Let's Design: Tesla Biome

Hey there! I was originally just going to go through and design a biome for fun, but then I thought it might be more fun to make this interactive. So, every week or so I'm going to post sketches focusing on one visual aspect of the biome. You guys can comment to let me know your favorite, or if I need to do more sketches, and at the end I'll do a finished drawing. Maybe one day I'll even make it a mod if iI can figure out how to do that on my mac, lol.

Tesla Biome

Back in Klei's development of Reign of Giants, they had an idea for a Tesla biome, which got scrapped. All that remains are a few scruffy volt goats wandering the desert, electric doodads, and the concept for tesla trees. 

My first idea that I finished (but can be changed still)is the Unicorn, an alternative to the Warg/Ewecus that can be found at the end of animal tracks. Not really part of the biome, but part of the theme since it's electric.

Spoiler

Unicorn.thumb.jpg.d07c2ea5583bfd54bdcdfa

Spoiler

56ab197d86ba9_ScreenShot2016-01-28at11.2

Thunderlizard

This would be a smaller creature from the biome that can be hunted for morsels. Here's my sketches! Which is the winner, or should I draw more?:

56ab1a98450fa_ElectriclizardSketches.png

• Like 14

I am going to pretend this wouldn't have caused a shiver of sheer excitement to go down my spine.

I like the design of #2 and #5, while #7 looks like the counterpart to Wargr.

Edited by Mobbstar
Added opinion on lizards
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums, @Pelliway! What I would normally say after that already has been said but in case you need a third opinion, these are great and I definitely would love to see more of your redition of the Tesla Biome.

I vote for #6, sloth-like Thunderlizard. It probably drags its body across the floor just to move. #7 is definitely interesting too, from its posture it's probably a runner that skitters off if you get too close but stays close enough for you to see it and stands in that position looking at you like Prime Apes do in SW. #7 will definitely have sparks flying that produces a small amount of light...I wonder how they'll survive the rainy season? what am I doing, this is your idea...sorry for going on a tangent.

Anyways, thank you for sharing your work. Cheers!

Edited by Zillvr
  • Like 2

I think #1 and #7 have potential as prey, and 5 could have potential as something more that could sting back at their foes. Maybe #9 could be a "beardling" version of the winner, just in whatever shape the winner is. Adding on to what Zillvr said (a smart cookie), spring or rain in general should have some negative/different effect. Maybe in RoG, they hide during spring, and when rain comes in other seasons, they give off the small amount of light that was mentioned before. Would they eat/hoard things like doodads and nitre? I don't know. Just suggestions, though. 

tl;dr I vote #7

• Like 2

#6 is definitely my favorite, but I also really like #9. #5 is also cute.

I see #6 as something that looks like it would move really slow (and normally does) but as soon as a player comes near it (or as soon as a player tries to attack it, at least), it bolts off.

Or maybe whichever one you choose could actually move super-fast to the point where it almost teleports from place to place, so the player would definitely need some sort of trap or alternative method to capture it.

6 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

I am going to pretend this wouldn't have caused a shiver of sheer excitement to go down my spine.

I like the design of #2 and #5, while #7 looks like the counterpart to Wargr.

Oh my god, I know. It would have been so cool; it's always disappointing to find out about great ideas that were scrapped.

Hey, looking back at 2 I realized it could make a cool little flagpole. XD56abe0cac1ffd_ScreenShot2016-01-29at1.58

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Welcome to the forums, @Pelliway! What I would normally say after that already has been said but in case you need a third opinion, these are great and I definitely would love to see more of your redition of the Tesla Biome.

I vote for #6, sloth-like Thunderlizard. It probably drags its body across the floor just to move. #7 is definitely interesting too, from its posture it's probably a runner that skitters off if you get too close but stays close enough for you to see it and stands in that position looking at you like Prime Apes do in SW. #7 will definitely have sparks flying that produces a small amount of light...I wonder how they'll survive the rainy season? what am I doing, this is your idea...sorry for going on a tangent.

Anyways, thank you for sharing your work. Cheers!

Thanks! Everyone here is so welcoming, I love it.

Haha, I am 200% on board with anyone going on tangents about these guys. This is for fun- I'm just sharing my ideas, so any feedback is awesome.

I wonder if these guys might be immune/resistant to electricity? If not, then there'd be a lot of free cooked morsels. xD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragara said:

#6 is definitely my favorite, but I also really like #9. #5 is also cute.

I see #6 as something that looks like it would move really slow (and normally does) but as soon as a player comes near it (or as soon as a player tries to attack it, at least), it bolts off.

Or maybe whichever one you choose could actually move super-fast to the point where it almost teleports from place to place, so the player would definitely need some sort of trap or alternative method to capture it.

I'm kind of leaning toward 6 too. I liked your idea about it's movement too! I made a little mini comic thing about it.Untitled-3.png.2622524c7d6a60adc68f128bf

Edited by Pelliway
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Pelliway said:

Reveal hidden contents

Unicorn.thumb.jpg.d07c2ea5583bfd54bdcdfa

Reveal hidden contents

56ab197d86ba9_ScreenShot2016-01-28at11.2

56ab1a98450fa_ElectriclizardSketches.png

Welcome to the forums. I saw them last night but I didn't have time to reply. These are really cool. #2 looks like an evolved version of #1 (maybe #1 could be the baby version in mating season... if they're out at that time).

Also, I thought maybe some trees could be marble trees and some could be tesla coil looking trees (that could only be cut down with a golden axe? Idk, these are just some ideas).

Would there be more clockworks and such or are they kinda a thing on their own?

Also, when I think tesla biome, I think of a blue kinda biome.

Edited by DragonMage156

48 minutes ago, Pelliway said:

I'm kind of leaning toward 6 too. I liked your idea about it's movement too! I made a little mini comic thing about it.Untitled-3.png.2622524c7d6a60adc68f128bf

Haha! That's great! Poor Willow won't be eating Thunderlizard tonight...

But that brings attention back to the question of how players will catch them. Ranged weapons are the vanilla option, of course… What if Thunderlizards were drawn to charged lightning rods? If they're in the same area as one, then they could get mesmerized by it or maybe "feed" off of it until the power is drained.

Another little idea I had is that if Thunderlizards are able to be captured alive and put in the inventory, they could periodically electrocute the player, stunning them and draining a small amount of health (maybe giving a small amount if playing as WX, with a possible equivalent sanity drain in exchange) unless the player maybe has some sort of new electricity-resistant gear.

3 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

Give this woman a ketchup bottle already! :p

Call me dumb, but I don't understand what you're saying. Please explain?

Edit: I can't figure out how to put new quotes in edited posts, but in reference to @LiptonPee's suggestion regarding hoarding: I could definitely see them hoarding doodads, but I'd swap nitre out for gold since it's known for conducting electricity.

Edited by Dragara

@Pelliway too much free food would be disheartening, you probably can't pick them all up in that biome in one day. lol

Jokes aside since these are ideas about the tesla biome which Volt Goats were a part of, I think if these critters get struck by lightning they'd change their behavior and attack patterns. Becoming aggressive or maybe just simply making them more active and increases their movement speed like what happens to WX-78 if he gets struck by lightning.

Ahh... lots of ideas darting all over the place.

• Like 1