Casuals are ruining this game.

The DLCs/Expansions should make the game harder, not easier; as each one comes out it should increase difficulty more than the last. Everyone needs to stop whining about difficulty when its one of the main selling points of the game. I don't want this to become Dark Souls 2 where everything was made easier because all of the casuals complained about it in Dark Souls 1.

Sure. That's the very definition of engaging. Managing the weather which is messing with my base is more engaging than throwing some warm clothing on during winter or keeping cool during summer, or is that what you're looking for? More weather in which you make a piece of clothing and become completely immune to most of its effects.

Yes, that is what I want. Because I want to do OTHER things rather than dodge stupid rocks.

I want to hunt for Pengull nests, I want to hunt McTusk I want to do engaging things like that.

I don't want to stand somewhere for hours and dodge stupid rocks falling from the sky or keep fixing my walls.

That is not Don't Starve gameplay, that is just utter shite.

I have never got killed by the SW weather, it just bored me out of my mind and forced me to go back to play RotG.

Repairing stuff or building it somewhere else is not good gameplay, it is a pointless timesink that has no purpose whatsoever but to cover up the fact that the current developer is absolutely incapable of creating engaging gameplay.

As for Capy shaking things up, I honestly don't care about that.

I bought a DS expansion, not something to shake things up and I'm frankly starting to regret my purchase.

The DLCs/Expansions should make the game harder, not easier; as each one comes out it should increase difficulty more than the last. Everyone needs to stop whining about difficulty when its one of the main selling points of the game. I don't want this to become Dark Souls 2 where everything was made easier because all of the casuals complained about it in Dark Souls 1.

Exactly. 

I don't think that we're asking for too much when we say we'd like the game to continue increasing in difficulty with each new expansion. Difficulty, unbeknownst to some, is one of the main contributing factors which causes many people to continue playing games.

I don't speak for everybody, but when a game becomes too easy for me, I lose interest in it.

Yes, that is what I want. Because I want to do OTHER things rather than dodge stupid rocks.

I want to hunt for Pengull nests, I want to hunt McTusk I want to do engaging things like that.

I don't want to stand somewhere for hours and dodge stupid rocks falling from the sky or keep fixing my walls.

That is not Don't Starve gameplay, that is just utter shite.

I have never got killed by the SW weather, it just bored me out of my mind and forced me to go back to play RotG.

Repairing stuff or building it somewhere else is not good gameplay, it is a pointless timesink that has no purpose whatsoever but to cover up the fact that the current developer is absolutely incapable of creating engaging gameplay.

So do other things. I'm on my second year and my base is somewhere that I hardly spend any of my time since I'm out doing other things. I go to my base to craft and store things, not to sit there building an impenetrable fortress so that I don't have to move from it.

If the seasons are stopping you from leaving your base, then I don't think you're opinion on difficulty holds any weight, because as I said, I'm barely in my base and I'm having little issues with "doing other things". Saying that however, the content is a little light right now to say the least, so there's not all that much to do while out of your base, but that's a problem with the game still being heavily in its development stages.

I'll tell you. The rainwater wouldn't be able to efficiently escape the sand bag prison that you've set up.

Ok, lets say squad ABCD is one of those typical island we find in SW, and the surrounding blue is the ocean.

The squad is further divided into 4 equal sized squad a,b,c and d. Each squad is 1m^2 in area. When it rain a,b,c and d get the same amount of rainfall, namely x m^3/hr. d is the lower ground and is where we have build our base.

What happen when the rain start falling?

The answer is that large proportion of the water a b and c have received will flow toward the lower ground which is d and the surounding ocean. Just for the sake of demonstration lets say all the water from a,b and c flows toward d. Effectively that means d will now receive 3 times more rain water (4x m^3/hr).

Does that means d will be having floods and a b c will just be fine? That will depends on how quickly water is able to dispatch across ABCE into the ocean.

Say if the dispatch rate on ground is limited to x m^3/hr, then for the first hour a b and c will have no floods at all, and d will have flood at height of 3x m.

Now what if a,b,c and d are each surrounded by the same sand bag prison you have mentioned above?

The answer is that a,b,c and d will each have the same amount of water within the squad.

Now, what if d is our base and it is in fact not completely surrounded by sand bag? That, the corner D has actually remain open which allow water to dispatch to the ocean?

The answer is that, water from a, b and c won't be dispatch towards d, and d can handle the x m^3/hr rainfall on its own.

So there you go, how sand bag can save lower ground even in heavy rain.

post-378499-0-79041100-1450976759_thumb.

Okay. Coming from a not-so-noob-butstillkindacausual player from the RoG Beta, RoG was perfect. People like you didn't get angry about it being too easy, casual's didn't complain about it being too hard. In my opinion(not forcing it on anyone else) it means doing what OP wants, but keeping the trawl net in. I don't hate the meteors. I think they provide a challenge. Instead of arguing over whether it should be more difficult or easier, let's think about ways we can hit the Reign of Giants medium.

Seriously? You make a post like this when you're ignorant to the fact that sandbags set across a beach have long since been a way of preventing the ocean from flooding into certain locations. A quick google search would tell you this. I'm so kind though, so I'll even help you myself with some pictures. 

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/1kr8nb/picture37388739/ALTERNATES/FREE_640/ntbbags

http://beachapedia.org/images/c/ca/Sandbags.jpg

Now feel free to show me people using sandbags to stop the rain, because that really will be a comedy gold thing to view. Last time I checked, the rain comes from the sky, not across the earths floor.

It's insane how hard you're fighting this point when you know exactly how wrong you are. You're not going to make a sandbag that huge with two shovel loads of sand and a bit of cloth. We're talking about the garden variety, size of a bag of cement, kind of sandbags.

And no one is saying you use them to stop the rain directly. Rain causes bodies of water to overflow and sandbags are used to keep important areas, like peoples homes, dry. That's it. In SW they're there for the same reason, keep important areas dry from the aftermath of heavy rain.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm on board with the game needing to be harder part of this discussion. I just couldn't let that sandbag comment slip by :|

It's insane how hard you're fighting this point when you know exactly how wrong you are. You're not going to make a sandbag that huge with two shovel loads of sand and a bit of cloth. We're talking about the garden variety, size of a bag of cement, kind of sandbags.

And no one is saying you use them to stop the rain directly. Rain causes bodies of water to overflow and sandbags are used to keep important areas, like peoples homes, dry. That's it. In SW they're there for the same reason, keep important areas dry from the aftermath of heavy rain.

Moving goalposts when you get called out on being wrong doesn't suddenly change that fact I'm afraid.

Sandbags still do nothing to protect an open space that has no roof. Why do you think roads still get flooded?

People place those sandbags in areas that make sense, like in front of their front door so that water doesn't seep in.

Okay. Coming from a not-so-noob-butstillkindacausual player from the RoG Beta, RoG was perfect. People like you didn't get angry about it being too easy, casual's didn't complain about it being too hard. In my opinion(not forcing it on anyone else) it means doing what OP wants, but keeping the trawl net in. I don't hate the meteors. I think they provide a challenge. Instead of arguing over whether it should be more difficult or easier, let's think about ways we can hit the Reign of Giants medium.

I'm sure that's what everybody that is agreeing with me wants.

I may have worded my post a little harsh, but I'm not asking for some completely new don't starve experience that kills all but the very best of the game.

All I want is for a jump in difficulty reminiscent to when RoG was released. RoG pushed people at first, now it's time for Shipwrecked to do the same and continue upping the difficulty to satisfactory levels.

That's going to be hard to achieve though with all of the threads asking to nerf the seasons into the ground.

Why don't I see any threads about how game breakingly overpowered some items are?

Meatballs remain a ridiculously easy and crazy way to beat hunger. Surf n Turf heals what? 75 health?

On my current map, I have a base set up on an island with 16 limpet rocks, 25 berries, and a swamp with mermen fishers, as well as a beach full of palm trees. A quick 20 second boat ride away leads to another island with ANOTHER 15 limpets on it.

I can make surf n turf for days, but apparently that totally fine as long as it's not something that can actually kill you.

Moving goalposts when you get called out on being wrong doesn't suddenly change that fact I'm afraid.

Sandbags still do nothing to protect an open space that has no roof. Why do you think roads still get flooded?

People place those sandbags in areas that make sense, like in front of their front door so that water doesn't seep in.

I'm sure that's what everybody that is agreeing with me wants.

I may have worded my post a little harsh, but I'm not asking for some completely new don't starve experience that kills all but the very best of the game.

All I want is for a jump in difficulty reminiscent to when RoG was released. RoG pushed people at first, now it's time for Shipwrecked to do the same and continue upping the difficulty to satisfactory levels.

That's going to be hard to achieve though with all of the threads asking to nerf the seasons into the ground.

Why don't I see any threads about how game breakingly overpowered some items are?

Meatballs remain a ridiculously easy and crazy way to beat hunger. Surf n Turf heals what? 75 health?

On my current map, I have a base set up on an island with 16 limpet rocks, 25 berries, and a swamp with mermen fishers, as well as a beach full of palm trees. A quick 20 second boat ride away leads to another island with ANOTHER 15 limpets on it.

I can make surf n turf for days, but apparently that totally fine as long as it's not something that can actually kill you.

Take out 90% of these berry bush and etc and there will still be enough food laying around.

The only issue is these islands will looks even more empty than ever.

No, ROG don't have as many food available when compared to SW.

However, in ROG, berry bush, cactus, spiders and etc are still very much abundant. None of us find it difficult/challenging looking for food in ROG. I bet most of us haven't die to hunger for so long that non of us could remember how it feel.

It's insane how hard you're fighting this point when you know exactly how wrong you are.

I have similar feeling about this too. :C

If all OP want is to disable some base building during that rainy season, there is a easier way to do it.

Just make it so that when an object has x amount of wetness, it will be unusabled until it dry out. I think it sounds better than some non sense magic water puddle that has nothing to do with rainfall.

Oh I moved the goalposts? Not the guy that switched from talking about ordinary sandbags to car sized ones? Okay.

Look, I'm not going to spend any more of this evening arguing this point because it's kind of sad that either of us has dedicated this much time to it already, but you originally said sandbags weren't intended to combat flooding but rather to stop the tides, and that's just not true. Whether it makes sense or not they're there to help combat the floods in spring, implying that there are supposed to be ways to combat the seasons.

Lightning rod for winter storms, sandbags for spring flooding and appeasing the volcano for summer eruptions. You also might be premature with this entire thread because the "nerf" to summer is likely just a temporary fix until appeasing the volcano is out so that people can actually enjoy the game over Christmas. 

Oh I moved the goalposts? Not the guy that switched from talking about ordinary sandbags to car sized ones? Okay.

Look, I'm not going to spend any more of this evening arguing this point because it's kind of sad that either of us has dedicated this much time to it already, but you originally said sandbags weren't intended to combat flooding but rather to stop the tides, and that's just not true. Whether it makes sense or not they're there to help combat the floods in spring, implying that there are supposed to be ways to combat the seasons.

Lightning rod for winter storms, sandbags for spring flooding and appeasing the volcano for summer eruptions. You also might be premature with this entire thread because the "nerf" to summer is likely just a temporary fix until appeasing the volcano is out so that people can actually enjoy the game over Christmas. 

Not the guy that switched from talking about ordinary sandbags to car sized ones?

They both serve the same purpose. Size is irrelevant. You're the one that was apparently oblivious to the fact that sandbags being used to halt a high tide from flooding a town is a thing that has been around for a long time now.

but you originally said sandbags weren't intended to combat flooding but rather to stop the tides

Except no, I never? I said sandbags aren't intended to combat flooding that occurs from a torrential downpour alone, which they factually aren't. A river bank flood or something like that can also see sandbags being utilized.

I threw in the fact that sandbags are used to combat rising sea level floods, which was also, factually correct.

I said sandbags aren't intended to combat flooding that occurs from a torrential downpour alone, which they factually aren't

Except they are intended to comband rain flooding. If they weren't, developer had said that they weren't. One of the Capy guys said that Sandbags are broken right now. If they worked as intended, he wouldn't had said that that.

Except they are intended to comband rain flooding. If they weren't, developer had said that they weren't. One of the Capy guys said that Sandbags are broken right now. If they worked as intended, he wouldn't had said that that.

We were discussing real life application of sand bags.

Jesus christ, are half of the people on this board illiterate or something. No wonder they want the game to be dumbed down.

We were discussing real life application of sand bags.

Jesus christ, are half of the people on this board illiterate or something. No wonder they want the game to be dumbed down.

No wonder someone call you rude earlier. :C

That is a weird conclusion. Personally, I would like to have increased difficulty, but I'm not sure if I like the fact that sandbags would became useless.

Here's the problem though. If sandbags are indeed intended to act as a sponge and soak up all of the surrounding flood water, then what is the point of Monsoon season? Because even now, with no way to remove the flooded areas, Monsoon season is still way too easy, so if we add in a way to remove the entire purpose of the season, then I don't know why it even exists.

No wonder someone call you rude earlier. :C

Hey, it's not my fault people are refusing to read the conversation that they're joining in on.

I'm just trying to discuss how we can make Shipwrecked more difficult, which is something it urgently needs.

I don't know why you don't see these threads.

Because i've found threads about :

- it's too easy to obtain fish from fisherman, they should eat some of the fish and maybe be hostile

- the news food are too good, especially surf and turf, good for sanity, hunger and health and not difficult to make

- spider vs snake fight are too common, you just have to pick the drop

- it's too easy to use ice as a filler since the ice maker give you plenty of it

And some others like this.

I don't agree about all (like the "spider vs snake", not so different of the "merm vs spider in swamp" in normal ds, or "merm vs tentacle", for example)

But there is thread about things making the game too easy. And there is thread about things making the game too difficult. And the two could be true.

RoG was too difficult in some things too : i remember the first day of the bêta : in winter, snow was making you wet, and your sanity was quickly very low : so insanity monster + cold + wetness + lack of food + all the others stuffs was too hard for winter.

Now, snow don't make you wet, but RoG is still harder than standard DS.

So it's not because some of the difficulty is removed that all the game will be more easy.

You mean you don't like these types of threads because they call out people who seem to want the game to be a cakewalk devoid of any challenge? Because I fail to see where the rudeness and selfishness comes from. You think people who have played DS since the day it came out aren't allowed to ask for difficult content because some other people can't deal with it? What is this?

And don't give me that crap about the Volcano season being dumb luck. If that were the case, then people like me wouldn't have survived it every single time it came around. There is a clear indication as to where the blasts would land. I don't know how much more telegraphed you want the hazards to be.

This is all irrelevant anyway, considering I mentioned that I was fine with them not being 1 hit kills. My concern stems from the fact that you can now get hit with 15 blasts and still live. They're easy to dodge and 

As for your simple fact, that applies to you too, or did you think you were exempt from that? I don't want to play your casual happy version of this game were nothing can possibly kill you. I've seen enough threads on here begging for nerfs to things that are, quite frankly, simple to deal with. If your voice can be heard, then so can mine, and people who have played since the beginning that are now at the point in which survival is trivial. That's why DLC like this has the opportunity to breath new life into the game by upping the ante. 

As for Hurricane season destroying your walls. Big deal. Perhaps the devs didn't want you to be able to sit behind your wall throughout the seasons. Perhaps that's exactly why so many of these new seasons have adopted base destroying mechanics. Base building has gotten to the point of being way too safe. There's no downsides to it. Now there is, and hopefully it stays that way, with more similar weather effects on the horizon.

Take a look at how many people died during their first run of Shipwrecked. The number is low. I could namedrop a few streamers who made it past the first year or two without coming close to death.

So please, stop pretending that it's luck that is killing you when you play, when it is infact your own lack of skill.

It's absolutely luck...I've survived countless hundreds to thousands of days playing RoG, with every character. The only thing that ever killed me in RoG was stuff in the caves. The problem with volcano season wasn't my ability to play the game.

Something to remember is this is a BETA game. It's UNFINISHED. I came to these forums to report a couple of bugs, and most of what I've seen is the ultra hardcore such as yourself demanding an impossibly difficult game riddled with random death. Sorry, but I have to add my voice to the mix to counter that repeated call. The game needs some kind of balance, because your not the only kind of player of this game, and the simple fact of the matter is your post is extremely rude to more casual players such as myself. It's rude and assumptive, and your calling for the wrong solution.

You seem to have missed my point about asking for the game to be CONFIGURABLE. You guys who demand an extremely difficult game always demand for it to be insanely difficult period, and you blame the current state of a BETA game on "the casuals". Why not instead demand that Klei deliver something that will allow all the players, every LEGITIMATE player of this game, regardless of how they want to play it or why, the ability to customize the game's difficulty? You seem to think that ruins the challenge for you guys, that it even can be configured. BULL! That's a load of crap, you know it, everyone knows it. If you have a configurable game and want it to be a challenge, crank the difficulty up! Simple as that! Once your in your maximum difficulty game, the fact that it could have been configured to be easier DOES NOT MATTER. Get over it!

The simple FACT of the matter is not everyone plays like you do. You guys need to stop insulting casual players and realize that fact, because it isn't going away. This game CAN cater to every different playing style...Klei just needs to give us the power to control the difficulty aspects ourselves. That would solve the problem, for everyone. That's what I'm calling for.

I don't want a game that is insanely easy to play. I want a challenging game. I just don't want random chance to kill me instantly and without warning. That WAS a problem, that problem has been fixed. I agree that Volcano season is too easy now, the bombs don't last all that long and I don't seem to overheat on the ocean anymore. I think those things could be fixed. I disagree that hurricane season works as designed in regards to walls. I have no problem with wall degradation, I think there should be a challenge to keeping your base up and functional during hurricane and monsoon seasons. However near-instant total wall destruction is a broken game mechanic. It's clearly a bug, and it needs to be fixed. If you really like how it works, then that should be a configurable option, it shouldn't be left broken as it is permanently.

If you guys really want the game to be as challenging as possible (and, BTW, your not the only one's who have been around for a while, I've been playing this game for a long time, I'm only new to the forums), then maybe you need to call on Klei to configure what crafting options are available in your games. Maybe you should find ways of limiting yourself with a custom world that only allows you to build spears and wood armor, and eliminates the heavier duty armors. Or eliminates certain types of walls, or farms and drying racks. There are ways to make this game configurable enough such that guys like yourself, who have totally mastered every aspect of the game, can still struggle for survival, without making it too difficult for other players (there are still new people buying this game who haven't mastered every aspect of it yet...and I believe it's wrong to call for the alienation of such players. I do not count myself in that group, FWIW.) 

Welp, if we're going in guns ablazing, here's my take on this.

Shipwrecked, at the default level, is currently overly easy. Here is how I believe this can be fixed:

-Decrease the benefits of surf n' turf and seafood gumbo

-Eliminate the 9 bush berrybush patches and replace them with 3-4 bush patches

-Make fishermerms neutral

-SLIGHTLY increase the amount of meteor in volcano season, perhaps 8-10 meteors per day

Now while most of these may seem challenging, I would not implement them without WORLD GENERATION OPTIONS. This could solve everyone's problems. Default shipwrecked would seem hard, but casual players with world gen options could:

-Make food sources more (or less) plentiful

-Make meteor showers less (or more) intense

-Make any mob, plant, or structure more or less available depending on an individual's playstyle. 

Wow, what a whiny title. Your contempt for players who aren't as good at Don't Starve as you is more annoying than any number of "poison is overpowered, nerf plz" threads.

Players are supposed to be able to build reasonably safe bases, hence why walls and traps exist. The keyword is "reasonably." Before the main game was even out of Early Access the Deerclops was introduced specifically to threaten those safe bases, in a much more targeted way than hound waves. You shouldn't be able to make an impenetrable bunker of a base before day 100 or if you're still struggling to unlock the Shadow Manipulator, but there's no reason to believe that's the direction Shipwrecked's balance is going to go; your regular early-to-mid-game base is just less likely to get razed to the ground or rendered unusable by the weather than it was at launch.

There is no reason to believe that flooding was ever meant to be inescapable. It's possible that players are using the sandbags wrong or that they're too glitchy to be reliable right now or both, but they definitely exist to reduce or block flooding, because they're redundant with wood walls in all other respects and adding them would be unnecessary extra work if they did nothing new.

Personally I didn't mind the murderously difficult launch build in mild, hurricane, or flood season, but I was deliberately avoiding volcano season because I didn't want to lose everything I'd worked for to falling rocks and forest fires. "Don't be in your base if you don't want it smashed" was not how the developers intended players to solve the problem; exploiting the quirks of the game engine was just the only way to come out of volcano season with your base un-smashed. You can also avoid your base catching fire from RoG summer wildfires that way, but we still have Ice Flingomatics because you're supposed to be able to protect your base in ways other than taking advantage of the fact that areas far away from the player aren't rendered with the same complexity as what's currently on-screen.

Also, there was a glitch in the volcano code that caused the rate of eruption to just keep increasing in some people's games until the rocks were falling every couple of seconds and you really couldn't avoid getting hit. (Unless you were on a boat, because there was also a bug that made boats invulnerable to flying rocks and that somewhat cancelled out the first glitch.) This didn't happen to everyone, but it happened to enough people to spread considerable confusion about how difficult volcano season was actually supposed to be.

Besides that most players,

especially the people that loved the old one shotting volcano season,

abused the living s**t out of the boat invincibility glitch:

"Oh you casulas...it isn´t even hard!

Just get in the boat and dodge for 1 hour the wimpy 3000 damage volcano bombs,

that is incredibly fun and totally legit....hohohohohoh."

I dont mind challenge, but there has to be a counter to ít.

And the counter shouldn´t be breaking the game or running around half a season.

Base building is an important part of DS and it is the most creative aspect of the game,

of corse there can be base threatening stuff to challenge the player,

like a giant Sea Cucumber Boss that wants to rek your s**t or lava that flows to your base,

but there has to be a solution to that, like kiting the mobs away from your base

or structures that can counter the threats.

We shouldn´t forget, there is nothing like puddles

that spawn under your structures and then make them useless or

volcano bombs that break and burn anything on the screen down

in DS Vanilla, DS ROG or DST without proper solutions

and there shouldn´t be stuff like that in DS SW either.

Make SW hard, challenge the players, but give us also proper solutions for problems,

solutions that may be hard to craft, depending on the threat.

P.S.

And please nerf the hunger value of Meatballs

and get rid of ice as filler for dishes that arn´t cold.

...and raise the health of mobs like palm guards and whales.

Thanks Klei and Capy.

We love you. ^^

Hey, it's not my fault people are refusing to read the conversation that they're joining in on.

I'm just trying to discuss how we can make Shipwrecked more difficult, which is something it urgently needs.

People get offended by your post, they call you rude. Totally normal reaction. Just saying.

Welp, if we're going in guns ablazing, here's my take on this.

Shipwrecked, at the default level, is currently overly easy. Here is how I believe this can be fixed:

-Decrease the benefits of surf n' turf and seafood gumbo

-Eliminate the 9 bush berrybush patches and replace them with 3-4 bush patches

-Make fishermerms neutral

-SLIGHTLY increase the amount of meteor in volcano season, perhaps 8-10 meteors per day

Now while most of these may seem challenging, I would not implement them without WORLD GENERATION OPTIONS. This could solve everyone's problems. Default shipwrecked would seem hard, but casual players with world gen options could:

-Make food sources more (or less) plentiful

-Make meteor showers less (or more) intense

-Make any mob, plant, or structure more or less available depending on an individual's playstyle. 

I would add to those the ability to configure available crafting items in the world generation options. Some people seem to have so fully mastered the game, that they need even further challenges. Perhaps the ability to disable certain things from being available in the game, or increase the difficulty with which they are crafted (i.e. make regular spears require gold to craft, or require more materials, or something like that.) 

Archived