How's the game play for deaf players?

I'm interested in feedback from any deaf players on how the game play is.  I'd like to recommend it to a deaf friend but I want to make sure the lack of certain audio cues isn't a deal breaker (Hounds, Krampus, Etc).  How would you rate the play-ability and fun factor?

i am not deaf.But when something is coming, the character will say something that alerts the player or when a giant is coming, ie Deerclops, the screen will shaking and the character will also say something that will help you know that the deerclops is coming.

The sound in ds mostly are ambient, character' sound and i THINK that's it.

• Developer

(Oh, Derpime beat me to it, though I still have information of that mod to help out with the Krampus issue!)

I'm not deaf, though hounds and giants wouldn't be a problem for deaf players, since the character shouts an announcement once hounds or (a) boss(es) or coming!

Krampus only has a warning sound, though... this mod right here will help you with that, since it shows your naughty points and when they reach the maximum that spawns Krampus! :grin:

I suppose deaf players are at a slight disadvantage. And I'm not talking about the Krampus sounds, because let's be honest, that guy is hard to summon intentionally. Rather, I'm talking about night and caves. A normal player can hear grunting or snooring and guess: "Oh there's a beast that way! Might be beefalo."

It might be useful to have an option where mute characters like Wes and Wilbur display a wordless text message to indicate a hound/giant attack. Like "!" for hounds and "!!" for Krampus and "!!!" for giants.

Klei included an option for Wigfrid's umlauts (Which I gather can be really disorientating if your native language uses them a lot) so it might be something worth considering for the main game itself.

(Also Colourblindness? Maybe food items could do with text/icon indicators for their freshness instead of just the colour.)

Most game changing things are greatly telegraphed and usually comented by the character. The only problem I can think of is that you can normally hear farther than you can see in don't starve, so you might have a bit of trouble knowing what's near you but outside your vision range, like the beefalo you're searching or the huge beefield.

9 hours ago, DwerBomb said:

that does indeed happen only in DST. In DS it still pauses

unless i am really wrong, which might be

It might just have to do with me opening the console all the time to reveal the map and teleport...

EDIT: Yes, the console is meant to pause the game, but for some reason un-pauses the game when the map has previously paused the game. This does not apply to other screens and widgets. Weird.

On 2/6/2016 at 7:29 AM, RalphKastro said:

Most game changing things are greatly telegraphed and usually comented by the character. The only problem I can think of is that you can normally hear farther than you can see in don't starve, so you might have a bit of trouble knowing what's near you but outside your vision range, like the beefalo you're searching or the huge beefield.

Doesn't the "Where's my Beefalo?" mod add things like that to the map? Combined with the minimap mod a deaf player could have a work around. (I don't use the WMB mod personally...) 

I never play with sound and it's never a problem.

Maybe except Hound/Giant attacks as Wes because he has no dialogue indicating an attack except random pantomime which might be unseen, but you are playing as Wes, challenge is kinda his point.

Archived