Beefalo Riding. It's awful.

Alright, so I just tried beefalo riding.

It's a major let down.

You give beefalo grass to tame them. Then you put the saddle on.

They let you ride them for about 5 seconds, then they boot you off. It doesn't matter which saddle, the battle one seems to only make it look cooler. However, due to beefalo constantly booting you off of them, it's very frustrating to repeatedly hop back on them. They also only go at about 25% faster than you, so a walking cane or a simple path would be better. (I don't know any paths that kick you off.) If you leave the saddle on them while not riding them, they simply shake it off and whack a huge amount of durability off of it. 

Also, the new weapon seems to be a waste of tentacle spots, unless for some reason you've got hundreds of tentacle spots and want to make a whipperdoo to whipperdoo things. It's a weapon with a slightly longer range, and it makes a whip sound. Hooray for cosmetics.

Not sure if I'm using either of these things incorrectly, but if I am, Klei, please tell me how to not dun do what i aint dun doodly doin right.

Alright, so I just tried beefalo riding.

It's a major let down.

You give beefalo grass to tame them. Then you put the saddle on.

They let you ride them for about 5 seconds, then they boot you off. It doesn't matter which saddle, the battle one seems to only make it look cooler. However, due to beefalo constantly booting you off of them, it's very frustrating to repeatedly hop back on them. They also only go at about 25% faster than you, so a walking cane or a simple path would be better. (I don't know any paths that kick you off.) If you leave the saddle on them while not riding them, they simply shake it off and whack a huge amount of durability off of it. 

Also, the new weapon seems to be a waste of tentacle spots, unless for some reason you've got hundreds of tentacle spots and want to make a whipperdoo to whipperdoo things. It's a weapon with a slightly longer range, and it makes a whip sound. Hooray for cosmetics.

Not sure if I'm using either of these things incorrectly, but if I am, Klei, please tell me how to not dun do what i aint dun doodly doin right.

Beefalo need to eat a larger amount of grass or other vegetables to be tamed for longer periods of time. There must be effects of more extensive taming, as shown by three extra faces a tamed Beefalo can make as shown here. In terms of perks, riding a beefalo is a boost to your health, speed, and attack power (until it gets killed). Finally, the whip gives a command of "Discipline" over Beefalo, so this must be an option for taming or keeping control of tamed Beefalo.

I sadly have to agree with the smallbird addict weirdobob, we should be able to ride beefalo at least the length of a single biome (or like 2-3 minutes at full obediance?)

the whip gives a command of "Discipline" over Beefalo
no, the whip just pacifies beefalo because you cant ride it after whipping it (to my knowledge)

• Developer

"Dear Klei i tried your new feature for 5 seconds and it suck" sincerely ... Goodfeedback :grin:

Not much features are easy or last long .)

You can make it last longer but anyway i like it a lot!

That is far from what he said and you know it. I found his feedback valid and agree with him, right now Beefalo riding is quite disappointing IMO.

I'd rather just use a walking cane.

Beefalo domestication is supposed to make riding the beefalo more efficient, however the feature afaik is not currently live.  The script shows most of the code for domestication but the effect never triggers.  More than likely it's still in the works.

But domesticated beefalo are much more obedient.

In the meantime, consider using beefalo riding as a means to move beefalo and use them for combat.  They are actually pretty damn good at killing things given their attack speed.  And "most" attacks go towards the beefalo instead of you, so they act as an extra layer of health as well.

Even though the saddles are expensive to make, they still allow you to transport beefalo over long distances much quicker than by using the horns.

Beefalo domestication is supposed to make riding the beefalo more efficient, however the feature afaik is not currently live.  The script shows most of the code for domestication but the effect never triggers.  More than likely it's still in the works.

But domesticated beefalo are much more obedient.

In the meantime, consider using beefalo riding as a means to move beefalo and use them for combat.  They are actually pretty damn good at killing things given their attack speed.  And "most" attacks go towards the beefalo instead of you, so they act as an extra layer of health as well.

Even though the saddles are expensive to make, they still allow you to transport beefalo over long distances much quicker than by using the horns.

Now, I know this is seclusive to a small group of players, but I always set up my base by beefalo for this reason. I mean, sure it's helpful if there's no beefalo where you settled, but then again, this riding only moves 1 beefalo at a time (Or 1 beefalo per player) while a beefalo horn can attract multiple, and while it may not move them lightning fast it still moves them all. Now that I know the domestication method isn't online, I suppose that makes more sense, but as it stands at the moment, beefalo riding is mostly..... well, it's there if you've killed dragonfly 80 times and need something else to do.

but as it stands at the moment, beefalo riding is mostly.....

I could easily make a mod that turns domestication on, though likely Klei is still tweaking it to work right so we might get it soon anyway.

If you want to try it out, feed a beefalo some grass and then type this in the console

c_find("beefalo").components.domesticatable:BecomeDomesticated()

I played with them a bit...

• Beefalo horn does nothing to being ride-able (looks great blowing it on top of a beefalo with a war saddle tho)
  • crop items can be used in place of grass/twigs... but gives the same amount of loyalty as grass (there went my dragon fruit)
  • riding them for about 4-5 sec, dismount, then ride again effectively makes the most of 1 grass XD
  • if your beefalo (that you're riding) gets hurt, other beefalo don't help out <__<

• Developer
if your beefalo (that you're riding) gets hurt, other beefalo don't help out <__<

"Our fellow comrade is under attack! We must--"

"He is a traitor, and a scoundrel."
"But Beefalo #735, we must do something!"
"No, soldier. Now go back to your designated grass turf." 

Archived