Is it true that Don't Starve: Ship Wrecked

Oh well, since the discussion started again I might as well jump in - Because I can!

Many of you misunderstand the idea of dlc it seems. The SW was prepared as an expansion(a standalone one but it doesn't really matter) and I believe that it should be added as dlc. When I say that it means that I want ALL OF ITS CONTENTS to be added not as standalone but as extention of the game that can be accessed from a save just as how I can access RoG and Caves. In other words I want everything that Klei had prepared as DLC.

I am aware that there may be problems in implementing them whether it is balance issues or technical issues. But please do not use that as an argument to support standalone. Saying that merging them could be difficult does not support the standalone expansion it just means that you believe that Klei should stick with what they already prepared because changing is too much of a hassle. DO NOT SAY THAT YOU ARE IN FAVOR OF STANDALONE IF YOU CANT COME UP WITH A GAME PLAY ADVANTAGE THAT STANDALONE BRINGS!!! 

And it seems that some of you are asking for game tips and advices. I mean asking us about how to defend 2 bases or saying that caves are not meant for permanent residence? Quick answer: When I pass 200 days I build more bases. I have lived continuously in caves for over 200 days as well(3 game years). I have killed Deerclops,Moose/Goose and Bearger with only a spear as Wes. I do not need to defend anything. If smoldering happened off-screen your world would have burnt to crisp in summer.

Guys pls... I have nothing against helping newbies. If you guys have questions as to how to overcome some threats in DS just make a thread and ask. I'm sure many of the veterans here will give the tips you need and now that I actively check the forums for the news of SW(both good and bad) I will answer your questions personally.

So again do not say that you are in favor of standalone if you do not have game play arguments for it. I will gladly help newbies and I do not claim I know everything about DS. Right now I'm trying to kill ancient Guardian with only a melee weapon and just recently I learned that DragonFly doesn't fly over bird cages.

Cheers!

I like the idea of Shipwrecked standalone. And I don't want Klei to drop everything and completely change what they've already developed. I also don't want Klei to change Shipwrecked without realizing how many people either like standalone or were ok with the idea.

To the others, just because you think Shipwrecked improves the gameplay doesn't mean everyone else does. (Everyone plays Don't Starve differently, remember?) How disappointed you feel now that Shipwrecked isn't DLC could change to other people (including me) being disappointed that it isn't standalone. So don't act like only you have the one true solution for Shipwrecked that Klei must listen to.

Why is it a big deal that it's standalone? I don't get it.

To avoid a huge menacing wall of text, here's the short version:

People who get SW standalone have to chose between which content they want to play, Base + RoG or SW.

People who get SW dlc get to experience everything that Base + RoG + SW has to offer.

People who get SW dlc get to experience everything that Base + RoG + SW has to offer.

Everything? Maybe, but not likely. After dealing with the fact that a huge change in creative direction more than halfway through the game's development will undoubtedly change the quality of Shipwrecked. A great deal of content would end up being consolidated because all the content is in one game. DS+RoG giants or Shipwrecked giants? DS+RoG seasons or Shipwrecked seasons? Even if all the content makes it in the game alongside DS+RoG content, the ways they interact will result in a game that is much different than the intended experience of Shipwrecked as a standalone.

I am a bit disappointed too, the standalone change is frustrating of course because together was supposed to be a expancion too, but it is not the problem, the real problem is the way of it was announced, no matters what show us klei or what means with expansion, everyone saw a "DLC announcement" and now it isn't.

Now remember, what happened with together?, it still beta and is awesome already, the owners of the first game got it free, they gave lots of keys for the anticipated access and the game still growing like a standalone.

And back with shipwrecked, maybe a DLC sounds like the best way but only because we are customers, we want the cheapest way and we are not thinking like the devs, if the price is fair I will buy it because I know what klei can do and they never disappointed me, I prefer a good fun full game that a forced and buggy DLC.

But, if tomorrow they say that through the ages will be a standalone expansion and it will cost then I will help with the riot in klei studios, just kidding, but seriously klei, I still trusting on you, make an awesome game like always and don't let starve don't starve 

It's been a few days since the news hit so now I can think somewhat more clearer. I believe that the team of people, including myself, that want SW integrated into the base game as a DLC, don't expect Shipwrecked to have a perfect mixture of base game elements and the new content. What I mean by this is I don't want or expect the seasonal Giants to roam the Shipwrecked world. No, let them stay in the normal world. I don't expect the 4 seasons currently in the game to be customized for the Shipwrecked content. I don't need or expect a fine mixture of the old and new game elements. Caves and Ruins have their own seasons which differ from the surface ones.

Shipwrecked wouldn't need to be rethought from the ground up in order to be released as a DLC, whatever the stage of development is right now, it could be kept up, but simply made so that the Shipwrecked world would be integrated into the base game and accessible from vanilla worlds.

At the moment one needs lightbulbs to craft lanterns, lightbulbs available only in the Caves/Ruins. Do I need a lantern to survive? Not at all. But I like the fact there's such an item for the sake of variety. Do I need a Thelucite Club to kill any enemy in the game? No, but variety again, and I need to explore the ruins to obtain the required materials. Would I need a machete in the vanilla world? Probably not, but it would be one of the many reasons for which I'd travel to a Shipwrecked world. I would have so many more options: should I set up a permanent base in the Shipwrecked world? If there was an option, one could begin the game in a Shipwrecked world and travel to the Vanilla world or decide not to set foot on one ever (the vanilla world and content could even be switched off from the game screen).

Variety. In my case, variety is the magic word.

At the same time, I can't stop not to think about the management of the current Don't Starve games available and what not. I mean, if one needs Don't Starve+RoG in order to play Shipwrecked than standalone is in fact a good publishing format for those who want to play Shipwrecked but do not own DS+RoG. Not making it standalone would give the idea that it would be a bad move from Klei\s side (which wouldn't be true whatsoever) because new customers would need to buy the entire pack for the Shipwrecked content. Do note though that Shipwrecked hasn't been advertised as a standalone game, yet, at least I don't think it's been mentioned in any of the announcements so far besides the twitch stream.

Either way, I'll respect and understand Klei no matter the approach they decide to take with the Shipwrecked content. Do remember, a very big number of players have gotten Don't Starve pretty much for free during the beta.

One thing I'm unclear of: The devs say shipwrecked is a standalone expansion. Does this mean that you still need to have Don't Starve to buy Shipwrecked, even if it is standalone?

Hahahah this is a mess. We should really wait for Klei to explain stuff :-)

EDIT: i hope your question was just a joke. If you don't have DS or ROG yet you should buy it yesterday! .)

To avoid a huge menacing wall of text, here's the short version:

People who get SW standalone have to chose between which content they want to play, Base + RoG or SW.

So in other words, you have to choose between one DLC and the other, right?

We all know Klei could have packaged Shipwrecked with the game and still charged money, so obviously, that isn't a motivation to it being standalone. Perhaps it just didn't make sense both in time and gameplay design to combine 2 wholely different DLCs together.

After all, Klei isn't even making it.

Of course I have DS and ROG silly, but my question wasn't a joke. Why, is the answer really obvious or something?

In gaming its pretty much accepted that the only difference between a normal expansion and a standalone expansion is that the standalone expansion does not require the previous version. I'm pretty sure JoeW also confirmed that somewhere in this very thread.

I mean asking us about how to defend 2 bases or saying that caves are not meant for permanent residence?

Nobody was asking you anything. All questions were rhetorical and the answers were obvious (maybe not to you).

The problem isn't with the programming. Of course if it was only that, that wuoldn't be the reason to keep it a standalone.

I repeat - the main reason to keep it a standalone (for me) is to separate the experiences, because mixing it would undoubtedly change the intended game experience designed now just for Shipwrecked. It was meant to be standalone for a reason and if that was decided even before DST came to life, the reason is surely important and adamant. Or do you think you know better than Klei, who already put their work and thought into it for many months?

I will not buy Shipwrecked.

I will not help people mod Shipwrecked.

I will not use this forum anymore once Shipwrecked releases.

That is my feedback.

Oh grow up. You're boycotting the forum over it? it's disappointing, yes; but not THAT big of a deal. You're acting like Klei just tried to assassinate the Queen of England, and it's coming across as bratty.

Besides; if you were paying attention instead of just whining, you would have noticed that Klei has already addressed feedback regarding Shipwrecked's standalone status and is seriously considering changing it to DLC. They specifically SAID that.

• Developer
Besides; if you were paying attention instead of just whining, you would have noticed that Klei has already addressed feedback regarding Shipwrecked's standalone status and is seriously considering changing it to DLC. They specifically SAID that.

Not wanting to sound rude or anything, but Dark wrote this before Klei announced it'd be a DLC, he probably already changed his mind about this...

It's not the exploration I dislike, that is one of my favourite features of Don't Starve as a game. The fact that, if I/someone else wanted to play with both RoG and SW, the person playing would have to either build two bases (which I don't think is what people want to spend the majority of their time doing, but hey, whatever floats your boat) or build one base somewhere, and then go to the other world and be overwhelmed by the hounds or SW equivalent, because they would have no base. They would have to rebuild a fire pit, science machines if they wanted to prototype, and other base structures.

Let's say, the player has survived on RoG for 150 days. They're pretty confident, so they go to SW. They then have no base, no crock pot, no drying rack, no crock pot, no anything. Now I don't know about you, but I personally wouldn't want this to happen.

But, this discussion is pointless anyway, as you will not stray from your side as much as I will not stray from mine. If it is released as DLC, which I wouldn't prefer due to a later release date, I will probably make a world where I only play SW anyway. And that'll be that.

I'm not sure you fully understand Don't Starve the way it tends to be played. World jumping, resulting in a new world with absolutely NOTHING, often after hundreds of days have passed, is VERY common. It's one of the only ways to freshen up gameplay after day 300 or so. Ever heard of the Wooden Thing? You may not use it, but hundreds of people have made it an integral part of their gameplay.

You're making the very common mistake of simply assuming that your play style is everyone's play style. There are a lot of people who genuinely enjoy creating bases, and would simply look on this as an opportunity to make another one.

As for the loss of progress; as someone else said, it could very well be implemented like caves. I don't know why you're assuming it would be like the Wooden Thing; all progress lost and no way to return.You seem to have a LOT of pre-disposed ideas regarding this expansion with absolutely zero evidence that that is how they will be implemented  (all that even assuming that it does end up being DLC and not standalone).

Archived