There should be a penalty for always leaving pvp servers in danger

What if this person burned your stuff, ate your food, stole from you or could pose a threat to you in the future? When they disconnect you have no choice but to resume playing normally which potentially gives them a fresh start to build themselves back up and come at you again.

edit: 2potentially

Easy, you ban them ;)

Ehh... Ignoring that you made a definitely-wrong sweeping generalization... Yeah, right, maybe you're not missing anything, unless they took something of yours, or attacked you, then ended up logging off after you retaliated.

Besides, just being denied the kill itself can hurt the play experience. More so if you've spent time and effort into it (damaging and chasing the guy or whatever).

Nice post count!

I prefer that than what you guys are saying. What if I actually need to log off? What if I get disconnected?

I understand that it's frustrating chasing someone for days to then just have them log out, but really, so what? You've already ruined their experience, so mission accomplished on your part. And like I said, legit players don't combat log and if they do, they log back in 2 minutes later cause they are invested. If they don't it's because they had jackshit.

Every time you open the "pause" menu, you stop moving. You have to wait 10 seconds from the time of opening the menu before you can click the "disconnect" button.

As good as it initially sounds, if you dig into it even a little bit it's actually a terrible idea.

Here's some issues with the proposal:

- Force-closing the game via task manager causes an instant DC due to a terminated connection (you'd keep your stuff too)

- You can grief players by very slowly damaging them (punch every 8 seconds) to force them to stay for several minutes as you slowly kill them

- Players who need to leave very quickly (maybe it's an emergency) are forced to leave the game open, effectively killing them

- If you're WX-78 and it's raining, you cannot leave because of the periodic damage (something like a 3 second timer), and must wait out the storm AND dry off afterwards

Additionally, any penalty to combat logging needs to happen on the server, otherwise it can be bypassed either by force-closing or modifying the client (a workshop mod would likely get super popular). If a leave delay does get used, it shouldn't be more than 2 seconds, which is enough time for a pursuer to catch and hit you, but also short enough to leave between rain damage ticks.

- Force-closing the game via task manager causes an instant DC due to a terminated connection (you'd keep your stuff too)

- You can grief players by very slowly damaging them (punch every 8 seconds) to force them to stay for several minutes as you slowly kill them

- Players who need to leave very quickly (maybe it's an emergency) are forced to leave the game open, effectively killing them

- If you're WX-78 and it's raining, you cannot leave because of the periodic damage (something like a 3 second timer), and must wait out the storm AND dry off afterwards

Additionally, any penalty to combat logging needs to happen on the server, otherwise it can be bypassed either by force-closing or modifying the client (a workshop mod would likely get super popular). If a leave delay does get used, it shouldn't be more than 2 seconds, which is enough time for a pursuer to catch and hit you, but also short enough to leave between rain damage ticks.

Near everything in DST is calculated server-side. It wouldn't be all too hard to have a character "left behind" on a server after a player disconnects, through force-closing the game or not. This would also break any mods that try to circumvent this.

Players griefing by slowly damaging someone? Why not just kill that person? If they are getting close enough to damage you, it can't be all that hard to return fire every once in a while.

Players dying because they have to leave in a hurry is a worthwhile trade-off in my opinion. Even then this happens fairly rarely. Either hope your team can pick off whatever is picking you off or they have methods of revival handy.

Exceptions can be made for freezing/overheating/wetness damage, as stated by others. DOTs (damage over time) can be pretty much excluded from this altogether.

Of course, this system does have it's issues but I do believe it is the best solution to a big problem.

Near everything in DST is calculated server-side. It wouldn't be all too hard to have a character "left behind" on a server after a player disconnects, through force-closing the game or not. This would also break any mods that try to circumvent this.

Players griefing by slowly damaging someone? Why not just kill that person? If they are getting close enough to damage you, it can't be all that hard to return fire every once in a while.

Players dying because they have to leave in a hurry is a worthwhile trade-off in my opinion. Even then this happens fairly rarely. Either hope your team can pick off whatever is picking you off or they have methods of revival handy.

Exceptions can be made for freezing/overheating/wetness damage, as stated by others. DOTs (damage over time) can be pretty much excluded from this altogether.

Of course, this system does have it's issues but I do believe it is the best solution to a big problem.

That's a different system to the one I quoted you saying, and is a much better approach.

Fair point.

A player shouldn't be killed by an IRL circumstance out of their control. Having to wait to press disconnect causes that, a delay AFTER pressing disconnect would work better.

TBH only weather damage should be excluded.

There's two good approaches that I see being effective; A lingering player after you leave, or threat detection. A lingering player would obviously work better as it's 100% reliable for determining if the player will die in the next 10 seconds, whereas threat detection is much simpler to do from a technical standpoint and could work just as well.

Archived