The biggest problem with Shipwrecked so far

Personally it's the oceans. They are just way, way, way too immense and empty. The dry land worlds in DS vanilla are pretty sizeable too but not nearly as ginormous plus they're full of things to fight, examine, craft, collect etc.

In Shipwrecked you just sail and sail for minutes on end through empty deep oceans with nothing to see or do. The islands are far too spaced out, there isn't enough fast travel and honestly, the wave mechanics becomes pretty annoying after a while. Hitting a wave under a wrong angle is way too punishing considering how easy it is, especially while fighting the whales or running from stink rays. The damage to your boat and an increase of wetness by a single wave is too big IMO.

The vastness of the oceans would be tolerable (barely) without any waves, if you could set a course to a faraway island without the need to do the wave slalom every time. But right now it's as if the dry land in DS vanilla was mostly swamp where tentacles are absolutely everywhere and they have much better reaction times so they can hit you way easier. Crossing such worlds would be royal pain in the bottom.

Then again I haven't gotten to the volcanic season yet and people are saying that is the biggest annoyance so maybe I'll change my mind :D

Let's wait for the World settings to be implemented, it will probably feature some cool ways of customizing the world!
And about the waves: I think they're fine, need some time getting used to them but they are definitely fine after you learn all about them, boat damage and wetness 'damage' is also fine to me.

I dare you, survive the volcano season!

:wilson_hurt:  

personally i love oceans. I just found Islands kinda empty... Problem with islands are i guess they almost look like each other. There is not many different biome. Oceans have a lot of mobs. I am not sure how far u played but you got pretty much lotta different fish.

Rain season is too easy to manage and summer is kind of fun too as it allows you to explore more while escaping from lava.

I have the same feeling with the emptyness of the ocean.

Of course, with World Setting, you should be able, i hope, to have more land and less sea, but it's like if you choose to play ROG without spring and summer...

Some ideas :

- You could found debris in your travel, they will sink after a time so you should harvest them. Twigs, rope, logs, sometime a boat part, trinkets. Chances are high during bad weather.

- You could have normal map. The treasure map are great for two reason : it give you a treasure, and it give you an indication "there is island here". Of course, there is the spyglass and all but they will more often show empty ocean rather than anything else.

A normal map will tell you "there is land here", making easy to know where to search something.

- Maybe more clear color water indication. It's useful to know that you are closer to something but often it's so imprecise that you could easily miss the island and the time you understand it, you have more boring travel to do.

The damage to your boat and an increase of wetness by a single wave is too big IMO.

I totally agree with you. At least the armoured boat shouldn't take wave damage and only leave you with wetness once you hit the waves.

Some ideas :

- You could found debris in your travel, they will sink after a time so you should harvest them. Twigs, rope, logs, sometime a boat part, trinkets. Chances are high during bad weather..

Yeah more stuff in the oceans would be nice. Much more.

I'd also like to see a moderately easy-ish way to build teleporters on islands so I don't have to make an annoying 5 minute travel to a faraway island with a strategic resource everytime I need to.

Personally I like the "emptyness" of the seas and size of the world. But let's not forget, we're not playing the full game here. Boss encounters, World Settings, plus a few more things, are yet to be added. They could well fill up the empty space some people are worried about.

As for the waves, I think they're pretty ok as they are. I would like to see a reduction in the frequency of them in Summer (volcano season) and in Autumn (starting season), but I'd be fine if they weren't changed.

I do agree the Armored Boat should take substantially less damage when hitting/being hit by waves.

For me, the biggest problem so fat would be the not starving part. It is WAY to easy to not die of hunger. I know that it wasn't the hard in vanila and reign of giants, but you don't need to put any effort into it here. You could survive on just limpits and seaweed by making them into meatballs. You don't even need to make them into meatballs, just eat them cooked! I think they need to make it a bit harder to get food by decreasing the amount of general food.

IMO, the biggest probelm with shipwrecked right now that a lot of the stuff here are just reskins with tiny changes. Like crabs or sweet potatoes. 

And ocean is supposed to be ather empty, it's the biomes that has problems with being boring. Pretty much all of them are reskins of old biomes. It would have been fine if we still had old biomes there and there, but without them, SW world feels emptier than ROG one.

IMO, the biggest probelm with shipwrecked right now that a lot of the stuff here are just reskins with tiny changes. Like crabs or sweet potatoes. 

And ocean is supposed to be ather empty, it's the biomes that has problems with being boring. Pretty much all of them are reskins of old biomes. It would have been fine if we still had old biomes there and there, but without them, SW world feels emptier than ROG one.

It's a DLC for 5 bucks, I've never expected a full new game. In fact I'm quite astonished by how many new things they managed to cram in SW.

And yeah, oceans are very empty and boring in real life. But SW is a game, not a simulation.

It's a DLC for 5 bucks, I've never expected a full new game. 

That is the problem. SW world is technically full new game, since there's pretty much nothing from the old stuff, just basics. But:

They traded freeze mechaics for wind.

Jungle is old forest, beach is old glade.

Jumping fish for tentacles.

If we had jumping fish AND tentacles at the same time, I wouldn't have complained at all, same with freeze and wind, or jungle and forest

Crabs for rabbits, carrot fore swet potato.

Yarctopus for Pig King...

Basically, the only things we get is posion mechanics and sea stuff.

Compared to vanila, it's an expansion, but compared to ROG...

Basically, I want to be able to have everything in one world. Forest and jungle, Giants and sea monsters, beach and catcoons, Winter and wind,  marble and limestone, Mac Tusk and snakes...

Than we won't have a problem with ocean being empty. Also with having same biomes all over the map. If we had in Shipwrecked old biomes, with SW biomes, it would be 5+5 and +2 from ROG - 12 biomes! It's enough to full the whole map and never have repetitive biomes at all!

Honestly, I think it's completely unfair to take this as biggest problem with SW, considering that it's first version that went public and we still haven't seen any significant update, actually it's pretty much like original Don't Starve when it came out. It felt, empty, repetitive, it wasn't until 3-4 updates when it really became something.

Actually SW is more featured EA product than DS was initially. SW has way more pressing problems,then "empty" ocean , also I think that waves are fine as they are and I am pretty sure that devs have plans to populate it and make islands more diverse.

Honestly, I think it's completely unfair to take this as biggest problem with SW, considering that it's first version that went public and we still haven't seen any significant update, actually it's pretty much like original Don't Starve when it came out. It felt, empty, repetitive, it wasn't until 3-4 updates when it really became something.

Actually SW is more featured EA product than DS was initially. SW has way more pressing problems,then "empty" ocean , also I think that waves are fine as they are and I am pretty sure that devs have plans to populate it and make islands more diverse.

You can say that again.   I've been playing Don't Starve since this game went up on Steam.   Even in the early days it was a great game. 

This one...   It plays like they decided they wanted to 'challenge' the people.   But instead of making new challenges, they went for over-the-top mechanics that are, in their present state, wildly unfair.

I don't mind dying to 'fair.'   What I do mind are unfair mechanics.   The over-the-top meteor showers of death.   Islands (islands!) 'flooding.'   The over-the-top poison mechanic.   The palmguards that can't be placated. 

Honestly, at this point the game is just an exercise in masochism.   Everytime I make progress, the game wipes me out (meteor showers, etc.) and there are no defenses against it.   

They just should add islands with old biomes (and prefferably also ROG ones, for ROG owners) into Shipwrecked, add back freeze mechanics and it will be diversed enough already!

And how do you think the weather mechanics will be managed? Change according to biomes? Then the weather types will interfere with each other.

The player will get to choose which weather type is easier to survive and since hail is present only during one season but ice-bergs during multiple, there's no reason to keep the ice machine, but everyone doesn't like it amiright?

Got frog rain in forest? No problem, go to any SW and get poisonous mosquitos, it doesn't matter that you are just paasing by, it's FUN.

Giant following you? No problem! Just hop on a raft and wave him goodbye, it's not like they were supposed to be a nuissance to you.

But most importantly is it will put more load on the CPU than before. Whenever season changes, I like many playing on less powerful PC's, experience small lag spikes because weather type changes, I don't need that happening every couple of minutes.

What do we get instead? The ability to travel from RoG worlds/vanilla to SW worlds, which they said they will do because of the feedback. You will get to experience both dlc items in both worlds(except for boats in RoG I would assume but who knows, they'd make for great bridges tho).

What amazing thing will we get if they worlds would be mashed together?

Almost forgot - double chester.

They just should add islands with old biomes (and prefferably also ROG ones, for ROG owners) into Shipwrecked, add back  freeze mechanics and it will be diversed enough already!

As far as I know, they are integrating shipwrecked into base game + ROG, so it'll be similar to how caves work. You can have your regular ROG world and its features, biomes and mechanics, and then jump into the shipwrecked world for a while. It's possible you'll be able to collect items and bring them back and forth between worlds too, so you should have a lot of options for both (eg. plant regular trees in the shipwrecked jungles, etc). 

By diversity I meant to add content which is unique to SW theme. I don't want to see DS/RoG, biomes/ creatures  in SW , first because they will make a "bridge" between this DLC and base game/base game with RoG, so you can travel back and forth and another reason is that second they start mixing elements from both titles to create "new content", I will lose interest in SW, because that would be nothing more than recycling assets and given it label "new".

Also as someone explained there are going to be performance problems and it won't only put stress to CPU but also memory spikes are bound to happen.

And how do you think the weather mechanics will be managed? Change according to biomes? Then the weather types will interfere with each other.

The player will get to choose which weather type is easier to survive and since hail is present only during one season but ice-bergs during multiple, there's no reason to keep the ice machine, but everyone doesn't like it amiright?

Got frog rain in forest? No problem, go to any SW and get poisonous mosquitos, it doesn't matter that you are just paasing by, it's FUN.

Giant following you? No problem! Just hop on a raft and wave him goodbye, it's not like they were supposed to be a nuissance to you.

But most importantly is it will put more load on the CPU than before. Whenever season changes, I like many playing on less powerful PC's, experience small lag spikes because weather type changes, I don't need that happening every couple of minutes.

What do we get instead? The ability to travel from RoG worlds/vanilla to SW worlds, which they said they will do because of the feedback. You will get to experience both dlc items in both worlds(except for boats in RoG I would assume but who knows, they'd make for great bridges tho).

What amazing thing will we get if they worlds would be mashed together?

Almost forgot - double chester.

They won't change. Winter will be just like normal winter + wind and ice falling from SW. Forest can even be placed in south compared to jungle. I mean, we have rainy and snowy desert in ROG so why bother with jungle and beach, really?

I didn't get your point about raining frogs and mosqutos.

Giants are big enough to cross the ocean. Will be even more interesting.

Again, seasons won't change, so I don't think there will be more lags than usual.

Exactly, it would be like caves. Caves are great, but we won't need half of the stuff from the SW, since a lot of them are reskins from original game. This way we  have 2 worlds, one has stuff that another doesn't and vice versa: second caves. 

But in a single world we'll be able to experience everything! 

By diversity I meant to add content which is unique to SW theme. I don't want to see DS/RoG, biomes/ creatures  in SW , first because they will make a "bridge" between this DLC and base game/base game with RoG, so you can travel back and forth

Why we need it as second caves? I don't want SW too turn into second caves!

Also it would requre a lot of effort to make so much new stuff. Look how many things they had to reskin just to make normal world again! With old biomes in SW we will have at least feel of diversity.

I wouldn't call it simple "reskin" but whatever also, no one is turning anything into caves. Due to popular, unreasonable, utterly stupid demand (for same reason, there is abomination called DST) , devs decided to devote time into making SW accessible from RoG/base game and vice versa. You can play only SW if you want to or travel to RoG/base game via "cave " system if you want and vice versa , rather than to make it standalone addon ... but who am i to judge. 

You can play only SW if you want to or travel to RoG/base game via "cave " system if you want and vice versa , rather than to make it standalone addon ... but who am i to judge. 

This is a good thing. But still, I really want more.

It's probably a silly thing, but I actually mentally suffered in SW winter because they removed that freeze mechanic.

As I said earlier,

I want to not have repetitve biomes in both SW and ROG worlds, and have as much content as possible in one world, instead of having "some mechanics there, some mechanics there, this will be uselles in ROG, this will be useless in SW, boat canon is cool, but I can't try it on dragonfly, good time to hunt Mac Tusk, but he is in another world, and I can't get any warm stuff here, OH WELL, i'll just have to wait another 80 days" 

And so on.

Archived