The biggest problem with Shipwrecked so far

There definitely needs to be more biomes. Someone suggested iceberg islands that would be really cool. Also maybe basalt biome (Google basalt columns) or something.

I'm definitely not a fan of the idea of sticking old biomes in shipwrecked though. For one, the climate doesn't make sense. Also why would you want recycled content when there is an opportunity for brand new exciting biomes to discover?

A suggestion I would like to give is maybe during the middle of hurricane season the temperature drops at the verge of zero degrees (no snow). Since wetness lowers the thermal sensation of the player Just being half wet will make you freeze. I think this mimics the dangers of dying from hyperthermia during a storm out at sea  in real life. So as long as you keep dry you'll be okay. In my opinion this fits perfectly with the DLC's theme any way. Would make hurricane season a little more challenging. 

I'm definitely not a fan of the idea of sticking old biomes in shipwrecked though. For one, the climate doesn't make sense. Also why would you want recycled content when there is an opportunity for brand new exciting biomes to discover?

All new biomes are  mostly just reskins of existing ones anway and they are really repetitive.

Not to mention, who cares about climat anyway, we have rainy and snowy desert in RoG.

So thats why I want recycled content. It still will feel differently, since It would be placed on small islands. Right now it is a trade: new content instead of old content. And I want both new content and old content at the same time. 

It's like if they added another cave-like world  in RoG to place giants, leafy forest and desert there. Would you be happy with that?

A suggestion I would like to give is maybe during the middle of hurricane season the temperature drops at the verge of zero degrees (no snow). Since wetness lowers the thermal sensation of the player Just being half wet will make you freeze. I think this mimics the dangers of dying from hyperthermia during a storm out at sea  in real life. So as long as you keep dry you'll be okay. In my opinion this fits perfectly with the DLC's theme any way. Would make hurricane season a little more challenging. 

this is a great idea! wetness bigger than 10-15 should cause freezing!

All new biomes are  mostly just reskins of existing ones anway and they are really repetitive.

Well the biomes are the same but their layout is different.

There are jungles with a lot of berries, a lot of monkeys, no monkeys, a lot of skeletons etc.

There is a good chance that every newly discovered biome on a new island has a different layout than your previously discovered ones.

Of course this seems to be too repetitive and some better distinctions would be nice.

There is a good chance that every newly discovered biome on a new island has a different layout than your previously discovered ones.

Also a good chance that they are not really different. Let me put in another way: 

Let's say, we have 2 same jungle islands (I's easy, since, as I said, they are repetitive right now, just with tiny changes). 

Will you lose any content if we replace one jungle with forest? No, because you can still find everything on second  island! But Forest, despite being old content, still got different trees and atmosphere and turf and normal pigs... I don't see why you would be against it unless you are cmpletelly sick to death of old biomes.

Also a good chance that they are not really different. Let me put in another way:

Let's say, we have 2 same jungle islands (I's easy, since, as I said, they are repetitive right now, just with tiny changes).

Will you lose any content if we replace one jungle with forest? No, because you can still find everything on second island! But Forest, despite being old content, still got different trees and atmosphere and turf and normal pigs... I don't see why you would be against it unless you are cmpletelly sick to death of old biomes.

Because shipwrecked is supposed to look different.

Will you lose any content if we replace one jungle with forest? No, because you can still find everything on second island! But Forest, despite being old content, still got different trees and atmosphere and turf and normal pigs... I don't see why you would be against it unless you are cmpletelly sick to death of old biomes.

I see your point, but I don't really like that idea unless the old biomes they moved in were heavily reskinned and tweaked.

I mean it would kind of defeat the purpose of being able to travel to and from shipwrecked if all the old content was already there.

Personally it's the oceans. They are just way, way, way too immense and empty. The dry land worlds in DS vanilla are pretty sizeable too but not nearly as ginormous plus they're full of things to fight, examine, craft, collect etc.

In Shipwrecked you just sail and sail for minutes on end through empty deep oceans with nothing to see or do. The islands are far too spaced out, there isn't enough fast travel and honestly, the wave mechanics becomes pretty annoying after a while. Hitting a wave under a wrong angle is way too punishing considering how easy it is, especially while fighting the whales or running from stink rays. The damage to your boat and an increase of wetness by a single wave is too big IMO.

The vastness of the oceans would be tolerable (barely) without any waves, if you could set a course to a faraway island without the need to do the wave slalom every time. But right now it's as if the dry land in DS vanilla was mostly swamp where tentacles are absolutely everywhere and they have much better reaction times so they can hit you way easier. Crossing such worlds would be royal pain in the bottom.

Then again I haven't gotten to the volcanic season yet and people are saying that is the biggest annoyance so maybe I'll change my mind :grin:

I have zero problems with hitting waves wrong, they are cake. And once you map a lot of it out, there are a lot more islands than you realize and you are just managing to weave in between them... I thought it was wayyyy open too at first, but there is a ton of islands.... I have prob 18 different islands and I prob have 35% of the surface map exposed and tons of wide open areas that are untouched. May be 45+ islands, idk.

the biggest problem with shipwrecked is that devs didnt roll out any updates since release (1 week, except 1-2 express updates on the release day). there are so much bugs, but it still not fixed

i hope it will tomorrow or smth

It is early access, the game was never going to roll out perfect, but if you had the option of early access or waiting a month or two to play it, youd take this route every day of the week. This game is incredibly awesome and based on how many improvements were made to the regular dont starve, this game will be off the charts great in my opinion after while. Klei actually listens to what is being said in the forum. I barely have any experience with Klei, this is the only game I have ever played of theirs, I am not a PC gamer, but I play a lot of console stuff and what Klei does with the interacting with people is unbelievable and admirable in todays world. This was going to be a standalone game but forum chatter made them include this with DS so before long we will have both games in one, going back and forth from each world. I have never seen any gaming company interact with people who play their games like Klei has, they will make this game 99.99% right before it is all said and done.

The only bug I have encountered personally is that the crock pot doesnt work with a controller, and I could care less, theres plenty of ways to increase sanity. I am lucky thus far I am middle of summer and no non stop volcano splashes yet, but it might start at day 72ish from what I have read. I dont think that bug is 100% though. Literally no other instances in the 66 days I have played I said this needs fixed. (well my map wouldn't load with a controller early on, but I close that pop up in the top right without using a mouse and my map works fine- the only other thing I have encountered but these are both issues for people using controllers)

It is early access, the game was never going to roll out perfect, but if you had the option of early access or waiting a month or two to play it, youd take this route every day of the week. This game is incredibly awesome and based on how many improvements were made to the regular dont starve, this game will be off the charts great in my opinion after while. Klei actually listens to what is being said in the forum. I barely have any experience with Klei, this is the only game I have ever played of theirs, I am not a PC gamer, but I play a lot of console stuff and what Klei does with the interacting with people is unbelievable and admirable in todays world. This was going to be a standalone game but forum chatter made them include this with DS so before long we will have both games in one, going back and forth from each world. I have never seen any gaming company interact with people who play their games like Klei has, they will make this game 99.99% right before it is all said and done.

The only bug I have encountered personally is that the crock pot doesnt work with a controller, and I could care less, theres plenty of ways to increase sanity. I am lucky thus far I am middle of summer and no non stop volcano splashes yet, but it might start at day 72ish from what I have read. I dont think that bug is 100% though. Literally no other instances in the 66 days I have played I said this needs fixed. (well my map wouldn't load with a controller early on, but I close that pop up in the top right without using a mouse and my map works fine- the only other thing I have encountered but these are both issues for people using controllers)

I know all you are saying here, I read this forum almost every day. But I mean, it would be nice to release a patch with a couple bugfixes 2-3 times per week, as they do it with DST. I love this game and this company, I do not mean anything bad.

I guess Capy engaged fixes bugs and they have a slightly different approach.

So I just got into the summer season and yeah, the volcano eruptions are a bit too much.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very cool mechanics, problem is the barrage happens way too often - in the middle of summer with very short breaks. Plus it's a summer and as we know, overheating is quite challenging as it is.

Here's how I died yesterday - began overheating during the day. No wood for the endothermic fire pit so I chopped a few palms - 3 palm guardians awakened and started bombarding me. At the same time the volcanos started to rumble. After a while it started raining boulders and in another few seconds the hounds arrived. I couldn't get to my base because it'd get destroyed, I was still overheating and the night fell. While being chased by the boulders, the guardians AND the hounds I wandered into my spider farm. It was an total and utter havoc and in a way it was pretty awesome. But I died, of course :D

This is pretty rare, obviously, but the point is overheating is difficult to deal with and with the almost constant barrage you even hardly get to use you endothermic pit since you just can't stay in your base. PLUS gear monsters seem to be very rare, in my current playthrough I have survived for almost a year, revealed a good chunk of my map and I still haven't found a single one. That means no fridge and no stored ice. No Moose/Goose either, meaning no Luxury Fan.

I would definitely keep the eruptions but I think Klei should lower the frequency significantly, so we have some time to get back to base, cool off, maybe cook some food etc.

I see your point, but I don't really like that idea unless the old biomes they moved in were heavily reskinned and tweaked.

I mean it would kind of defeat the purpose of being able to travel to and from shipwrecked if all the old content was already there.

Actually, all current SW biomes are heavily reskinned and tweaked old biomes (Same with cave biomes). The  only thing I consider being super original - that water biome with grass and special trees.

Yes, if all the old content is already here, you won't need any portal  to normal world.

I dont really have much of a problem with it honestly and I'm sure they're planning to add a lot more content to the ocean to make it more interesting. They already made the waves better in that it's easier to tell which way they're going so you can ride them more safely. Before the most recent update I had a lot of trouble figuring that out, especially when my framerate was really low

Archived