The biggest problem with Shipwrecked so far

I wouldn't call it simple "reskin" but whatever also, no one is turning anything into caves. Due to popular, unreasonable, utterly stupid demand (for same reason, there is abomination called DST) , devs decided to devote time into making SW accessible from RoG/base game and vice versa. You can play only SW if you want to or travel to RoG/base game via "cave " system if you want and vice versa , rather than to make it standalone addon ... but who am i to judge. 

What's the problem with DST?

What's the "popular, unreasonable, utterly stupid" problem with wanting access to RoG/Vanilla world via a portal?

What's the "popular, unreasonable, utterly stupid" problem with wanting access to RoG/Vanilla world via a portal?

Shipwrecked is and has been designed to be a standalone version. Though you are able to survive from the start in both worlds.

Typically when will you travel to the SW world from your RoG world? Yes, once you are in the endgame of your world and have tons of powerful items. The same point when you start out venturing into the caves or the ruins.

Now there is the problem for the SW world because its difficulty is simply not designed to challenge a fully equipped endgame character. Maybe the current volcano season is kind of challenging enough for such a character but this is surely a subject to change.

That said there are serious worries on my side that the SW world won't fit with a RoG start because it will be laughable easy.

Shipwrecked is and has been designed to be a standalone version. Though you are able to survive from the start in both worlds.

Typically when will you travel to the SW world from your RoG world? Yes, once you are in the endgame of your world and have tons of powerful items. The same point when you start out venturing into the caves or the ruins.

Now there is the problem for the SW world because its difficulty is simply not designed to challenge a fully equipped endgame character. Maybe the current volcano season is kind of challenging enough for such a character but this is surely a subject to change.

That said there are serious worries on my side that the SW world won't fit with a RoG start because it will be laughable easy.

You decide how you want to play. You aren't forced to travel to the other world fully equipped. Problem solved. If it bothers you that others will do it, you are missing the point of sandbox games, and that you are the problem.

I hate the vulcano HATE IT. it never stops is been two days already. I want the world settigns because I want to take it out. Is not fair is just a pain in the ass. It ruins everything and when stops after a while comes again. It should be at leat a little bit more rare like the giants. BUT NO it happens all the time

You decide how you want to play. You aren't forced to travel to the other world fully equipped. Problem solved. If it bothers you that others will do it, you are missing the point of sandbox games, and that you are the problem.I

I don't care on which ways people are playing the game. I'm just pointing out a balance problem between those two worlds that potentially will lead to disappointment for some players.

Shipwrecked is a standalone DLC and should be played like that in order to experience the maximum out of the content. To come back to my prevous point: I'm not sure if a "cave-like" connection between both worlds is a good idea.

Lacost gave you answer you were looking for . Just to add something to whole thing about "You decide how you want to play and you are not forced" is  questionable to say the least and whole "sandbox" thing is laughable because you could get much more of sandbox feeling in who knows what and how many ways without worrying about whole base/RoG "comparability " .

Now devs have to take in consideration how will they make  idea of "travelling " engaging, because what's purpose of having that system otherwise.Which will lead to certain adaption and whatnot ...  people are so simple minded this days. 

As to what's wrong with DST, everything but i am not in mood in getting into it, so you will have to be satisfied with that answer.

As far as i know, devs said that you will be able to move stuff between SW wrld and main world with some effort. So it's possible that if you are going to statr in main world, and then open "portal" to SW world, you won't have stuff that you had or the opportinity to get back before you open "portal" in SW world.

But still, I don't want any portals.

Because it doesn't need proof ?? Dude, I don't want to get into it because that's my personal opinion, I don't plan to face with army of raging "wanna be first to write something"  ( I am looking at you) and to add to that I want to avoid flaming, not to mention it's neither time nor place to discuss something like that and atop of all of that I don't care enough to give an answer  -Also , it  likely was discussed to death probably.

I don't care on which ways people are playing the game. I'm just pointing out a balance problem between those two worlds that potentially will lead to disappointment for some players.

Shipwrecked is a standalone DLC and should be played like that in order to experience the maximum out of the content. To come back to my prevous point: I'm not sure if a "cave-like" connection between both worlds is a good idea.

Let's see what you could "take" with you from RoG/vanilla world to SW - all possible pre-build buildings, food, gold tools, krampus sack, good weapons and armor. Okay, it will help you make a settlement faster and kill easier, but you'll still need to farm some resources - coral (chiminiea), bamboo (sandbags, sail,nets) etc.

And what's wrong with that, what's the "dissapointment"? You have full control if you will do that or not, again - it's a sandbox game. Want a challenge? Upping the HP and damage of mobs is a nuisance, not challenge, and increasing recipe materials for ex. would be too. You will decide to make the worlds either RoG +SW or both of them separatem, it's simple as that.

Lacost gave you answer you were looking for . Just to add something to whole thing about "You decide how you want to play and you are not forced" is  questionable to say the least and whole "sandbox" thing is laughable because you could get much more of sandbox feeling in who knows what and how many ways without worrying about whole base/RoG "comparability " .

I didn't get the idea here, what "comparability"?

Now devs have to take in consideration how will they make  idea of "travelling " engaging, because what's purpose of having that system otherwise.Which will lead to certain adaption and whatnot ...  people are so simple minded this days.

What engaging traveling are you talking about? A simple portal with a cost.

Because it doesn't need proof ?? Dude, I don't want to get into because that's my personal opinion, I don't plan to face with army of raging "wanna be first to write something"  ( I am looking at you) and to add to that I want to avoid flaming, not to mention it's neither time nor place to discuss something like and atop of all of that I don't care - not to mention it was discussed to death probably.

You brought DST up, said your opinion, then refuse to give your explanation and get mad about it. Lmao

I meant to make "travelling" to another "dimension " worth it. You know like, If I am going to SW , why would I do it, will I do it multiple times or just once, is it rewarding enough and so on. Not means to way you travel, like you interpreted, what I wrote. Are you really that literal or what ?

Mad about what ? I am not mad that's your statement, also I didn't bring anything up, it's you who did, I just made fault of mentioning in "by the way manner" (along the way), it will not happen again. 

As for misspelled word (compatibility - not in technical way but in way two worlds will interact, difficulty, content wise ....) , you know exactly what I meant , so I am not going over it, that said I have zero intention of replying to your posts any further.

I hate the vulcano HATE IT. it never stops is been two days already. I want the world settigns because I want to take it out. Is not fair is just a pain in the ass. It ruins everything and when stops after a while comes again. It should be at leat a little bit more rare like the giants. BUT NO it happens all the time

Two days? Aaw, you poor chap. Try 15 or 20. It's still a very much unfinished and buggy mechanic that makes the game unplayable, so hopefully they fix it soon.

Let's see what you could "take" with you from RoG/vanilla world to SW - all possible pre-build buildings, food, gold tools, krampus sack, good weapons and armor. Okay, it will help you make a settlement faster and kill easier, but you'll still need to farm some resources - coral (chiminiea), bamboo (sandbags, sail,nets) etc.

That's exactly my point. You can stomp up an endgame base as soon as you like and are probably finished with all SW-specific preparations before hurrican season hits in.

Now what? Surviving isn't really a thing in RoG to SW, which is a huge reduction of content. Of course you can stay for one year but this would only be for prestige.

So why would someone want to stay in SW if surviving isn't a thing anymore. There is the balance problem. Most of the SW stuff is useless in RoG.

Snakeskin hat? Pffff, I have Eyebrella.

Boats? If I would be able to use them.

Bamboo, venom glands, tropical fish? Other than for a finer cuisine SW content is useless in RoG.

Of course a SW start would work fine though if you consider staying in SW and just importing superior RoG items like giant loot.

Of course a SW start would work fine though if you consider staying in SW and just importing superior RoG items like giant loot.

... But you won't be able to have caves\ruins... or giants... or cave king... or mactusk party... or tumbleweeds.... or normal winter... (which, so far, I consider being more interesting than SW winter)...

That's exactly my point. You can stomp up an endgame base as soon as you like and are probably finished with all SW-specific preparations before hurrican season hits in.

Now what? Surviving isn't really a thing in RoG to SW, which is a huge reduction of content. Of course you can stay for one year but this would only be for prestige.

So why would someone want to stay in SW if surviving isn't a thing anymore. There is the balance problem. Most of the SW stuff is useless in RoG.

Snakeskin hat? Pffff, I have Eyebrella.

Boats? If I would be able to use them.

Bamboo, venom glands, tropical fish? Other than for a finer cuisine SW content is useless in RoG.

There many other things one can do besides surviving, like building a good looking base, in multiple locations, making mob farms, your imagination is the limit.

Again you're missing the point... it's up to you how and what you're going to do with shipwrecked. Want to go in guns blazing? Go for it. Want go in fresh? Go for it. It's your choice. You say you don't care about other people's playstyle yet you make that the reason for the so called balance problem. What do you want, a filter so you can't take items with you? What's the point of being able to travel between worlds then.

So what if some items are useless in RoG and vice a versa? What of it?

I for one want the different turfs and weapons, and walking cane + shark hat + coffee will make you go super fast. And going fast in rog worlds is really handy if you dont have convenient wormhole locations.

My two cents to this topic: I haven't so far had much difficulty dodging waves, even on a little raft, and you just keep going until you generally hit another island... I'm going on the assumption that the map is littered with islands but haven't been proven wrong yet! It is a lot of travel to find valuable resources - the key thing being gold, because without a science machine, you can find all the gold doubloons you want, you still can't convert them! - But the few games I have played so far, I have managed to find at least one gold before the first hounds, same as in the land-based games. (I was amused to discover flooding by building my science machine on the point of an island, and it shorting out :)

I do find the poison mechanic problematic but I haven't played for very long yet. Mostly I have got around it by resurrecting at a touchstone! I do think this is too harsh though, with the limitless effect and the number of different ingredients required to craft anti-venom. Perhaps they could make the health-reducing effect last a shorter time, but then cap the health meter at a lower level until anti-venom is discovered, and perhaps also reduce speed and damage totals as though the character were weakened by ill health.

I found the wind mechanic very interesting and fun (in an "oh no what NOW!" way) but I am not looking forward to 'volcano season' (why is this seasonal? Volcanoes are not linked with weather!) especially if it carries on for very long and you can't find the volcano to pacify it. It's one thing wandering around aimlessly on the ocean knowing you will find land somewhere, quite another if you are looking for the one specific thing you need to stop a continual, deadly rain of meteors... I wonder if perhaps they could introduce a shrine type mechanic so you can sacrifice from afar. Maybe needs larger offerings than throwing them directly into the volcano. I don't know what has been earmarked as a decent offering but I would say you could use almost anything, with the easier items (grass, twigs) needing a large quantity and valuables (gold, gems etc.) very few.

I think since the whole point of this expansion is that you are shipwrecked, if/when Klei introduce the ability to port between RoG and SW, they shouldn't let you bring over a fully equipped character. Recipes, okay, because you can't really unlearn stuff (but there are new SW recipes to learn!) but to fit with the theme, you should first build a boat, then get wrecked, and lose ALL your items so you have to start from scratch. Perhaps you could find a boat on the RoG map, and if you use it, you are given a "travel" option like using Maxwell's Door or the Wooden Thing. Even more fun would be if you have to learn how to build a boat from answering Crackers' riddles. 

I can't really see any point (there'd be less of a challenge) in combining the two if you can carry resources between the maps - interlinked caves? Seriously? To a tropical paradise hundreds of miles away? But it also brings up the question: what if players want to travel back again? Is it a one-way trip, or can they sail (and get shipwrecked!) in either direction? I don't really see why not, if they can't bring resources with them.

I'm sad that there's no Chester :( He could paddle along behind your boat and it would be fun to see him shake his fur dry when he gets out of the water! I will really miss Chester in this expansion...

They just should add islands with old biomes (and prefferably also ROG ones, for ROG owners) into Shipwrecked, add back  freeze mechanics and it will be diversed enough already!

Honestly, I feel this would make the game so much easier. Trees that are way more plentiful and less dangerous, butterflies that can actually plant flowers, beefalo!, more/easily found spiders.

Honestly, I don't think adding the old biomes into the game changes to much besides making it easier. I mean most of them had 2-3 types of items that would spawn, few particularly interesting features, and most were almost 0 danger.

A lack of diversity is an issue, but is there really any doubt that they won't add more biomes and mobs? We still haven't seen that dodo-looking mob yet. (At least I haven't.)

I have to say the summer eruption mechanic is the most serious issue provided diversity is coming in the future. Because the mechanic is already integrated, it's fair to assume that it's a mostly finished part of the game. Now, there is coding that suggests that the eruptions could be stopped. In all likelihood, there will be a sacrifice required to calm the Volcano God. If this is the case, I think it should be somehow easier to find the volcano in order to make said sacrifice. Maybe a message in a bottle could have a relatively high chance (say twenty, twenty-five percent) of revealing the location of volcano on the map.

I would love to see a way to combine all the mechanics similar to Sims but i feel it would be pretty hard. Huge masses of land and Ocean, a ton of biomes with hundreds of enemies, and so much stacked against you. I could see if things progresses slowly but you cant really do much/anything at night, if you muck around you die in winter. if you get into a fight you cant avoid or escape you lose. This is dont starves biggest flaw for me. You have to be lucky, know what to do, learn as you go and piratically predict everything, or you lose. It is fun at times but with so much against you and so much to deal with early one its just can you get past this point. from there its farming simulator. Sanity decreases way too fast like hunger at times, you have to choose between items or armor half the time, and its so much to deal with. its like a luck game with very little skill involved. That is what makes it hard for me and a turn off. If i feel like sitting around 1/2 the time trying not to go insane, or want to feel like i cant do more than hope to find berries and other random edibles before i starve i will play this. But this game has no real challenge of skill but luck. All you can do is prepare and hope. That is what bugs me about the game, yet i still enjoy it with my few good hours on it.

I don't know why so many people want winter. :/ I dunno, I just can't see winter being all to... Realistic..? In this game. I'm playing SW for a reason and one of those reasons is the desert tropical Island feel.

I don't equate winter to that. I'm happy with the wet/dry/normal seasons.

Though I also wouldn't mind "swooping" season where the birds come down and peck you a la Australia.

Honestly, I feel this would make the game so much easier. Trees that are way more plentiful and less dangerous, butterflies that can actually plant flowers, beefalo!, more/easily found spiders.

Honestly, I don't think adding the old biomes into the game changes to much besides making it easier. I mean most of them had 2-3 types of items that would spawn, few particularly interesting features, and most were almost 0 danger.

It's not like snakes are hard, ha-ha. 

Intergrating RoG into shipwrecked will cause much tougher winter and Giants (Who should be able to cross the ocean)

And most importantly, it will make a feel of diversity, every single island will be completelly unique, with own tress (7 kinds of generic trees! How cool is that?), for example.

I don't know why so many people want winter. :/ I dunno, I just can't see winter being all to... Realistic..? In this game. I'm playing SW for a reason and one of those reasons is the desert tropical Island feel.

I don't equate winter to that. I'm happy with the wet/dry/normal seasons.

Now we have to care about wetness half of he year :\ And also Summer is harder than Winter agaih.

Archived