"Should Shipwrecked integrate with Reign of Giants beyond world hopping"?

"Should Shipwrecked integrate with Reign of Giants beyond world hopping"?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. "Should Shipwrecked integrate with Reign of Giants beyond world hopping"?

• YES: we want SW mechanics integrated into RoG/DS. Certain mechanics will be transferred over to RoG/DS and vise versa.
    • NO: we want SW to remain unique in its own way. Certain mechanics will not be transferred over to RoG/DS and vise versa.

Well I see no reason for that, some itens, animals and environmental stuff could yes be added maybe an beach biome, but that's all, I like the way SW is right now, Integration beyond world hopping is for me, not necessary.

I have the same feeling. Yet I would like the RoG world to have everything SW has. Then again I like RoG as it is.

Just imagine a Don't Starve game with RoG + SW content in one world.

I'm not sure. I feel like RoG and SW, if they are going to be hoppable (which I could care less for), should only be used for bringing essential things back and forth, such as twigs, grass, rocks, flint, weapons, armor, tools, and whatever else. I'd like the games to feel separate and different as they were originally intended to.

I don't think it's necessary to keep them totally isolated from each other, and in fact I was hoping that once some sort of portal to Shipwrecked comes into existence in the main game you'd be able to bring over the vanilla/RoG followers (like Chester and Glommer) and a sharply limited amount of items Teleportato-style so you can cart your Walking Cane and Tam O'Shanter over to Shipwrecked, but any environmental stuff specific to either the tropical Shipwrecked biome or the temperate Reign of Giants biome would be nonsensical to merge together.

In particular the seasons. Those need to stay separate, because having either an eight-season cycle or combination seasons where the closest RoG and SW seasons get all mashed up together wouldn't make sense in either location.

The giants are mostly based on temperate-biome animals except the Dragonfly, so it would be kind of weird if the other three showed up in Shipwrecked, especially the Deerclops in a place that never gets cold enough to put you in danger of freezing. (Except maybe if you got soaking wet in hurricane season and sat next to an Endothermic Fire, but at that point it hardly counts as accidental.) I don't think it would be unworkably absurd like trying to integrate the seasons or putting deciduous forests on a tropical island, but if that were to happen I'd like some kind of explanation as to what the Bearger, Goose/Moose, and Deerclops are doing out of their native habitat. Even if it's just that Maxwell shipped them over to give you a hard time.

Being able to go to a temperate archipelago world with RoG biomes/seasons and the sailing mechanics from Shipwrecked would be fun, though. If a merged version did exist I'd like it to be like that.

It would also be kind of cool if the wind mechanics were added to the main game, because strong winds are hardly climate-specific. Just maybe not as intense and constant as hurricane season. (Not entirely unlike how there's a hot season with overheating in Shipwrecked, but it's not as hot as RoG summer and doesn't have wildfires.)

I'm not gonna vote in the poll because whether I would want a combination of RoG and Shipwrecked depends entirely on what aspects, specifically, were combined, and whether there was a good explanation for any especially implausible or counterintuitive combinations.

Even though I voted that SW aspects get put into RoG/DS, I mainly just want boats. You don't even have to change how the water works in RoG/DS and have just everything sink. It's just annoying sometimes that there's a land mass right next to you in Don't Starve and you can't get to it because of the water and you have to find some worm hole to get over there.

There are no meaningful advantages to integrating SW into RoG. 

When you consider that and the technical issues with integrating SW into RoG this is just silly arguing. The SW dlc as it is now, is pretty much the best solution and compromise for all players. 

I do not even understand why this is an issue.

I think they should leave it up to us in the world customization menu.

If I want one huge world with Shipwrecked water and every biome then let me have it.

If I want to have two separate worlds and travel between them to keep each version of the game separate, so be it.

Based on the poll results, there will be a group of people disappointed if they choose to go one way or the other. So how about they go the extra mile and let us create the world the way we want it? Just my two cents.

I definitely would be disappointed if it's just World Hopping. I'm not saying pass EVERYTHING, because not all of it would fit well, but somethings. Like boats, whale hunting, maybe some of the less tropical mobs, this all would fit well in the game.

Maybe gen a world surrounding all the islands, instead of the "fogs"? Then the end of the world could be something else; more fogs.

I think they should leave it up to us in the world customization menu.

If I want one huge world with Shipwrecked water and every biome then let me have it.

If I want to have two separate worlds and travel between them to keep each version of the game separate, so be it.

Based on the poll results, there will be a group of people disappointed if they choose to go one way or the other. So how about they go the extra mile and let us create the world the way we want it? Just my two cents.

I agree. They could let us check both the RoG and SW boxes when we start a new save file if that's what we felt like doing. I actually quite like SW as it is now but at some point it would be interesting to see how the two worlds work together. 

Personally, I just want some variation in the bird species in RoG (so 1 or 2 birds for each season) and the whale hunting (with boats, obviously).

Also, I don't see why RoG can't have jungle biomes, volcanoes and the like. They could be implemented as islands that must be accessed via a boat away from the mainland.

- if SW will focus on new players (for some unknown reason) they need to integrate it in ROG world because this way it is just little bit boring and without some challenge (YET)

- i know that SW was standalone at first (so for new players - no problem with this) but they change it to DLC so they need to realise that you need DS to play SW so you are not a new player anymore! They need to make SW harder than standalone version right? 

- they can just add SW islands to main ROG map like they did with caves+ruins in DST so if you go to the edge of main land there will be beach and you can build boat there + weather will change to SW one like when you go from caves to ruins in DST and nightmare cycle will switch. New water could be anywhere but only in one place accessible with beach on main ROG land. Other edges will stay as they are now.

Archived