The Underground

I have read lots of post about people wanting an underground or a cave system of one kind or another...

I have a question.

Why does a cave have to be underground. Why can't a "cave entrance" just be a shorter version of a 'bridge' between biomes?

as far as I can see ...... This would eliminate any coding issues involved with making a "2.5D" world into a "3D" world & would essentially just create another type of biome that would be 'darker' during the day than an outdoor biome which -as we already know - is light during the day.

as a side note - having 'darker' biomes could add a bit of a challenge if the day night cycle in these places was slightly different than in the day-light world - thus having to survive through longer periods of darkness & possible creature attacks from things that go bump in the dark...

I've been wondering that myself. I mean, there's 2d games with interiors, why would it be impossible in a 2.5d one? Caves have ceilings? The outside has a sky, we don't see it. Caves have walls? Well, who says it has to be a tiny little cave? It could be some massive underground open space. The walls could be just the limits of the map. I'm not sure how the layout should be exactly, but it certainly doesn't seem impossible.

Edit: I just realized I even know a 2.5d game with a bunch of buildings and interiors: Ragnarok Online. Just leaving the name here in case they wanna check how they do it :p

Edited by Ran

Caves have walls? Well, who says it has to be a tiny little cave? It could be some massive underground open space. The walls could be just the limits of the map. I'm not sure how the layout should be exactly, but it certainly doesn't seem impossible.

That is exactly my point. A cave space doesn't have to be a small crevice that you go into. It could in fact be a whole biome & would only need to be defined by the 'entrance' onto the biome.

Thanks for the response :D

Even the map boundaries wouldn't have to be walls. They could just replace the rough sea with lava or a dark drop or simply uncrossable rocks, and just let the player imagine that there are walls out of sight.

:o Lava, I didn't think of that. It certainly could be an easy way out, lol :p

So we're looking more at something like a cavern?

I honestly don't know what's the difference between cave and cavern, lol.

To create a ambience of beeing underground it does not nessesarily require walls from bottom to the ceiling or a ceiling at all. It can also be a area that has many cracks and cliffs around the area and at the outer lines. That way it creates an ambience of a really massive cave and the ceiling and the walls are not manageable in the sight area of the character. Especially if this area is shrouded in total darkness and only savely accessible with a torch or other portable light source, cave sounds like echo single water drops and randomly creppy noises, this creates a even better cave atmosphere than a typical cave screen with a wall to the left, a wall to the right and a ceiling.

I've been thinking about caves and ect, i think under ground lakes would fix this issue, making "islands" of walkable space underground with black voids in every direction and either a miners hat or torch would be needed to explore the areas, but you would find items that are used for crafting like stones that produce gold more often ect

Especially if this area is shrouded in total darkness and only savely accessible with a torch or other portable light source, cave sounds like echo single water drops and randomly creppy noises, this creates a even better cave atmosphere than a typical cave screen with a wall to the left, a wall to the right and a ceiling.

I love the idea of this area only being accessible with a torch or other portable light source. It would definitely provide a great use for the miners hat in this case.

The creepy sound effects are a great idea!

I've been thinking about caves and ect, i think under ground lakes would fix this issue, making "islands" of walkable space underground with black voids in every direction and either a miners hat or torch would be needed to explore the areas, but you would find items that are used for crafting like stones that produce gold more often ect

I was hoping for a place to mine other kinds of stones. Like red stone or other stones that would be used for crafting items. Like a white stone (aka diamond) for a really good spear tip...

Edited by Toaster Fu

Well as this thread involves caverns I figured I would drop by and add the collected suggestions I carry around with me from past threads on this topic. Hopefully those of you interested in this topic will find some or all of these ideas interesting.

The original idea behind caverns actually involved using a transition as a solution. The idea was that players could discover a randomly spawned crevasse in the ground that could initially only be examined. However, but using Rope or a Grappling Rope (Ropes + Gold Ore) the player could select the crevasse and lower themselves down. This would trigger a transition that would load a completely new map for the underground caverns area.

The caverns biome would initially place the player in a cavern chamber illuminated from above by the sun and let the player explore randomly generated tunnels to other cavern chambers by using their own light sources (i.e. torch, Miner's Helmet). One purpose for the caverns would be as a new source of boulders (which are currently finite), however in addition to stone, flint, and gold ore players would have a chnace to uncover other rare resources unavailable on the surface.

Exploring the caverns would yield many discoveries, such as: new ores (i.e. iron), gemstones (i.e. diamond), mushrooms (/w various properties that would randomize every time a new game was created to maintain some element of surprise), blind albino cave fish (in shallow pools), crystals (i.e. quartz), coal, and new creatures. In addition to new resources players would also be able to explore until they discovered other crevasses that could be scaled and allow them to surface on another island... perhaps an island that could not be reached by any other means.

Suggestions connected to the new resources included crafting reflective mirrors from quartz that would direct sunlight, via a beam, from a crevasse chamber in any of 4 directions controlled by how the player rotates the its base when placed. The light beam would create a "path of light" until it hit an obstruction, like a wall, and then the player would need to craft/place another mirror and direct it as they saw fit. This would allow players to save on light sources and reduce risk while exploring underground. However, as the whole system is "solar powered" once the sun sets the entire path disappears.

Another suggestion involved combining iron ore and coal to create steel ingots or, skipping the ingots process, steel items (i.e. iron ore + coal + sticks = Iron Shovel). Of course while several suggestions were made as to what could be crafted from steel, most were generic (i.e. swords, armor, ect) and I prefer more unique ideas... like a old-time diving suit, for example, to explore underwater biomes. :)

Lastly, for diamonds, it was suggested that perhaps a new crafting item could be a hand-cranked diamond-tipped drill as a more durable or faster way to mine boulders. While not exactly original in purpose, at least it wasn't a diamond pick axe. ;)

Thoughts?

too much like minecraft(hits mobius with a big stick.

Keep in mind these are a collection of suggestions from several threads. I'm just combining them here for review and I certainly wouldn't expect every idea mentioned to be used.

As for some suggestions being too "Minecraft", well, that's certainly open to debate. For example, has anyone complained about the obvious fact that Don't Starve uses an axe, shovel, or pickaxe... just like Minecraft? Nope. Some ideas are so good that they're worth repeating and it's up to everyone to decide where we draw the line.

I think it would be neat to some how get shrunk down and fall into the rabbit hole to go exploring the bunny kingdom. The tunnels would be randomly generated and it would be like a mini treasure hunting game while avoiding rabbits looking for revenge. You'd basically take a shovel and go about digging up dirt mounds in the tunnels for items, maybe if you meet the bunny king he'd give you a gift in exchange for tall bird eggs.

Edited by The_Dizzie

A good way to circumnavigate the issue of having stereotypical cave in a mountain is to have crevasses that can be rarely found by exposing the stone at that location (Turf Update).

This helps add an element of randomness to the way entrances to this "cavern" can be found

Well as this thread involves caverns I figured I would drop by and add the collected suggestions I carry around with me from past threads on this topic. Hopefully those of you interested in this topic will find some or all of these ideas interesting.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your response Mobius187. Sometimes I am slow to respond because school keeps me pretty busy. I have read most of what you wrote about - in the other forums on this subject!

I was looking for ideas that avoided loading into a new map - instead - the current map would just expand - opening up new biomes. I was also interested in peoples brain storms on how to avoid an area with visible walls & ceilings & curious as to whether people feel that those items are necessary.

I do like the idea of a crevice in the ground that people would go down into - However, it was pointed out that this might cause coding issues... so this thread was hoping to find away around that issue.

I love the idea of new creatures (cave bats would be awesome) & also the idea of a few new items. However, upon further refection. I wouldn't want to see to many more items. I like the balance of the current item depletion & having to many "super" items would take away from having to work to survive!

okay enough said for now - look forward to further responses!