Volcanoes... why?

Volcano eruptions....just why? Why did they think something that is completely unavoidable and have no way to really prepare or prevent them would be fun?  Every other mechanic and season you can properly prepare or use something to help prevent bad things from happening. But with volcano's it just feels like the developers are telling us to screw off and give us the middle finger. Every other part of Shipwrecked feels fair, interesting and fun. But what is the point in playing if everything is just gonna get wrecked and the whole season your either bored or angry. I really don't think I'm going to play anymore Shipwrecked until its either changed or removed, and if it isn't than i guess I just lost ~$5.

Actually looking at the code there is a way to prevent it (kinda) but it's not implemented yet. 

The method being offering meat or live creatures to the volcano to calm it for a unspecified amount of time.

And also it's unknown if you need to go inside the volcano to do it or not.

Actually looking at the code there is a way to prevent it (kinda) but it's not implemented yet.    The method being offering meat or live creatures to the volcano to calm it for a unspecified amount of time. And also it's unknown if you need to go inside the volcano to do it or not.
Cool! Can't wait to start my cult in Don't get wrekt together.  :loyal:  

I love the mechanic but I came to the conclusion that volcanic eruptions shouldn't be a season but something that happens from time to time just like hound attacks. They definitely stop you from staying in your base but them coming constantly for days ruins the fun of building your base (the only creative factor of the game) and exploring without destroying all the resources wherever you go. I'm on day 93, it started on day 60 and they are still falling from the sky. It started out very exciting but It's just gotten repetitive and not fun after a while.

They destroy endothermic fire pits and trees giving you shade in the heat but they don't drop nitre to replace your loss. 

I agree that eruptions shouldn't be a big cluster**** of a season, they should be an occasional thing like hounds or finding a message in a bottle. Either that, or items are added that help protect from volcanic rocks. My ideas are:

1. Hard Hat- crafted with 3 coconuts, 3 shells, and 2 snakeskin- While equipped, this prevents volcanic rocks from doing damage to you and only you.

2. Sacrificial Altar- crafted with 4 boards, 1 brainy matter, and 1 obsidian- a structure that works similar to the ice flingomatic, protecting a certain circle of area from meteors, fueled by meat and seafood instead of logs. 

3. Crashing Cruiser- crafted with 10 cut stone, 5 electrical doodads, and 3 bottles- a submarine-like boat that floats on the surface of the water, has 600 health and volcanic rocks do 95% less damage to it. 

I think these cover all the categories necessary for effective eruption protection, eh?

I agree that eruptions shouldn't be a big cluster**** of a season, they should be an occasional thing like hounds or finding a message in a bottle. Either that, or items are added that help protect from volcanic rocks. My ideas are:

1. Hard Hat- crafted with 3 coconuts, 3 shells, and 2 snakeskin- While equipped, this prevents volcanic rocks from doing damage to you and only you.

2. Sacrificial Altar- crafted with 4 boards, 1 brainy matter, and 1 obsidian- a structure that works similar to the ice flingomatic, protecting a certain circle of area from meteors, fueled by meat and seafood instead of logs. 

3. Crashing Cruiser- crafted with 10 cut stone, 5 electrical doodads, and 3 bottles- a submarine-like boat that floats on the surface of the water, has 600 health and volcanic rocks do 95% less damage to it. 

I think these cover all the categories necessary for effective eruption protection, eh?

Those are some really cool ideas. Especially digging the hat and submarine, and they should be fairly easy to create? 

Eruptions right now really do feel like a helpless affair. You can prepare for every aspect of other seasons, but there's nothing you can really do about the volcano except just... run. :| Having some items to help us manage eruptions would be a lot more satisfying.

Actually looking at the code there is a way to prevent it (kinda) but it's not implemented yet. 

The method being offering meat or live creatures to the volcano to calm it for a unspecified amount of time.

Ooh, interesting.  It'll be nice to have some method of switching off the rocks of doom for the season.

I'm on day 93, it started on day 60 and they are still falling from the sky.

Ouch!  They've been falling for 33 days?  That doesn't sound quite right for a seasonal mechanic.  I wonder if there's a bug causing it not to shut off.

Ooh, interesting.  It'll be nice to have some method of switching off the rocks of doom for the season.

Ouch!  They've been falling for 33 days?  That doesn't sound quite right for a seasonal mechanic.  I wonder if there's a bug causing it not to shut off.

I think it will be more like a world event and you will need to do a seasonal offerings to the volcano . But for now if it's not only summer and there is no way to calm it down yea it's pretty unfair ... You can kinda deal with it for 1 season but not all the time .

I'm not sure I care much for the idea that, once it begins erupting, the player has to make a trip every season to keep it calm.  It takes a little while to sail around the map and one could end up wasting precious days getting to and from the volcano.  That it would be restricted to one season is a little more manageable, make a trip or just make a 'summer' base nearby, then head back to the main one after the dangerous season has passed.  This is something I already do in RoG to deal with summer heat so as not to have everything burn down.

Add 5 new craftable items:

Autumn sacrifice = consists out of basic materials like bamboo, wood, coconuts etc. + an autumn unique thing

Storm sacrifice = consists out of a variety of craftable cloth and ship parts + a storm unique thing

Flood sacrifice = consists out of many vegetables and venom glands + a flood unique thing

Volcano sacrifice = consists out of many minerals and ash + a volcano unique thing

Sacrifice to the gods = crafted out of all 4 seasonal sacrifices

The unique things are only obtainable in the corresponding season and should be rather rare. Like a Walrus Tusk from a hunting party.

With that system you would constantly try to craft your sacrifices throughout the year and then when the volcano season strikes, you can throw the sacrifice to the gods into the volcano and the eruptions will stop.

I am scared - although I like the idea, in some aspects. I don't see why a volcano should be seasonal - it has to do with the movement of tectonic plates and magma under the ground, nothing to do with the weather! - but having to pacify it every so often to prevent it from erupting sounds fun and interesting. As long as it's not too difficult to do. Meat sacrifices, sure - rare seasonal items, NOPE! And it definitely shouldn't be going on for as long as 33 days, I would have thought the mechanic should be similar to the meteor showers in DST. Does an eruption cover the entire map or just the area local to the volcano..?

I don't really care for the persistent volcanic eruptions during the summer. I'm all for a challenge, but as it as stands, the mechanic just seems broken. There's no escape from the heat or the falling debris. During the night, it's half impossible to see the falling projectiles. This is what ultimately killed me on a run I was fairly confident in. I kind of feel cheated out of all the work that was put into my base, and I hadn't even made it to the meteor "apocalypse" portion of the summer. I think I'll come back to Shipwrecked once the expansion has been thoroughly balanced.

I agree that the showers should not happen exclusively in the summer: a periodic event throughout all the seasons. It's just too difficult to juggle overheating and the meteors. Also, if sacrificing something to the volcano is what stops the meteors, perhaps the showers could more frequent and more violent the longer the player fails to make the sacrifice (given the eruptions happen year round instead of exclusively during the summer?)

I really enjoy Shipwrecked because how much larger the world feels, but the summer eruption mechanic has to be adjusted.

Lava caves confirmed!

I find the Volcano interesting honestly, though they should tweak it still. Yeah, it makes it forces you to run out of your base and try to live off from other sources on the run. Kinda similar to flood season if your base gets surrounded by water and poison bees. But since there is no way to prevent a Volcano, I think they should balance the timing of the lava rocks and the damage that they can do. 

Maybe add some buildable turret or something to counter this.

I would love the idea of a autonomous turret, which would shoot down the falling rocks, awesome :D !

Would need to be very expensive and also would need to eat a lot of fuel not to be too overpowered though...

But the idea of building a sacrifice altar, which would have a range like a flingomatic (maybe larger) and sacrifice resources to it for being protected (like in a gangster movie :D) is also cool

What I'm not sure to understand about the summer is why the volcanic eruption has been partially implemented. According to Atsumame earlier in the thread, there is a way to apease the volcano in the code, but it's not yet in game. 

But the Shipwrecked Summer is based on the volcanic concept, and without any actual way to stop the eruptions, the summer is clearly overpowered. The two or three last days of the summer are just a non-stop, constant eruption. I don't find the season fun at all (but that's just my opinion)

I understand this is an early access and the volcano part is probably not finish yet, but for now the summer is really, really hard, and not for the good reasons.  :frown:

What I'm not sure to understand about the summer is why the volcanic eruption has been partially implemented. According to Atsumame earlier in the thread, there is a way to apease the volcano in the code, but it's not yet in game.

Good question. I wonder if it's evil genius on Klei/Capy's part to put the difficult part in first, then just fix it during Early Access. Rather than have us be "complacent" with the incomplete features and rage later on when they introduce volcanic eruption...?

Archived