Does DST need a tutorial?

There's so many new players, and even more will be arriving when the game goes live in a few days.

In my opinion, the game needs a tutorial. Nothing too complex, just a "survive until day 6" or something like that, with helpful tooltips guiding players. Teach them to craft some of the basic items along with some combat.

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Having watched a lot of Let's Plays of DS, I think there needs to be a VERY basic tutorial that explains the controls and menus.  Like "these 3 icons are your hunger health and mental state.   Tab or M pops up your map.   This thing on the left is a list of items you can craft.  WASD can be used to move.  Hold CNTRL to split stacks".  Really basic things.  I've seen so many people that play for several days and don't realize they have a map.  They die on the first day because they don't realize what the crafting menu is.  I don't think it even needs to be in-game.  Just a Tutorial button that shows you screenshots of some of these things.   I still think it's best to just let the players jump in from day 1 as far as the actual game goes.

when the game goes live, it goes to people that already own dont starve, who should know how to play. The game doesnr need a tutorial, in fact, in my opinion, the best part of the game was the unknown.

@enragedcamel, It has a tutorial, you can see the available things to craft from the start, the game allows you to see some of the things that aren't craftable just yet, letting you know that you need to build a Science Machine first. Giving you a small unseen helping hand.  

The game is about Trial and Error, singleplayer rewards your early deaths via new characters, this isn't in place currently in DST and death isn't seen as quite as big a deal as in singleplayer due to Ghosts and Revival.

DST should get a change in the future that locks the characters until you've played long enough. This will cheer new players up slightly when they die and encourage them to try out every character.

Maybe that's the case for single player, but dying in multiplayer really hurts everyone else on the server.

Only if it's survival. I find survival tedious and unbelievably annoying, as new players die to something dumb like 8000 bees and then they refuse to say their location and try avoiding you when you go to revive them. Waste of resources, really. That's why my server is wilderness. 

The best mode would have been:

-- Portal, one spawn

-- No ghosts

-- No telltale heart

-- No booster shots

-- Resurrection like single player, with resurrectables bound to the player

-- Max health penalties caused only by building effigies

Now effigies would have a bind to the builder, only creator can use it.

Now touchstones reset when the player that touched them leaves the server.

Ghosts are awful.

What do you guys think?

The reason why DS was good (just like all old games) was that it didn't have a tutorial. Tutorials are really boring. Nobody ever really likes a tutorial.  Personally, I don't want a tutorial in DST, or DS. If DS and DST had a tutorial, the game would be too easy. Because a tutorial can be like the game giving you the easy-pass to win. This is the case with most games (the Call of Duty Games, or various other AAA titles). A good example of a hard to play game with a tutorial however, is a game like Invisible Inc. Invisible Inc (which I have played) can be very challenging, especially because the difficulty of games like Invisible Inc is minimal, and very easy to understand once you get the hang of it. Another good example of a hard game with a tutorial, is both Hotline Miami games. These games can be very challenging. DS and DST both fall into this category of very challenging games with no tutorial. DS and DST are hard games when you just start out. The difference being, that both get easier and easier for the player.

I didn't think so because

Lore-wise, Don't Starve Together takes place after Don't Starve.

And

The players walk out of Wilson's portal, not wake up in their world with Maxwell talking to them (even though they're probably unconscious for that moment).

when the game goes live, it goes to people that already own dont starve, who should know how to play. The game doesnr need a tutorial, in fact, in my opinion, the best part of the game was the unknown.

The best part of DS is not knowing anything. In DST it's not as great, as you get players who have no idea what they're doing and jumping in with inherently difficult characters and being a burden on everyone else in the server. The game needs something to teach people the basics, since they aren't going to learn how not to die since they could just get revived.

Wilderness isn't that great either, the random spawn locations makes it difficult for people to find each other in a central base and you have to scour the map each time a new person joins just to get them to the base before they die of lack of flint, freezing, or overheating.

While it's true that when the floodgates open people who own DS are getting DST, there are still people playing who haven't and there are bound to be more people buying the game over time that haven't played DS and don't feel like it since they could just play DST  with others. The multiplayer environment isn't the best for learning the game at your own pace since the people who know how to play will have an efficient base set up by the fourth or fifth day with everything you need, so why would a new player need to go out and find the stuff to do so or ever learn how to set up a base in the first place. A lot of people don't even care about dying because they'll just get revived anyways, leading them to constantly make stupid mistakes over and over even if they know it's a stupid mistake.

Making new players do a solo world and survive on their own until something like day 5-6 without any instruction would actually be great. No "This is hunger and health etc" tutorials, just a thing where you're here, try not to die. If you succeed, you're allowed to go forth and play with others. If not, try again. You'll get it with time. It'd massively cut down on the number of 'idiot' new players who don't know the first thing about the game without forcing a tutorial down someone's throat since tutorials aren't fun. It'd be like unlocking characters in the base game really.

The best part of DS is not knowing anything. In DST it's not as great, as you get players who have no idea what they're doing and jumping in with inherently difficult characters and being a burden on everyone else in the server. The game needs something to teach people the basics, since they aren't going to learn how not to die since they could just get revived.

Wilderness isn't that great either, the random spawn locations makes it difficult for people to find each other in a central base and you have to scour the map each time a new person joins just to get them to the base before they die of lack of flint, freezing, or overheating.

While it's true that when the floodgates open people who own DS are getting DST, there are still people playing who haven't and there are bound to be more people buying the game over time that haven't played DS and don't feel like it since they could just play DST  with others. The multiplayer environment isn't the best for learning the game at your own pace since the people who know how to play will have an efficient base set up by the fourth or fifth day with everything you need, so why would a new player need to go out and find the stuff to do so or ever learn how to set up a base in the first place. A lot of people don't even care about dying because they'll just get revived anyways, leading them to constantly make stupid mistakes over and over even if they know it's a stupid mistake.

Making new players do a solo world and survive on their own until something like day 5-6 without any instruction would actually be great. No "This is hunger and health etc" tutorials, just a thing where you're here, try not to die. If you succeed, you're allowed to go forth and play with others. If not, try again. You'll get it with time. It'd massively cut down on the number of 'idiot' new players who don't know the first thing about the game without forcing a tutorial down someone's throat since tutorials aren't fun. It'd be like unlocking characters in the base game really.

-I like the wilderness so that way if a griefer joins they actually have to spend some committed time to find and destroy the base. I also don't like being stuck as the same character. 

As for everything else you said, they can just make their own world, yes, and could try to live as much as possible. That's why I really want DST + DS to be integrated, so people can easily select a singleplayer option without having to buy/open an entirely different game.

I was really hoping the two would be integrated as well. As for game mode I play Wilderness Survival, it's modded in and basically is random spawns and player can reset characters if wanted, but they can also become a ghost to be revived. No sanity drain from it either. Also a lot of people use global map icons which makes the random spawns annoying more than useful, though off would keep griefers at bay.

I wonder if DST could be integrated after all.

It we put a DLC002 folder and just dump everything from DST, wouldn't activating it overwrite everything from DS?

Like how RoG overwrites most of the things, but doesn't appear as a mod.

It would overwrite it. But then you couldn't play the solo version of the game and caves/teleportato/adventure portal would but out because the game wouldn't know what to do with it. Or at least that'd be the theory as to what would happen, go ahead and try it and do science.

Archived