Reign of Giants public test: April 13th Update

• Developer

April 13th Update - 133483

Some bug fixes and improvements, and also some info for restoring server list when opting out of RoG beta:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52847-restoring-server-list-when-opting-out-of-rog-beta/

Here's what we fixed in today's update:

• Fixed a bug preventing Thermal Stones from cooling inside and Ice Box
  • Updated Flingomatic animations
  • Reduced network data cost of world wetness during rain

Original Post:

Hi everybody! As you know we've been hard at work on integrating Reign of Giants into Don't Starve Together, and we're just about ready to launch it! The main challenge at this point is that RoG is a whole lotta game and we need your help testing it to make sure we didn't break things as we converted it over to multiplayer.

It's not quite ready for prime-time yet, but if you want to hop in to our testing branch, we'd really appreciate letting us know if anything is crashing, broken, or missing.

Instructions for getting the RoG test version:
  • You must already own Don't Starve Together. (Reign of Giants not required.)
  • The game must not be running.
  • In your Steam client right click on Don’t Starve Together Beta and select “Properties”
  • Select the “Betas” tab
  • Enter the code “rogtogetherbeta” in the text box and press the “Check Code” button. You should see a confirmation message that the RoG_Together_Beta is now available.
  • In the drop-down under menu select to opt into RoG_Together_Beta. You should see a message that you have successfully opted into the RoG_Together_Beta. Press “Close”.

post-202401-0-18353700-1426617529_thumb.
post-202401-0-23299900-1426617532_thumb.
post-202401-0-81487300-1426617534_thumb.

WARNING!
This uses the same save slots as the normal game but the saves aren't compatible. Make sure you create a new save file for your RoG test as the save files won't transfer back to the normal game.
WARNING!

Please keep all bug reports and related conversation in this thread so that all the feedback related to this special testing branch is in one place. Thank you!

Current known issues:
  • Bearger, Dragonfly, and Goosemoose (Moosegoose?) are still missing, they'll show up sometime soon though!
  • Moggles are missing due to technical challenges with night vision.

Major changes from single-player Reign of Giants to be aware of:

• Fire spreading has been rebuilt to be slower/preventable but still threatening.
  • Deerclops shows up all winter long to harass everyone's bases.
  • Heat stones have been reworked to more clearly display if they'll help you or not. The graphics change to show if the stone is warmer or colder than the current ambient temperature.
  • Updated smallbird lifecycle so they can grow up in the wild.
  • Crafting menu has been altered to be more dynamic, so scroll arrows only show when needed. Mouse wheel also works on it!
  • Full moon has been retuned to 1 night every 22 days, starting on the 11th day.
  • Flingomatic "off" modes has been turned into "emergency" mode.
  • The Old Bell and Bigfood are absent from multiplayer due to their extreme destructive potential.
  • There are also many small changes and fixes, but keep your eyes peeled for anything weird!
  • We will be continuing to address balance and tuning issues for multiplayer, so your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks for your help, everyone! We're excited to get RoG out to you!

Don't forget to post your feedback in this thread. The test branch is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Dedicated server instructions:

If you are running your server through the steam interface: Simply go through the above process with the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in the tools list to join the rog_together_beta branch and launch the server.

If you are running from the command line using steamcmd:
Launch steamcmd and run:

app_update 343050 -beta rog_together_beta -betapassword rogtogetherbeta validate 

Further information can be found at: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD
Thanks @Kzisor!

Hi,

This might not be directly bug, but somehow it is.

If you're farming spiders and using traps, stay behind the trap and let the spider get trapped.

Even the first animation is the trap which moves first, the spider still hit.

Other thing. Can you make mobs to focus out the players first? Cause when you have chester, it is so easy to kite around and kill spiders, hounds, walrus..

What is the update about the internal test with the giants? I can't wait any more :p 

Time to merge branches. :-)

Not so fast.  The Giants have to be added first.  Probably the Moogles too; which in turn might make it possible to add Woodie in a bit sooner then latter (if the night vision problem has been solved).

EDIT: Changed the word "with" to "if." So now it's: "if the night vision,,,,,"  Making it a speculation statement instead of it being a misleading conjecture.  I apologies for that typo.

Awhile back ago one the developers (don't remember if it was Seth, or someone else) had talked about the reasoning why Woodie was not added in yet. Simply because the beaver vision is a technical issue that needs a overhaul for DS:T specifically (beyond any balancing issues). Same goes with the Moogles sharing that same technical issue. Hence if one or the other was brought into DS:T then bringing the other one would soon follow in it's footsteps. It's something along those lines. Since I don't recall if it was in a post or during one of their many livestreams broadcasts on Twitch.

I have no idea if they figured something out though. It's a bit of my speculation on what they are doing for the future development of DS:T. Considering you never know what direction they might choose to go do next. If Moogles becomes too much of an issue they might shelve it temporally and move onto the next thing. You never know.

EDIT: Found it.  It was Seth and it was in his last fireside chat thread about RoG.

Yep, Webber and Wigfrid will come with RoG. Woodie is still a ways out: gotta sort out the local lighting thing (which we're doing for the Moggles as well) and almost definitely redesign his qualities a bit. We're still not sure how we're going to handle Wes and Maxwell: they were both unlockable (through adventure mode) in DS and we haven't quite figured out how that maps onto DST. We'll let you know when we do!

Sorry If I did not find the quote right away. It's a bit past midnight and I am a bit tired.  Plus I actually did not think it was there originally.

Step 1) Play Wilson.

Step 2) Be in Summer season.

Step 3) Wear only the ice cube.

Step 4) Wait.

Step 5) Now you have 50 moisture, and 0 sanity penalty.

Step 6) Now you don't overheat at all, temperature won't reach 70 ºC.

Intended?

Not so fast.  The Giants have to be added first. ...

Only 10% people are testing RoG branch. More people will be involved, more bugs will be found.

What is the reason to test RoG, if there is no people to play with? First of all I need people. I can play without giants, but I can't play without people.

Just... merge the branches, please.

Only 10% people are testing RoG branch. More people will be involved, more bugs will be found.

What is the reason to test RoG, if there is no people to play with? First of all I need people. I can play without giants, but I can't play without people.

Just... merge the branches, please.

I take it you have not visited the steam forums of late? Or know people in general who seems to be on the other perspective of you. The ones who basically take any bit of misgivings and turn into their own private way to spread their misinformation about the current state of the game. In my opinion I rather not have that happen.  It would be better to get in the rest of the major features in first (via this RoG beta). Instead of getting spam of "Klei you broke the game; fix now" on any of the forums.  It's annoying at best. Even when they know it's still in beta. So better safe then sorry.

Anyone else having the problem where Jerky on the rack will sometimes turn into rot after a server restart?

Yes I did! Same scenario, fresh meat on drying racks, restart server, no jerky on the racks but only piles of rot underneath them on reconnect.

I take it you have not visited the steam forums of late? Or know people in general who seems to be on the other perspective of you. The ones who basically take any bit of misgivings and turn into their own private way to spread their misinformation about the current state of the game. In my opinion I rather not have that happen.  It would be better to get in the rest of the major features in first (via this RoG beta). Instead of getting spam of "Klei you broke the game; fix now" on any of the forums.  It's annoying at best. Even when they know it's still in beta. So better safe then sorry.

But no.. No, and just no. sorry to disappoint you.

Look at my steam time. I play Rog 5-10 hours a day (I dont have a job, atm. So I have a lot of spare time).

However, when I see the server list, MAX is 20 players playing during a day.

You have DST BETA and RoG beta?

Two betas? That makes no sense at all.

I rather have a completely fully bugged RoG than this RoG wich there is 5 difference from the normals DST. For me, this RoG and normal DST, there's more or less no differences, since the Giants is the only thing I am waiting for.

As the guy said before, more things into RoG brings more players. Which also means you'll have more bug reports (EDITED from "players", misspelling).

I will bet my whole life on, YOU will have bugs after the game release no matter what. So why taking all this time idk.

I know you guys needs to rework a lot of codes. But..

EDIT: What you replied to that guy, was you only focused on the negative thing. You don't want to bring more things into the RoG because there will be complainers??? Really? That's so sad to hear.

There will be complainers no matter what. And as he said, they already say "FIX MY GAME" after every single update you guys make.. And really, when you guys make an update, I am like " HOLY ****, YES". And when I see the lines update.... I almost fall asleep again.

However, you totally ignored my chester issue.

Otherwise..

Why not completely remove the normal DST and make it RoG only?
In the world edit, you can put the "no giant" here, which will make it into normal DST.

You guys are making your job harder, trust me :) 

We are the players, we know what will be best for us :p

However, if it is the easiest and fastest way for YOU, well. Keep going then.

About the chester problem, a solution could be, if a player is close to chester and a mob, the mob should attack the player instead.

Chasing Walrus and his dog without begin afraid of hits bc of chester is really easy mode. Not to mention the game is really easy when youve played it for a month. Actually it is only the new players what makes you game harder :) 

For some feedback:

I'm on your side! I find those whiners on Steam annoying too. I like to think it's just a few who don't 'get' beta/early access (along with the whiners who don't get that DST won't be instant full game free for DS owners by waving of a magic wand). A few noisy ones. Don't let them dishearten you. Think of all the silent ones who are not complaining because they are simply enjoying the game as it is!

You've listenened to those yelling for keys and giving people a way to buy into the Beta (which I think is a nice move), but some [insert favorite swearword] complain about that now. There'll always be someone complaining. My grandmother had this (German) saying: (translated) "(Having) every human pleased, is an art that no one masters." (Couldn't find a way to make it rhyme at the same time as making sense. "Jedem Menschen Recht getan, ist eine Kunst die niemand kann.")

I see you put all this work into the game. You talk with people, accept feedback and suggestions. You give them puzzles, support modders. In my never humble opinion, you're doing a great job!

Off to other stuff mentioned:

With RoG in the main DST beta, wouldn't it be an option to add the features anyway? So everything in the main branch doesn't mean every server uses it.

Concerning Chester. That he's targeted by mobs is more worrying for me (and a friend I'm playing with most) because sooner or later he's destroyed, we don't even dare taking him on trips because of that. We'd rather have no mobs targeting him. My suggestion: Can you make it an option among the world settings to have Chester be targeted or not?

I think all those options to customize the world and stuff great. Letting people play the way they like! : )

On a similar note, if there's a question about making some characters unlockable or playable straight away, I ask for the latter. Having to do stuff in-game just to get the characters doesn't sound like fun. (Much like achievements - I totally agree with why you don't want them. I found enough in other games that are no fun.)

Edit: And I promptly forgot something else, concerning Woodie's night vision. Just curious: The mod with Woodie works fine, is there something wrong with whatever method the mod is using that you need to find a new way?

TL,DR: Don't let the noisy folks rule, the silent majority is probably too busy enjoying the game!

The mod with Woodie works fine, is there something wrong with whatever method the mod is using that you need to find a new way?

The nightvision of the host player protects clients, even if the clients see themselves in the dark. That's the issue.

But Klei also wants to see if they need to revisit Woodie's werebeaver form.

The nightvision of the host player protects clients, even if the clients see themselves in the dark. That's the issue.

They will absolutely need to revisit the Werebeaver form. Its only downsides was being unable to collect any resources it generated during a rampage and inability to sustain form in tree-less areas, with a friend backing you up both these downsides are gone.

Only way I can see balancing it is to remove voluntary transformations and limit the full moon transformation until next night or so. Incidentally, that would also fix the problem with seeing at night because he would only last for the full moon night + the next day/dusk at most. To prevent him getting ganked by Charlie, I would just give the free light players get upon joining when he changes back at Dusk.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Hello.

I was running RoG Dedicated server.

I found a bug about snow.

No snow on the floor when it is snowing...

All member of my server said "No snow on the floor."

here is screen shot.

post-606286-0-03573500-1429124174_thumb.

so,

I used remote console.

c_save() and c_reset()

then, problem fixed.

Snow on the floor!!!

post-606286-0-02719000-1429123986_thumb.

This problem was happened yesterday.

and, also happend again today.

Is it bug, right??

Hello.

I was running RoG Dedicated server.

I found a bug about snow.

No snow on the floor when it is snowing...

All member of my server said "No snow on the floor."

here is screen shot.

so,

I used remote console.

c_save() and c_reset()

then, problem fixed.

Snow on the floor!!!

This problem was happened yesterday.

and, also happend again today.

Is it bug, right??

sorry.

The order of screen shots should be changed.

no snow on the floor is 1st.

then, snow on the floor is 2nd.

because sooner or later he's destroyed

He regenerates health extremely quickly (fully recovery in 20 seconds, so 22.5 health/s), has 450 health, and respawns a couple of days after dying. So don't worry about taking him on trips, worry about the stuff he's carrying that he might drop if he dies :razz:

He regenerates health extremely quickly (fully recovery in 20 seconds, so 22.5 health/s), has 450 health, and respawns a couple of days after dying. So don't worry about taking him on trips, worry about the stuff he's carrying that he might drop if he dies :razz:

I'm talking from experience, not theory. He does get destroyed. And then, as you say, he can't carry stuff, so might as well not take him along in the first place.

Plus of course monsters targeting him messes up all sorts of stuff, from luring them somewhere, to trying to run from them.

Which (wandering minds and all) has me think of a skin I'd like: Chester hats for everyone! : ) Maybe with a variant where half the character's head looks out of the opened top. (Or occasionally does peek out.)

Archived