Volcanoes... why?

If the double-rate volcano near the end of the season is an intended thing, and not a bug, then that DEFINITELY needs to be changed.  It's already a dangerous enough mechanic being insta-kill, and occuring basically every other day.  It's tedious and a strain on the eyes to sit there for half a day just staring at your character trying to see the meteor shadow through the smoke. 

It does NOT need to go on perpetually and at double the rate near the end of the season.   It'd be just fine if it continued at the rate it currently goes at. through the end of the season.   

Sacrifices to the volcano itself are NOT an acceptable preventative, as it's very possible the player has not even found the volcano by the first summer.  It's fine if that's a thing you can do if you're lucky and found it, but given that it destroys everything except a normal campfire, the heat becomes a huge problem.  It wouldn't be as bad if it were JUST continuous at the same rate for awhile, or JUST the same every other day but double the rate while happening.  But continuous AND double rate is way too much.  I'd much rather have the old heat mechanic with spontaneous combustion back, vs the volcano in current form - again, assuming the double-rate and continuous shower I've experienced are by design, and not a bug.

If the double-rate volcano near the end of the season is an intended thing, and not a bug, then that DEFINITELY needs to be changed.  It's already a dangerous enough mechanic being insta-kill, and occuring basically every other day.  It's tedious and a strain on the eyes to sit there for half a day just staring at your character trying to see the meteor shadow through the smoke. 

It does NOT need to go on perpetually and at double the rate near the end of the season.   It'd be just fine if it continued at the rate it currently goes at. through the end of the season.   

Sacrifices to the volcano itself are NOT an acceptable preventative, as it's very possible the player has not even found the volcano by the first summer.  It's fine if that's a thing you can do if you're lucky and found it, but given that it destroys everything except a normal campfire, the heat becomes a huge problem.  It wouldn't be as bad if it were JUST continuous at the same rate for awhile, or JUST the same every other day but double the rate while happening.  But continuous AND double rate is way too much.  I'd much rather have the old heat mechanic with spontaneous combustion back, vs the volcano in current form - again, assuming the double-rate and continuous shower I've experienced are by design, and not a bug.

I agree whole heartedly.

I thought it was intentional and not a bug, though it is just too much and overdone/broken, if you have NOTHING to stop it, which seems to not be implemented at the moment.

This can, doesn't have to but can, drive players immediately away from the game and not come back, especially when they don't bother to go to the forums to find stuff out > very bad reputation for the game.

Appeasing the Volcano WOULD be OK for me, IF (!!) you can craft an Altar at your base which costs stuff, but not rare stuff - just like the endothermic fire pit for Summer, for example, or the Ice Flingomatic and this Altar could also have a bar on it, where you can see how long your sacrifice appeases the Volcano.

I really don't like travelling the whole map to find that darn Volcano itself <_<, since especially players that won't play with Wendy (like I do) will have problems, if Hound Sharks attack you, while you hopelessly surf around to find it... and even WITH Abigail, they will kill her at a certain point, if it is daytime and then, good luck if your boat isn't armored and has no guns on equipped.

As I said elsewhere twice:

I am in my 2nd Volcano Season right now and I DIRELY want to continue my save, SW is fun and entertaining, BUT (!) when it comes to nearly opening the game I'm reminded that I'm still stuck in that broken season and I lose all the will to continue to play it - especially since I am stuck near the end of the season atm, with nearly NO grass to cool myself down anymore and unable to travel to the next island, because Hound Sharks and Abi is dead (got killed by them and then when revived, hit by a meteor <.<).

The other crappy season is the Monsoon Season, because the Sandbags are buggy as hell and even 3 layers won't stop the water from leaking through apparently, but at least you can manage it somehow and won't have to run around without food and supplies on an empty island at one point v.v...

but given that it destroys everything except a normal campfire
 - maybe it also won't destroy an endothermic fire? (As opposed to an endothermic firepit.) Otherwise it does seem far too unreasonable to expect the player to dodge the meteors while on the run in the scorching heat of summer.

I haven't gotten to summer/volcano season. I am still in winter/hurricane season day 33. However the idea of something like a meteor shower one-hitting you, seems too over the top for me. I'm ok with it doing a lot of damage, and getting hit by more than one in a row without healing in between being enough to kill, but to simply one-shot really discourages me from continuing on. The idea of dying because I get distracted for a second (by say my dog barking) or momentary lag, with no way to prepare (build a shelter, sacrifice to the volcano god) or recover (run away and heal) seems highly unfair. Please fix this!

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if there were Tiki statues that you can sacrifice to to appease the angry volcano Gods? You could find them scattered around islands and make sacrifices to them!

They could be protected by hostiles, just like the Guardian Pigs used to be.

After all, we do have the models. :)

- maybe it also won't destroy an endothermic fire? (As opposed to an endothermic firepit.) Otherwise it does seem far too unreasonable to expect the player to dodge the meteors while on the run in the scorching heat of summer.

Sadly, it destroys both.

The endothermic firepit and the little endothermic fire.

Archived