/15/2016 at 3:13 PM, Mr.P said:

Again one of the reasons i want a Toothtrap equivalent for the Ocean just so we got something to either soften up Large Groups of Sea Hounds or just downright kill them.

^^^^^

Fantastic Idea!!

1 hour ago, 23366 said:

Do you know how to melee a shark on the island? I know it if you want to know, because there is no way to melee the shark on the sea.

They usually stop pursuing once I jump off my boat, so I can't melee since they don't come all the way to the shore. If you know how to get them to keep swimming against the shore and trying to bite me, I'm all ears

All it really takes is to get one to come close enough, because once you kill one, the others will swim over to try and eat the Monster Meat dropped by the first. To kill the first, I usually just jump on and off the boat quickly until one gets close enough.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:29 AM, AnonymousKoala said:

You have to write how it ends up(luring them to knights). We can maybe make use of the huge amount of them. 

It ends up horribly. Boat knights are way too inaccurate to do anything, and the hounds do not seem to auto aggro on the knights. So circling around the knights does not work. And knights keep attacking me, which makes it dangerous to try to dodge cannon balls, because one wrong move means I'll be food for the hounds. I've also tried to just drag the hounds nearby the knights, then just jump off to land. It has been days, and the hounds are still alive, and the knights are still attacking them. I can't think of anything to make this strategy worthwhile, so I'll abandon the project.

Archived