item:

trident

crafting: the trident would be made with 7 twigs and 3 hounds teeth

damage and durability: the damage is the same thing as a tentacle spike,durablility is double or the same amount as a (tentacle spike/spear)

nothing much to give out :)

submit ideas on how this item will have pros(good) and cons(bad)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?6751-trident-stats-(ideas)&p=52022#post52022

Edited by jakassme

too late, we have a better use for hound teeth. Tooth traps!

so your saying there can only be 1 use for hound teeth

there already is another use for the teeth the dapper vest (effects to come later, likely). but i like the trident idea. i definitely find a craving and a need for a better weapon. the tentacle spike is stronger but has the same durability. maybe the trident or even a 'golden spear' could have a greater durability but the same damage as the spear? or if we want to go balls to the wall it could be as strong as the tentacle spike and more durable too.

i guess my point is that i use my weapons more than my tools. i would trade all of those gold tools away for a more durable weapon. could care less about having to make a bunch of axes, there is flint and twigs everywhere!!!

Edited by bdiz4shiz

there already is another use for the teeth the dapper vest (effects to come later, likely). but i like the trident idea. i definitely find a craving and a need for a better weapon. the tentacle spike is stronger but has the same durability. maybe the trident or even a 'golden spear' could have a greater durability but the same damage as the spear? or if we want to go balls to the wall it could be as strong as the tentacle spike and more durable too.

i guess my point is that i use my weapons more than my tools. i would trade all of those gold tools away for a more durable weapon. could care less about having to make a bunch of axes, there is flint and twigs everywhere!!!

the balls to the walls sounds way to op on how hounds drop about 3 teeth or so per attack

Well it would be hard to do much damage if you are lugging around that weight. And the recipes ingredients are really easy to get.

the ingredients arent that easy to get howds dont drop that much teeth per attack they drop about 3-4 on day 136

the ingredients take awhile to get on how the hounds just randomly attack

other things are also preventing the player from making them if sanity comes the player has to make a dapper vest that cost about 16 hounds teeth and the tooth traps for defense

Imho the max damage a player should be able to dish out is already achieved with the tentacle spike,that is untill there are monsters released stronger than a treeguard or spider queen,maybe then more damaging weapons could be taken into consideration.If weapons make it to the game that do more damage,there should be some downsides to even them out,for example slower attack speed,or you would walk slower while carrying the weapon.

That being said,I like the trident idea,it could look really neat.And double the durability of spear/tentacle spike,is good.

I'll say this, that the idea of three "points" being better than one and another use for the hounds tooth are both solid ideas. However I'm leery about any suggestion that involves just tacking on "more damage" or "more durability" as the sole selling points. If we go down that path then we'll just end up with a completely linear tech tree... just like Minecraft.

As I've stated before, I would prefer if new weapons were either unique in concept/execution or mixed in disadvantages along with the advantages it granted. That or existing items were rebalanced, for example, if the log suit slowed down your movement speed and a new armor (i.e. hide armor, crafted from animal skins) took on the role the log suit handles now without any such penalty. But then again, I'm happy with armor durability where it is right now (considering the enemies we're facing at this time).

I like the idea of Trident, here's my stats advice

Pro - Longer reach (1 character distance further, still within Tentacle's range), larger damage (as Toaster Fu said).

Con - Slower attack animation, weaker durability (mainly to offset the usefulness), heftier cost (than the current suggested).

This needs to strike a balance though, but still able to prove its worth VS the Tooth Trap, yet not have it far too cost inefficient that a Spike/Spear will out-do it.

x2 to x2.5 Spear's damage

75 Hit durability

x1.5 Attack animation speed (pokey pokey)

I like the idea of Trident, here's my stats advice

Pro - Longer reach (1 character distance further, still within Tentacle's range), larger damage (as Toaster Fu said).

Con - Slower attack animation, weaker durability (mainly to offset the usefulness), heftier cost (than the current suggested).

This needs to strike a balance though, but still able to prove its worth VS the Tooth Trap, yet not have it far too cost inefficient that a Spike/Spear will out-do it.

x2 to x2.5 Spear's damage

75 Hit durability

x1.5 Attack animation speed (pokey pokey)

i might add this to my post :)

I think, first things first, what we need to make clear here is what's the objective of making a new weapon: diversity or progression? A.k.a. should the new weapon be plain better than the old one, making a weapon progression, or just be the same in "power" but different in how it works?

I think both things have its pros and cons. Having a "linear progressions" can be boring, but at the same time it kinda rewards to keep going and getting further in the game, giving some motivation. Having a bunch of equally good weapons can be more fun at first, but in the end most people would just find which weapon suits em best and simply stick with that forever, and all the rest of the selection would be pointless.

Then there's also the possibility of making situational weapons. Not better or worse overall, but simply better or worse for specific situations or objectives. Although admittedly right now there's not much need for that, but there might be in the future with new monsters and dangers added.

I actually really like this idea. If you stab something with three blades it makes sense that it would do more damage then with just one.

Have you ever seen someone laying on a bed of nails? Adding more points reduces the effectiveness of the points. They don't multiply, more like divide. :)

But that's realism, which has no place in this awesome game!

Have you ever seen someone laying on a bed of nails? Adding more points reduces the effectiveness of the points. They don't multiply, more like divide. :)

But that's realism, which has no place in this awesome game!

But if you're trying to forcefully thrust the trident into something… I think this requires some real life testing, trident anyone?

But if you're trying to forcefully thrust the trident into something… I think this requires some real life testing, trident anyone?

When they lay on the nails they do it slowly and gently. Toaster completely tore your thought apart with the word force lol.

Perhaps the trident has the nuisance of pulling your enemy closer towards you and preventing kiting (like they do in real life), this would be good for krampus and Gobblers but give the enemies a chance to do some real damage as well.

omg people trident you in real life :o im scared

When they lay on the nails they do it slowly and gently. Toaster completely tore your thought apart with the word force lol.

You try laying on one nail slowly and gently. You are already putting as much force as you can behind the spear.

Okay, the physics: A pointed weapon is designed to focus energy. You start with muscles, which convert chemical energy into force, which imparts momentum & kinetic energy to the weapon. This force accelerates the weapon toward the target. The longer the wind-up, the more chemical energy your muscles can convert into kinetic energy, so the weapon focuses energy over time (the time you are accelerating the weapon toward the target) into a single moment of impact. A club does this. A mace is basically a weighted club with a rigid end. The rigidity focuses that moment more narrowly and the weight slows the wind-up, thus increasing the amount of energy stored in the weapon prior to impact. A bladed weapon takes all that energy/momentum and focuses it along a very narrow blade. This focuses the energy over space, allowing a weapon which is strong enough to take the force of impact (and apply it to the target) to apply all the force over a much smaller area of the target. A pointed weapon does the same, only more-so. So, a weapon with 1 point puts all the energy you apply onto a single point on the target (thus, piercing skin or other resistant outer surfaces and penetrating the gooey, delicate interior, where the vital organs are.

When you add more points, you increase the odds of finding one of those vital organs, but you divide the energy at each point by the total number of points. This is true whether all the energy involved is the gravitational potential energy of a body slowly and gently laying on a bed of nails or all the kinetic energy a murderous scientist can put behind a spear.

Again, this is all physics realism. Not relevant to the suggestion, which has to do with gameplay, not physics.

The thing is if you need more than 1/3 of your strength to pierce flesh with a spear... you're not in the best shape, lol. Normally it shouldn't really be an issue to do so with what's basically a 3-pointed spear. Otherwise they wouldn't even exist as a weapon to begin with.