Starving should be an issue

How many of these do you think should be implemented?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How many of these do you think should be implemented?

• All of these should be implemented
    • Most of these should be implemented
    • Some of these should be implemented
    • None of these should be implemented

After day 10 getting food will not be a problem, but it should always be a challenge to get food. here are some changes I think should be made to food gathering:

1) If the player is closer to a rabbit's hole than it is, it will run away from the player similar to when it doesn't have a hole.

2) Traps cannot be placed within a certain range of a rabbit hole.

3) Birds do not land on unbaited traps.

4) Birds will not land on seeds within scareing range of the player.

5) Pigmen are slightly faster than the player and don't get stunned as easily.

6) Tallbirds don't get stunned as easily

7) Crows will "attack" planted crops and need to be scared away by the player, are also scared away by the Pumpkin Lantern

8) Beefalo do more damage

9) Beefalo will try to avoid Abigail (will wake up if sleeping)

10) Berry bushes grow berries slower

The game is called Don't Starve, shouldn't starving be an issue?

----Updated----

11) crockpot recipes that use monster meat should damage alot of health

Edited by ManagerOfWar

I like your suggestions, but you are not addressing the fact that I am rolling in honeyed hams right now because of all the monster meat I am getting to shove into my crock pot from all the spiders I've been having to fight since the queen update went live.

I think the biggest problem right now is the player's ability to stockpile massive amounts of food. I think food being able to rot away over time would go a long way to making starvation a real threat to experienced players again, though I know that it also presents a big technical hurdle and wouldn't be too easy for the devs to introduce.

The devs also seem to be addressing the issue of food being too plentiful with the coming addition of winter. To my understanding, farms won't work during the winter and many of the usual food sources will be inaccessible, though if players are still able to stockpile food when winter is introduced like they can now, they'll be able to completely bypass the food-related threats of winter.

The devs also seem to be addressing the issue of food being too plentiful with the coming addition of winter. To my understanding, farms won't work during the winter and many of the usual food sources will be inaccessible, though if players are still able to stockpile food when winter is introduced like they can now, they'll be able to completely bypass the food-related threats of winter.

It makes sense, stockpile for winter or die. Winter should be long.

It makes sense, stockpile for winter or die. Winter should be long.

I don't think food should rot away quickly, so short term stockpiling to prepare for winter should be possible, but since food lasts indefinitely at the moment, the player can amass a ridiculous amount of food, more than enough to let them just turtle their way through all of winter.

I don't think food should rot away quickly, so short term stockpiling to prepare for winter should be possible, but since food lasts indefinitely at the moment, the player can amass a ridiculous amount of food, more than enough to let them just turtle their way through all of winter.

Oh and the cold of winter would preserve food. Throw 50 snow krampuses at the player to even things out.

Food that rots away is a good idea to solve the food hording problem. This game is called "Don't starve" and not "Never Starve". :D I agree with most of the ideas of ManagerOfWar. I also wish a more challeging gameplay. At the moment it's really easy to survive like forever.

I agree getting food should be a bit more difficult but, someone posted this once and I think of it every time one of these threads come up.:)

"If your starving, your doing it wrong."

Just helps me to remember that the game is called don't starve not, you're going to starve.;)