Casuals are ruining this game.

Title says it all.

Too much crying from the vocal minority who want all challenge removed from the game.

Shipwrecked is already too easy. Stop nerfing challenging aspects and buffing things that make your time playing even easier.

All 3 seasons are very easy to deal with. They need MORE threatening aspects to them, not less.

All new enemies added are overly easy.

Crockpot alone makes all of your food issues disappear (technically not a shipwrecked only issue)

After years of playing Don't Starve, is it so much to ask for an update that caters towards people who have stuck with the game and, dare I say, mastered it?

Inject some much needed challenge and ignore people that cry about every little thing because they don't want to adapt and change up their play style, because I've noticed a pattern. People seem to think that their "base" is a safe haven which should be exempt from the perils of the world. Well no, it shouldn't be. The elements should have the ability to root you out of your base when they're at their worst, as well as having the ability to level it. Slight exaggeration, of course.

It's already happened with the Volcanic season. All of the challenge from that season got sucked right out of it, and now all we're left with is yet another boringly easy season. While I can sympathize with people who didn't like the instant death aspect of it, that doesn't validate the sheer gutting of this season. You don't just change the volcanic eruptions from being life threatening to dealing next to no damage and call it a day. They're slow and easily avoidable. If they're going to be left that way, then getting hit by one should cause significant damage. Enough so that 3 hits is a kill, regardless of if you're wearing armor or not.

Now Monsoon seasons flooding is being called into question.

Just like how Winter forces you to adapt to being unable to use farms (there is no counter play to stop this either. You're forced to do without them and get food from other sources), Monsoon seasons flooded areas should be unable to be dealt with either. Doing without certain machines for 1 season is hardly a big problem. The season is already a joke as it is. It needs more things to make it actually threatening, not ways to negate the already negligible challenge it's trying to provide.

The fact that both hurricane and monsoon season are countered by snake skin gear is also a design flaw. Hurricane season could do with more emphasis on the wind aspect of it, with the rain being prominent still, but less so than the wind. Right now the wind hardly does anything. Then add to Monsoon season to make it more of a challenge. Add some enemies to the Mangrove regions (Maybe have them only actually appear during Monsoon/Hurricane season) which drop components which can be used towards protecting you from getting soaked by the flooded areas. Remove that ability from snake skin gear as it's overly good for how easy it is to acquire. Snakeskin should be protecting you from rain alone.

Finally, I'd like to see the sea become more treacherous. Whirlpools and Waterspouts (Hurricane season could benefit greatly from these), huge sea creatures. Things like this I'm less worried about because the game is of course, in alpha, so I'm sure the sea will be fleshed out a lot more.

I don't use snake skin hat/ jacket. Backpack + umbrella + other hats works very well already. I don't mind being strike by lighting when I'm away from base.

Should player be able to dealt with flooding at all? I am open to any suggestion. I don't mind if they completely remove sandbag as to make it impossible to stop the flooding. However I will be disappointed if they keep the sandbag without fixing the water leaking glitch.

I do find building sandbag interesting. I like building my base more than just merely surviving in nomadic style.

Farm and pond are disabled in winter; Rabbit is unavailable in spring; Summer have very short night hours which make shaving beefalos and catching moleworm much harder. These make it so that player have to rely on other source of resource during different season, and ultimately it change the base location/ building strategy.

What will happen if player is unable to dealt with flooding?

For me, other than 1 less defensive structure I have to worry about, there won't be much of a different gameplay wise. I will keep doing my thing. Be it exploring or collecting grass/logs for next season, flooded or not won't matter. I don't have to put flooding into consideration when I build my base. It means no alchemy engine/ crockpot for 10~15 days at most, hardly significant in SW.

Just to remember you that only a fraction of the players are "survival machines". the game was not made for hardcore players.

So my idea is that thay may put an "dificulty preset" on the world gen, that would change things like how harsh season are, maybe itens durability etc, so wouldn't make too hard for casual players neither too easy for hardcore players.

Agreed, we just need sliders for difficulty, which I'm sure will come soonish. I feel like the real problem is the DLC at this point feels aimless. There's nothing to do past day 100 BUT build your base, yet the developers seem focused on thinking of ways to destroy aspects of it or keep us out of it. So by day 300 you have a base for each season and a fully explored map and then what?

Volcano season wasn't that hard once you had a plan, but nerfing it now means there's less to prepare for. Nobody thinks flood season is too hard, but everything I've read people don't seem to find it fun, there's a difference. OP argues against base building, but why have structures in the game at all? Why include new types of walls? If some "casual" wants to build a nice safe haven how does that affect you? 

When we have bosses and some sort of cave area it will be much more interesting and they can balance the other challenges a bit better. In the meantime if you're getting frustrated take a break and spend time with your family :D

Agreed, we just need sliders for difficulty, which I'm sure will come soonish. I feel like the real problem is the DLC at this point feels aimless. There's nothing to do past day 100 BUT build your base, yet the developers seem focused on thinking of ways to destroy aspects of it or keep us out of it. So by day 300 you have a base for each season and a fully explored map and then what?

Volcano season wasn't that hard once you had a plan, but nerfing it now means there's less to prepare for. Nobody thinks flood season is too hard, but everything I've read people don't seem to find it fun, there's a difference. OP argues against base building, but why have structures in the game at all? Why include new types of walls? If some "casual" wants to build a nice safe haven how does that affect you? 

When we have bosses and some sort of cave area it will be much more interesting and they can balance the other challenges a bit better. In the meantime if you're getting frustrated take a break and spend time with your family :grin:

The thing now is that season's are too focused on your base.

Moonsoon floods your base

Hurricanes may wreck things around your base

Meteor may set your base in fire...

Where is all the focus on the surviving anyway, one thing that I agree is that season are way less deadly, you have nothing like winter where you usually only have non-relyable food sources, harsh temperatures and a Gigant that comes to wreck your camp, season don't have that deadly aspect anymore, and that for me don't fits don't starve

-- Edit --

Maybe went a little bit off-topic eh!

I don't mind the puddles that form in Monsoon season, I don't mind the fact that I need to craft all the sandbags.  In fact, I find it to be an interesting challenge.  The only thing that gets annoying is when puddles spawn directly underneath my iceboxes, crockpot, and alchemy engine, forcing me to basically recreate my base in the small area that hadn't already been flooded yet 

Most people have been suggesting a rare item, like a sponge, that has a chance of being caught in trawl nets or being found in reefs.  This would allow for minimal puddle clean up without the ability to just sponge off an entire island.

If some "casual" wants to build a nice safe haven how does that affect you? 

It affects me because that would obviously imply that I too can build a safe haven, which defeats the purpose of a game based around survival if I can just sit in my base and survive indefinitely. There's no reason why your base should be a danger free area, or an area immune to the elements. That is silly.

It affects me because that would obviously imply that I too can build a safe haven, which defeats the purpose of a game based around survival if I can just sit in my base and survive indefinitely. There's no reason why your base should be a danger free area, or an area immune to the elements. That is silly.

I'm going to be quite frank here. These kinds of threads kind of tick me off. They are rude, rather insulting most of the time, and they are selfish.

I'm a more casual player, however I am NOT afraid of a challenge. What I dislike is the random and largely pointless destruction of the means by which players like myself survive, and the random and pointless instant and unavoidable death. I don't mind having to repair my walls over time, I don't mind having to beware of fire and put them out when they occur. I do mine when ten minutes into the first hurricane of the season, every wall in my entire base is completely wiped out because of rouge hail hits from ice moving along the ground (you can get dozens of hits in a matter of seconds, ripping the shreds out of your base). Nor do I like having to zip around in circles on a boat trying to avoid pyroclastic bombs I cannot see because the ash is so thick and the shadows of those bombs so faint that it's just DUMB LUCK that you survive at all. That isn't a survival game. It's dumb, random luck!

Here is the simple FACT: Not everyone plays like you do. Not everyone WANTS to play like you do. This game doesn't need to be, and should not be, just one thing: insanely difficult. It should be just like RoG, configurable in it's difficulty level, defaulting to as good a balance as Klei can determine given their full base of users, but able to be made much more difficult or less difficult as the user pleases.

I'll just leave these here, as they are entirely relevant:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/61120-volcano-season-got-nerfed-to-the-ground/?p=701153

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/61120-volcano-season-got-nerfed-to-the-ground/?p=701197

You want a challenging game? Ask Klei to give us all the option of configuring the game to our liking. Don't demand they make the game excessively intense and outlandishly difficult...period...because then your screwing with MY fun and entertainment, and the fun and entertainment of all the other "casuals" like me. Then your ruining the game for us. Were not afraid of a challenge, and we enjoy the legit survival aspects of this game...but neither do we like to play a game that is entirely based on dumb, random luck. That isn't survival, it's pure chance, and I'm entirely uninterested.

There is a balance that can be found between players such as yourself who demand intense difficulty, novice players who want a chance to learn how the game works and maybe just don't want a difficult challenge, and players like myself who want a challenge, but also want the game to actually be survivable...for as long as possible.

I'm going to be quite frank here. These kinds of threads kind of tick me off. They are rude, rather insulting most of the time, and they are selfish.

I'm a more casual player, however I am NOT afraid of a challenge. What I dislike is the random and largely pointless destruction of the means by which players like myself survive, and the random and pointless instant and unavoidable death. I don't mind having to repair my walls over time, I don't mind having to beware of fire and put them out when they occur. I do mine when ten minutes into the first hurricane of the season, every wall in my entire base is completely wiped out because of rouge hail hits from ice moving along the ground (you can get dozens of hits in a matter of seconds, ripping the shreds out of your base). Nor do I like having to zip around in circles on a boat trying to avoid pyroclastic bombs I cannot see because the ash is so thick and the shadows of those bombs so faint that it's just DUMB LUCK that you survive at all. That isn't a survival game. It's dumb, random luck!

Here is the simple FACT: Not everyone plays like you do. Not everyone WANTS to play like you do. This game doesn't need to be, and should not be, just one thing: insanely difficult. It should be just like RoG, configurable in it's difficulty level, defaulting to as good a balance as Klei can determine given their full base of users, but able to be made much more difficult or less difficult as the user pleases.

I'll just leave these here, as they are entirely relevant:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/61120-volcano-season-got-nerfed-to-the-ground/?p=701153

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/61120-volcano-season-got-nerfed-to-the-ground/?p=701197

You want a challenging game? Ask Klei to give us all the option of configuring the game to our liking. Don't demand they make the game excessively intense and outlandishly difficult...period...because then your screwing with MY fun and entertainment, and the fun and entertainment of all the other "casuals" like me. Then your ruining the game for us. Were not afraid of a challenge, and we enjoy the legit survival aspects of this game...but neither do we like to play a game that is entirely based on dumb, random luck. That isn't survival, it's pure chance, and I'm entirely uninterested.

There is a balance that can be found between players such as yourself who demand intense difficulty, novice players who want a chance to learn how the game works and maybe just don't want a difficult challenge, and players like myself who want a challenge, but also want the game to actually be survivable...for as long as possible.

You mean you don't like these types of threads because they call out people who seem to want the game to be a cakewalk devoid of any challenge? Because I fail to see where the rudeness and selfishness comes from. You think people who have played DS since the day it came out aren't allowed to ask for difficult content because some other people can't deal with it? What is this?

And don't give me that crap about the Volcano season being dumb luck. If that were the case, then people like me wouldn't have survived it every single time it came around. There is a clear indication as to where the blasts would land. I don't know how much more telegraphed you want the hazards to be.

This is all irrelevant anyway, considering I mentioned that I was fine with them not being 1 hit kills. My concern stems from the fact that you can now get hit with 15 blasts and still live. They're easy to dodge and 

As for your simple fact, that applies to you too, or did you think you were exempt from that? I don't want to play your casual happy version of this game were nothing can possibly kill you. I've seen enough threads on here begging for nerfs to things that are, quite frankly, simple to deal with. If your voice can be heard, then so can mine, and people who have played since the beginning that are now at the point in which survival is trivial. That's why DLC like this has the opportunity to breath new life into the game by upping the ante. 

As for Hurricane season destroying your walls. Big deal. Perhaps the devs didn't want you to be able to sit behind your wall throughout the seasons. Perhaps that's exactly why so many of these new seasons have adopted base destroying mechanics. Base building has gotten to the point of being way too safe. There's no downsides to it. Now there is, and hopefully it stays that way, with more similar weather effects on the horizon.

Take a look at how many people died during their first run of Shipwrecked. The number is low. I could namedrop a few streamers who made it past the first year or two without coming close to death.

So please, stop pretending that it's luck that is killing you when you play, when it is infact your own lack of skill.

Safe Haven base subject

I really don't get how people can say "your base shouldnt be a safe haven"... It always was if you know how to build...

I could build a self sustainable base probably within 20 days in any dont starve game... Only thing that can really kill you is giant (which are easily kitable) and hounds (same).

Around 20 berry bushes and some farm or a pond + a spider nest closeby and you are set for life... Now even easier with the Ice Maker.

Hardcore game subject

Its true that the game started as a rather hardcore game and is getting more and more casual.

I feel that stuff should happen over time to keep the game challenging. As of now once you reach day 50 or 100, nothing really to do in any version.

I just keep building higher tier of stuff and just win.

I'd like for stuff like Hounds attack... They upgrade as days goes on. Giants are a good step in that way, casuals can run away from them and good players fight them for the challenge. Caves are also a good exemple, hard enemies with higher damage output in general and sanity reducing stuff at the same time.

Another character in the style of Wes could be nice too (I'm already playing Wes full time for more challenge)

Around 20 berry bushes and some farm or a pond + a spider nest closeby and you are set for life... Now even easier with the Ice Maker.

Exactly my point. It's far too easy to get that winning combination going. Hell, you can have that set up within a few days.

The weather effects that the seasons in Shipwrecked are providing seem to have been designed with the intent of throwing sure win strats like that out the window. I mean, technically they failed since people were surviving for years even when the old volcano season was a thing, but still. It gives us at least a bit of insight into their thought process behind the various new seasons.

I too exclusively play Wes, for the same reasons as you do, and yes, another character in the same vein as him would be wonderful.

But anyway, your comment about the game getting more casual is precisely what the problem is. As the players get better at the game and start to understand its fundamentals, it should be evolving and continuing to increase in difficulty to match the players growing skill. Instead, it seems like we've hit a peak.

I still remember when Don't Starve first came out. The vast majority of its playerbase were overjoyed that the game challenged them (regardless of us now finding the game easy). That was one of the games main claim to fame. I have no doubt in my mind that Klei understands this, as RoG increased the difficulty quite moderately. They know their audience. Shipwrecked is being developed by somebody else though, which is why I'm reminding them with a thread like this on who the main audience of DS is.

These new players that come along and cry about difficulty when they don't even have the basics down however, should be promptly ignored. Especially ones that claim that surviving the Volcanic season was based on "luck", when many people have already proven that that simply weren't the case.

When Monsoon season came around for me and flooded my base, my first thought wasn't "Oh no, my crockpot is disabled, how dare this happen, I am in my base. Better go cry on the forums because this clearly shouldn't be allowed". I simply went without my crockpot. I didn't even bother to make another one on non flooded land. 

The only thing that needed a nerf was volcanic seasons eruptions one shotting you. NOT because of anything silly like visibility or anything, because they were clearly visible and easily dodged, but simply for the fact that 1 hit kills, regardless of how easy they are to avoid, feel like cheap forms of difficulty.

Now if those explosions did somewhere in the region of 75 health, I feel that would be fair. Armor shouldn't block that damage either.

It's a bit harsh to say anyone is ruining the game. Klei will make a decision in the end that is good for everyone. Not saying everyone will like it but there will be people who will like it.

These threads are pretty interesting and we need more of them. It's early access and there's still time to voice our opinion and get thing changed if you don't like something about SW in its current state.

OP, you need to realize that you aren't the only person playing the game. Everyone else who has purchased it deserves to have a say, too. It doesn't matter if you were "here since DS beta", ALL of the people spending their money on the game deserve to have a say on how things go. Whining about filthy casuals (cuz that's basically how you're referring to them) is just plain rude.

The world settings option is a work in progress. When it becomes available, make your own game harder. Don't dictate how it should be for everyone just cuz you don't like some of the changes made.

I have to agree, that shipwrecked is way too easy. just look at the mobs tunings. treeguards are now -25% of the health they used to have in rog. overall many of the new creatures dont have enough hp to be threatening at all.

see our new swamp biome. the old swamp was kinda threatening where you had tentacles all over the place which drained your sanity and they took quite some beating too. it took some time and affords to kill off tentacles, who had 500 hp each and sometimes useful loot. the new flups and thair loot are a joke compared to the old tentacles. you bait them out by moving in and out of thair attack range and whack them dead in 4 hits or move away again after 2 hits to dodge thair jump once more and thats it. they do good damage and a swarm of flups might be deadly, but if they dont respawn and are easily to deal with by picking up 1 at a time, they're not hard to deal with at all.

thair health might be fine, if they would respawn on marsh turf and get another ability like being able to semi invisible move around underneath the marsh turf and then ambush thair target, if they randomly get close enough to something they would attack. kinda like the old frogs used to work. let them wander around randomly underneath the marsh turf and then they would ambush once something gets in range. this would nerf swamp bases which i quite like, because you have easily accessible reeds, ponds and fisher merms around who supply you every day with fish. to prevent your swamp base from being constantly attacked by flups, the player could eliminate the marsh turf and thus prevent new flups from spawning.

next we have snakes which are even less threatening than spiders, because they do half the damage of spiders. the only good property of snakes is that the player cant stunlock them like spiders, but they could still have thair attack speed uped by a few ticks so you cant bait out thair bite and then throw out the 4 hits to kill the snake. its even possible to deliver 5 axe hits after the bite as wes. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be that easy to deal with?

OP, you need to realize that you aren't the only person playing the game. Everyone else who has purchased it deserves to have a say, too. It doesn't matter if you were "here since DS beta", ALL of the people spending their money on the game deserve to have a say on how things go. Whining about filthy casuals (cuz that's basically how you're referring to them) is just plain rude.

The world settings option is a work in progress. When it becomes available, make your own game harder. Don't dictate how it should be for everyone just cuz you don't like some of the changes made.

Why don't you wait for the world setting option and make your game easier? The game does not revolve around you, or being easy for that matter.

The games claim to fame back when it first came out was party due to its challenge. RoG increased the challenge too. 

And while we're on the subject of rudeness, thinking you have any right to silence people who are asking for more difficulty by trying to insinuate that they're being rude is pretty damn rude in its own right.

I don't get you people. What kind of challenge do you want exactly?

I don't think "challenge" is the issue here. Even the night outs mode in DS/DST can be boring as hell once you get a grasp on how it works. It is more like being experienced makes you feel bored by the game.

Wow, what a whiny title. Your contempt for players who aren't as good at Don't Starve as you is more annoying than any number of "poison is overpowered, nerf plz" threads.

Players are supposed to be able to build reasonably safe bases, hence why walls and traps exist. The keyword is "reasonably." Before the main game was even out of Early Access the Deerclops was introduced specifically to threaten those safe bases, in a much more targeted way than hound waves. You shouldn't be able to make an impenetrable bunker of a base before day 100 or if you're still struggling to unlock the Shadow Manipulator, but there's no reason to believe that's the direction Shipwrecked's balance is going to go; your regular early-to-mid-game base is just less likely to get razed to the ground or rendered unusable by the weather than it was at launch.

There is no reason to believe that flooding was ever meant to be inescapable. It's possible that players are using the sandbags wrong or that they're too glitchy to be reliable right now or both, but they definitely exist to reduce or block flooding, because they're redundant with wood walls in all other respects and adding them would be unnecessary extra work if they did nothing new.

Personally I didn't mind the murderously difficult launch build in mild, hurricane, or flood season, but I was deliberately avoiding volcano season because I didn't want to lose everything I'd worked for to falling rocks and forest fires. "Don't be in your base if you don't want it smashed" was not how the developers intended players to solve the problem; exploiting the quirks of the game engine was just the only way to come out of volcano season with your base un-smashed. You can also avoid your base catching fire from RoG summer wildfires that way, but we still have Ice Flingomatics because you're supposed to be able to protect your base in ways other than taking advantage of the fact that areas far away from the player aren't rendered with the same complexity as what's currently on-screen.

Also, there was a glitch in the volcano code that caused the rate of eruption to just keep increasing in some people's games until the rocks were falling every couple of seconds and you really couldn't avoid getting hit. (Unless you were on a boat, because there was also a bug that made boats invulnerable to flying rocks and that somewhat cancelled out the first glitch.) This didn't happen to everyone, but it happened to enough people to spread considerable confusion about how difficult volcano season was actually supposed to be.

Wow, what a whiny title. Your contempt for players who aren't as good at Don't Starve as you is more annoying than any number of "poison is overpowered, nerf plz" threads.

Players are supposed to be able to build reasonably safe bases, hence why walls and traps exist. The keyword is "reasonably." Before the main game was even out of Early Access the Deerclops was introduced specifically to threaten those safe bases, in a much more targeted way than hound waves. You shouldn't be able to make an impenetrable bunker of a base before day 100 or if you're still struggling to unlock the Shadow Manipulator, but there's no reason to believe that's the direction Shipwrecked's balance is going to go; your regular early-to-mid-game base is just less likely to get razed to the ground or rendered unusable by the weather than it was at launch.

There is no reason to believe that flooding was ever meant to be inescapable. It's possible that players are using the sandbags wrong or that they're too glitchy to be reliable right now or both, but they definitely exist to reduce or block flooding, because they're redundant with wood walls in all other respects and adding them would be unnecessary extra work if they did nothing new.

Personally I didn't mind the murderously difficult launch build in mild, hurricane, or flood season, but I was deliberately avoiding volcano season because I didn't want to lose everything I'd worked for to falling rocks and forest fires. "Don't be in your base if you don't want it smashed" was not how the developers intended players to solve the problem; exploiting the quirks of the game engine was just the only way to come out of volcano season with your base un-smashed. You can also avoid your base catching fire from RoG summer wildfires that way, but we still have Ice Flingomatics because you're supposed to be able to protect your base in ways other than taking advantage of the fact that areas far away from the player aren't rendered with the same complexity as what's currently on-screen.

Also, there was a glitch in the volcano code that caused the rate of eruption to just keep increasing in some people's games until the rocks were falling every couple of seconds and you really couldn't avoid getting hit. (Unless you were on a boat, because there was also a bug that made boats invulnerable to flying rocks and that somewhat cancelled out the first glitch.) This didn't happen to everyone, but it happened to enough people to spread considerable confusion about how difficult volcano season was actually supposed to be.

Wow, what a whiny way start to a post. Makes it even more satisfying for me to pick it apart.

"Reasonably" safe. You said it yourself. Only problem is, it evolved past being reasonably safe and turned into completely safe, making the game as a whole pointless.

Let me reiterate since you seem to be incapable of understanding the very concept that makes a game like Don't Starve fun to play. Going out into the world and surviving the perils is the key draw to the game. If you want to play base building game, then go play Minecraft or something, because Don't Starve is a survival game, first and foremost. 

"There is no reason to believe that flooding was ever meant to be inescapable."

There's no reason to believe that it isn't. Winter has already proven that a season can lock you out of certain things, and hinder you in certain others. Why you feel that you should be able to negate the entire point of the season is beyond me. It's actually baffling. What's the point of the season if you can just dry up the water? With nothing more than a bit of sand and cloth even.

It's a shame if the Volcanic season had a glitch like that, but that's still no excuse to butcher the damage of falling rocks to be that of a snake bite. Much like your suggestion for rendering Monsoon seasons main threat to be easily dealt with, we're seeing just how much of an affect that can have on a season. One quick look at the new volcanic season is all that's required. There's now nothing there that can kill or slow you down.

I still remember when Don't Starve first came out. The vast majority of its playerbase were overjoyed that the game challenged them (regardless of us now finding the game easy).

Um... I have to disagree with this one.

I started playing when they first introduced walrus hunting party.

The way I remember it:

1) combat is the same as it is now. So whether it is a treeguard or a werepig, it is still the same hit and run motion.

2) 6 rabbits a day keep you feed, turn some into small jerky for health and sanity

3) Build the ice staff to stay safe from that OP Mactusk.

That's it. It is nowhere any harder than it is in SW.

Back then rabbit hole always spawn a rabbit everyday. To stay alive in the long winter all I've to do is  make a firepit in the middle of 6 rabbit holes, plant some trees for fuel, get some grass and make rabbit traps. I don't think trapping rabbit is that challenging.

My only issue back then were with the Mactusk. He run away forever like rabbit and his dart hits much harder than it is now. The best way to deal with himwas to use the ice staff on him first, deal with the hounds and finish him last. Once I got this figure out the game aren't that much of a challenge. Mactusk drops a ton of meat so I farm him alot.

Edit: I forget to mention, back then grass/twig regrow during winter. I don't even have to set up a grass'twig farm.

Now Monsoon seasons flooding is being called into question. Just like how Winter forces you to adapt to being unable to use farms (there is no counter play to stop this either. You're forced to do without them and get food from other sources), Monsoon seasons flooded areas should be unable to be dealt with either.

wow never thought of it that way.  I recant everything bad I ever said about flooding.  Thanks dude

Um... I have to disagree with this one.

I started playing when they first introduced walrus hunting party.

The way I remember it:

1) combat is the same as it is now. So whether it is a treeguard or a werepig, it is still the same hit and run motion.

2) 6 rabbits a day keep you feed, turn some into small jerky for health and sanity

3) Build the ice staff to stay safe from that OP Mactusk.

That's it. It is nowhere any harder than it is in SW.

Back then rabbit hole always spawn a rabbit everyday. To stay alive in the long winter all I've to do is  make a firepit in the middle of 6 rabbit holes, plant some trees for fuel, get some grass and make rabbit traps. I don't think trapping rabbit is that challenging.

My only issue back then were with the Mactusk. He run away forever like rabbit and his dart hits much harder than it is now. The best way to deal with himwas to use the ice staff on him first, deal with the hounds and finish him last. Once I got this figure out the game aren't that much of a challenge. Mactusk drops a ton of meat so I farm him alot.

Edit: I forget to mention, back then grass/twig regrow during winter. I don't even have to set up a grass'twig farm.

You clearly weren't around for the start of the game then.

What you're describing are tactics used by players who already have a good grasp on how the game works.

The first two months of DS being released had this forum be covered with guides on how to survive x amount of days.

You don't see that happening with shipwrecked. People just jumped in and survived for a year or two with no issues.

Now you can argue that people do that because they now understand the basics of survival, but that is also a flawed way of thinking about it. Shipwrecked should be being created with that knowledge in mind, and it seems that the devs are indeed trying to stir things up by making bases be less of a safe haven.

Archived