Man I STILL love this game!

I just got the new DLC and wow it's incredible. The music is so nice, just like it always is. Shipwrecked pulls me in by being very difficult while also being an incredible new world to explore. 

I hadn't touched Don't Starve for a while and was mainly just playing DST, yet now this has me back. I keep coming back to this forum to rant about how good this game is and how good Klei is. Like, with all the poor games and cheap developers on Steam, Klei is a god-send with their content. How did you react when you first tried Shipwrecked? 

I remember only lasting a few days because of poison. So I'm thankful for the seashell suit! 

Can't believe we've had this game less than a month and I'm still discovering new things, figuring things out, and I haven't gotten through volcano season yet. (I"m close though!) 

So far I haven't had the chance to test my mettle against volcano season; my first death I got poisoned and couldn't find a cure so I just went on a suicidal sea voyage until my boat started to sink (the poison got me first), I got stuck on a raft at nightfall and couldn't stop paddling so Charlie got me on night 2, the third time I ran out of sanity during monsoon season and shadow monsters ate me, and then on my fourth save everything was going well until I got pecked to death by tallbirds.

Funny, I found SW very easy.

Annoying but easy.

I think the way how boats take damage instead of you makes sea combat quite trivial.

Ironically the hardest thing I find is the regular hounds since the amount of ways to deal with them got significantly limited.

Yeah until you find yourself with 5% durability and get devoured by a single wave. AND DROWN.

Then you just jump onto one of the 4 boats you have pre-built in your naval tab.

Or you wear the ridiculously cheap-to craft Life Jacket.

If you die on the sea in SW, it is really just... cuz you need to get gud : -p

Boats are much cheaper to get than healing items and Life Jacket has no penalties unlike Effigy or something, I think as it is now the sea is very very safe in SW really.

I love the art work. Like how the ocean looks and sailing feels good. Exploring is fun at first but kinda get bored after realizing the world is kinda lacking in content for now. Krissures totally scare the hack out of me. Mobs looks very nice and I love how they look. AI need some more work. Fishbone is nowhere to be found. Really don't like how gold is so limited. 500 coins sink into the slot machine and I still haven't gotten a walking cane :C.

That's about it.

Then you just jump onto one of the 4 boats you have pre-built in your naval tab.

Or you wear the ridiculously cheap-to craft Life Jacket.

If you die on the sea in SW, it is really just... cuz you need to get gud : -p

Boats are much cheaper to get than healing items and Life Jacket has no penalties unlike Effigy or something, I think as it is now the sea is very very safe in SW really.

Getting hit by sea hounds one time in the later days gaurantees death by stunlock. So that's... functional.

Getting hit by sea hounds one time in the later days gaurantees death by stunlock. So that's... functional.

And that is about the only thing that can "kill" you on the sea yes, but really it doesn't since you have the dirty-cheap life vest, which is like the best resurrection item in the game too.

The rest you can either just tank because they deal too little damage (stinkrays, ballphins) or outright kill because of useless movesets. (swordfish, whales)

If you get heavily damaged you just craft a boat... (or have it pre-crafted to save material space) hop over, demolish your old boat to get half of the materials back and you suffer no loss to health or your armor durability.

The sea combat is kind of awkward, but they offset it completely by making too many tools that make it into a non-issue.

And that is about the only thing that can "kill" you on the sea yes, but really it doesn't since you have the dirty-cheap life vest, which is like the best resurrection item in the game too.

The rest you can either just tank because they deal too little damage (stinkrays, ballphins) or outright kill because of useless movesets. (swordfish, whales)

If you get heavily damaged you just craft a boat... (or have it pre-crafted to save material space) hop over, demolish your old boat to get half of the materials back and you suffer no loss to health or your armor durability.

The sea combat is kind of awkward, but they offset it completely by making too many tools that make it into a non-issue.

If the only way to counter a given danger is by using respawn points there is effectively no way to counter said danger as anything can be countered this way. While it's true, there are ways to avoid being hit by a shark once and to take them all out at once (panflute, spearguns, etc.) but they're not 100% reliable as if the hounds come in to fast or fail to "bark" at the same time it's pretty easy to get set into stunlock. I sincerely hope Klei changes this. It's as broken as the old meteors with no proper way to avoid aside from staying on land after every 3 days waiting for the hound attack. The unfortunate part of it is not every player has experienced it the same way they experienced meteors a while back so it'll be hard for the community to voice their opinion on the matter and we might not see a change put in place to fix this terrible mechanic.

If the only way to counter a given danger is by using respawn points there is effectively no way to counter said danger as anything can be countered this way.

You can't just tank 8+ hounds on ground without doing anything either though.

You have less ways to deal with them on sea, true.

But that is why they have implemented an easy "way out" in the form of life vests which mitigates the drawbacks of the not-so-stellar naval combat and the cheap spearguns which can be used in long-range.

A dozen spearguns can deal with most sea hound attacks, without you taking any damage if you do a little bit of kiting.

You can also place tooth traps on the sea, for now at least. Since that may be a bug.

You can't just tank 8+ hounds on ground without doing anything either though.

You have less ways to deal with them on sea, true.

But that is why they have implemented an easy "way out" in the form of life vests which mitigates the drawbacks of the not-so-stellar naval combat and the cheap spearguns which can be used in long-range.

A dozen spearguns can deal with most sea hound attacks, without you taking any damage if you do a little bit of kiting.

You can also place tooth traps on the sea, for now at least. Since that may be a bug.

I know, I'm saying if you get hit by a hound while running from a huge pack, yeah, you're gonna take quite a bit of damage but it doesn't gaurantee death. If you get hit a single time on the boat from one of the sharx you're dead, no question.

Archived