There should be a penalty for always leaving pvp servers in danger

I don't know what kind of system can be implemented but the problem with the pvp is when a person sees himself in danger, they simply get offline and get online in 5 minutes later. This is bad if your base is discovered. you cant leave your base because it is going to be griefed and they get online with same hunger and food items and they dont spoil. On the other hand while you are in the server your foods do spoil.

I do not have a base in any dedicated servers especially dont even have a backpack in pvp servers but even though you dont have a base, person who sees himself in danger gets offline and this does not even make any sense. Say you have a fire staff you attack once and he gets offline right away.. This is why I don't like dst pvp servers.

We were playing with my bud and there were 2 more guys. They saw me in my day 2 (they were day 5) and they followed me 1.5 days straight and i did not get off. Once one of them get hit by my bud (he had a pan flute) they get off and they came in like 5 mins. They did this for several times and this really breaks the pvp experience...

I've had this problem nearly every time I play on a PvP server. The scenario always seems to be: Someone attacks me or steals something from me, so I fight back and give chase, using any resources and weapons I've crafted or gathered to inflict damage. But, when my opponent is nearly dead, they quickly disconnect, leaving me with no way to recuperate the stolen items or finish the kill that, ultimately, only made me waste the resources I used.

Maybe a system where if a player leaves within a certain amount of time after being hurt by another player, they automatically die might be a good start?

If somebody is engaged in PVP combat and leaves/loses connection the server should kill them , doesn't matter if the person "lost connection" , they shouldn't be playing a PVP server anyway. This should obviously be a option for the server to choose on/off

I agree with what you are saying but I don't think this should be implemented until things like pan flute are dealt with. It's just too OP and if you're caught by someone with it they can have a total of 10 uses to just keep putting you asleep, leaving you defenseless. Yes there are ways to fight back but at the moment OP strategies should be nerfed before we punish the people who are trying to escape things like spammed pan flute/sleeptime stories uses.

Sadly, this is how the Pvp is. I don't really think there is anyway for Klei to nerf combat logging, as I've experienced combat logging 90% of Pvp servers. This is one of the sad merits of pvp that we can do nothing about. But hey, here is a tip. Wall them off and use on tentacles, that strat has always worked in fighting people who combat log! But if you're not Wickerbottom, then there really isn't anything you can do against this.

I agree with what you are saying but I don't think this should be implemented until things like pan flute are dealt with. It's just too OP and if you're caught by someone with it they can have a total of 10 uses to just keep putting you asleep, leaving you defenseless. Yes there are ways to fight back but at the moment OP strategies should be nerfed before we punish the people who are trying to escape things like spammed pan flute/sleeptime stories uses.

well without those items its impossible to catch someone. With the same sensse, you may say fire staff is also OP. These items make difference for someone who can kill others... You have to take any necessary precaution for that such as walking around with a log suit and helmet.. 2 people just chased me 2 days, I was wolfgang and I was wimpy and even in that case they could no successfully land a single hit except for once.

Annnd you may be right about giving that item to people for free because it spawns by glommer statue which does not make sense for pvp servers. Currently this item is not craftable but if they add a recipe, they should make it rather hard to craft

well without those items its impossible to catch someone. With the same sensse, you may say fire staff is also OP. These items make difference for someone who can kill others... You have to take any necessary precaution for that such as walking around with a log suit and helmet.. 2 people just chased me 2 days, I was wolfgang and I was wimpy and even in that case they could no successfully land a single hit except for once.

Annnd you may be right about giving that item to people for free because it spawns by glommer statue which does not make sense for pvp servers. Currently this item is not craftable but if they add a recipe, they should make it rather hard to craft

While it can be hard to catch someone because of that, I'm not saying completely take out pan flute. I'm saying perhaps nerf the fact people can just keep putting you asleep, leaving you completely defenseless. You could have that armor but if you can't defend yourself then you're already dead. I mean, having pan flute for free is nice and all but making it craftable would definitely be nice instead of having a race to find it.

there's already a penalty for that, is called being a *****.

for those players who escape from danger just ban them, there is nothing to do because you can't force the players to play right? but maybe in the future you could unlock a chicken costume, then the other players would know how coward are you, but still being optional, right now just keep playing... survive, fight and die with honor and you will find better friends to play

How about when in a PvP server you must remain in that server (just for arguments sake) 10mins AFTER being attacked. This gives the attackers 10mins to give chase and finish you off.

IF you leave at any point within those 10mins everything you had up until you started playing is auto dropped and you're insta-killed. 

How's that? 

I think the best option would be that the pan flute can only be used ONCE as a defence if you need to escape , using it another time won't have any affect on that player.

Another idea could be that the players that were engaged in combat would need to be about 1-2 screens away (depending on zoom) for combat to end, this would give defence options as a player who wasn't up to the task could escape combat by using a pan flute (only working once) or using a ice staff to freeze them. (using much more durability than normal use PLUS they can only be frozen twice to stop spam)

How about when in a PvP server you must remain in that server (just for arguments sake) 10mins AFTER being attacked. This gives the attackers 10mins to give chase and finish you off.

IF you leave at any point within those 10mins everything you had up until you started playing is auto dropped and you're insta-killed. 

How's that? 

Something like that but 3-5 minutes sounds nice

I've never actually played a PVP server but just logging sounds super annoying lol

I'm surprised there isn't already a mod for this on the workshop, if I was better at modding for DST (and wasn't lazy) I would make it myself.

The main hurdle would likely be catching all cases of the player being in danger (for instance, in darkness but only if that'll result in being attacked from it). There should also be a 1 second grace period where you can log out despite being considered in danger, as it would otherwise be unfair if you died because you got hit just as you were leaving (unless that hit kills you, of course), and if they take longer than a second they probably saw it coming.

I do know that it's entirely possible to make a player's inventory drop when they leave, there's a multiplayer balance mod that I can't remember the name of that drops the inventory of players if they haven't been alive for X days (to prevent hoarding and leaving, I presume). Therefore, that half isn't an issue.

Here's a list of dangerous scenarios that I thought of that'd catch most attempted combat logs without impacting regular gameplay much:

- Took damage within the last 5 seconds (unless WX-78 drying damage and health is above 30, would be a pain to wait for otherwise)
- In perceived darkness (also happens to block logging for the spawn light)
- Hostile entity within a screen (not specifically monsters as it's character dependant, maybe check if they're targeting the player)
- Hostile giant within 2 screens (pretty sure Bearger is not hostile)
- Player who attacked you within 2 screens (player no longer considered an attacker once out of that range, so it's a case of out-running them)
- Insane, and a nightmare monster within 1.5 screens (maybe check if it's targeting the player)
- Hounds arriving within the next 15 seconds or arrived within the last 5 (can leave during the hounds, provided none are nearby)
- Freezing/Overheating (or about to)
- Wildfire within half a screen (can't imagine it's hard to get away from, if it is you're probably going to get hurt by it)
- Hunger below 10 (if they can't eat to lift this restriction they're going to die, a single berry/carrot would do it)
- Asleep due to pan flute or similar (hostile player might attack them)
- Frozen (do all sources of being frozen do damage?)

- Were-beaver form

If anyone has the skills to make such a mod with all those detections for combat logging, I'd be up for testing it out. It would also be neat if it had a GUI element on clients to let them know they'll die if they leave, maybe a warning on the disconnect screen?

Every time you open the "puase" menu, you stop moving. You have to wait 10 seconds from the time of opening the menu before you can click the "disconnect" button. If you are hit (or are actively taking damage during this time) the timer resets back to 10. Any players that disconnect from a server through Alt-F4 or other means aside from use of the menu are kicked out as soon as that 10 second timer is up.

Players in the menu could be given a specific visual state to help telegraph the fact that they're about to leave the server or are at the very least paused.

Thoughts?

Every time you open the "puase" menu, you stop moving. You have to wait 10 seconds from the time of opening the menu before you can click the "disconnect" button. If you are hit (or are actively taking damage during this time) the timer resets back to 10. Any players that disconnect from a server through Alt-F4 or other means aside from use of the menu are kicked out as soon as that 10 second timer is up.

Players in the menu could be given a specific visual state to help telegraph the fact that they're about to leave the server or are at the very least paused.

Thoughts?

well best suggestion so far...

Sadly, this is how the Pvp is. I don't really think there is anyway for Klei to nerf combat logging, as I've experienced combat logging 90% of Pvp servers. This is one of the sad merits of pvp that we can do nothing about.

Nah, it is actually pretty easy to all but completely eliminate as a problem. Simply leave the player's character in the game for X amount of time after the player leaves. X can be half a minute, a minute, or however long you want.

To be less harsh, you could also make this only happen if the player isn't at full health, or the game has determined that the player was recently in combat or in danger, at the time that he leaves. FlareV2 and Hexicube are on the right direction. :-)

Can you clarify what you mean by kicked out? 

Disconnected from the server.

you could also make this only happen if the player isn't at full health, or the game has determined that the player was recently in combat or in danger

This equates to someone you've been chasing for a while (but not hitting) leaving with no consequence. A simple timer prevents them from doing so.

Ehh... Ignoring that you made a definitely-wrong sweeping generalization... Yeah, right, maybe you're not missing anything, unless they took something of yours, or attacked you, then ended up logging off after you retaliated.

Besides, just being denied the kill itself can hurt the play experience. More so if you've spent time and effort into it (damaging and chasing the guy or whatever).

Nice post count!

Disconnected from the server.

This equates to someone you've been chasing for a while (but not hitting) leaving with no consequence. A simple timer prevents them from doing so.

Oh I think I understand what you are saying now. You are saying if they quit the game through any other means besides the pause menu the 10 second timer for their character to disconnect with start and every time they are hit the timer will restart even though they are not in the game anymore. Hmm that's a pretty good idea then. 

To me this is such a non-problem. 

Combat logging is only done by inexperience players. So if they log off, so what? You are not missing anything, cause they probably had nothing in the first place.

What if this person burned your stuff, ate your food, stole from you or could pose a threat to you in the future? When they disconnect you have no choice but to resume playing normally which potentially gives them a fresh start to build themselves back up and come at you again.

edit: 2potentially

Archived