Bee-have. Investigation into the Bees

LadyD

Its science time people.After many lovely new games and various experiments its time for my report on Bees. So the run down.Bees tend to have about 3-4 hives per world at the momentThey exist in natural form until you make yourself a bee box to farm them.In the natural state they have a lovely YELLOW hive and in the domestic farm they have a box you build.The Natural state first.The natural hive can be found in forest areas. So far I have not found one in the grasslands- yellow grass here. Nor in the swamps. I have only found them in light forested areas as opposed to heavily.They have about 8 or so bees to the hive that seem to replenish each and every day.To get honey you kill the bees or catch them. Sometimes they drop honey sometimes they dont and drop stingers instead- But that is only when caught. Killing them doesnt drop anythingSoo.Domestication.You catch the bees, smash the hive and steal the honey and comb. IMPORTANT- do not eat all your honey. You will need it!!Honey can not be used on the Advanced farm plot to make more so be careful with it.Likewise the comb.So you built you box- it will be loud and unfriendly. Build away from your home.Bees will attack you for raiding their box- wear the hat. Now to harvest your honey- options.Night time- all bees are home and will come out to get you.Morning- the bees are closed to home.Sunset- bees are returning.MIDDAY- PERFECT- most the bees are away and you can swoop in and harvest without pain.Bees the lazy wayYou can use the pan pipes to put them to sleep for 20 seconds or if used at night they STAY asleep all night- Thanks Toaster Fu. Oh HONEYAbout 5 points in the science machine per batch- if i recallDoesn't take off huge amounts of hunger but its easy to get lots of it and it does more than berries.Honey is the best for restoring health Thanks ArchAlecsSo... Those are your bees.Questions? Additional discoveries?PS- Wish could have more comb? Wish could smoke bees to calm them or build a hat to let me harvest without attackLike the bees want more hives?PSS- the beehat was originally an idea of Mr Toaster Fu. Thank him for it.

Edited by LadyD
Additional information included- Thanks Toaster Fu and ArchAlecs

I can second that Toaster Fu as I too have seen that the pigs really and I mean REALLY don't like bees as they go straight for them as Soon as they are within range of them and the bees don't seam to retaliate until the pig hit the bee.

My conclusion "Go for the eyes boo GO FOR THE EYES".

It seems that pigs are VERY unhappy with bees.I think I need start making notes for my experiments. I been doing them off memory. I can remember telling myself that I should note the hostility of the pigs but I forgot when writing up. Hahaha

• Developer

Oh wow, I love these threads. You guys really pick things apart quickly! The bees are a bit, erm... buggy at the moment. Tatham (our new gameplay programmer), is currently fixing them for the next release. I'll see if I can persuade him to post some details here.

Its science time people.After many lovely new games and various experiments its time for my report on Bees. So the run down.Bees tend to have about 1 hive per world at the momentThey exist in natural form until you make yourself a bee box to farm them.In the natural state they have a lovely YELLOW hive and in the domestic farm they have a box you build.The Natural state first.The natural hive can be found in forest areas. So far I have not found one in the grasslands- yellow grass here. Nor in the swamps. I have only found them in light forested areas as opposed to heavily.They have about 8 or so bees to the hive that seem to replenish each and every day.To get honey you kill the bee. Sometimes they drop honey sometimes they dont.Soo.Domestication.You kill the bees, smash the hive and steam the honey and comb. IMPORTANT- do not all your honey. You will need it!!Honey can not be used on the Advanced farm plot to make more so be careful with it.Likewise the comb.So you built you box- it will be loud and unfriendly. Build away from your home.Bees will attack anything.Lets say that again.ANYTHING.They kill mandrakes, attack rabbits, beefaloo, spiders... you name it they will pick a fight with it.Now to harvest your honey- options.Night time- all bees are home and will come out to get you.Morning- the bees are closed to home.Sunset- bees are returning.MIDDAY- PERFECT- most the bees are away and you can swoop in and harvest without pain.Bees the lazy wayBuild your nest next to spiders or beefalooThese guys will kill your bees and you just go pick up the honey. Still have option to go harvest the hive you built to get additional honey.Oh HONEYAbout 5 points in the science machine per batch- if i recallDoesn't take off huge amounts of hunger but its easy to get lots of it and it does more than berries.So... Those are your bees.Questions? Additional discoveries?PS- Wish could have more comb? Wish could smoke bees to calm them or build a hat to let me harvest without attackLike the bees want more hives?PSS- use your pigs to take on your bees. Beeeee lazy. - Pigs are VERY hostile towards bees. They attack them on sight without provocation.

You forgot something honey is the best food ever for health :) Hunger like you said mediocre but when i first started to kill spiders etc honeycomb was the best thing ever until i got armor :p

• Developer

Haha, love the science!It's true, the bees are a little buggy right now. Let's say they're in early...beeta?Originally we just wanted more dangerous things in the world, but it doesn't really make sense for the bees to fill that spot now that some new creatures are finding their way to the islands, so I'm giving them chill pills so they won't need to fight everyone all the time. They also shouldn't be regenerating from hives at such a fast rate, and I'll be dialing that back so the bees are not everpresent after attacking them once.We've also got a beekeeping hat coming in that will protect you from the pesky little devils while you take the honey that is rightfully yours.Now they're less aggressive I suppose I could put some more of them on the islands too...

now that this thread got necroed, I actually think that it might be in need of an overhault, since 90% of the information in the OP are not true anymore. Well, thats the hard job concerning science, most knowledge needs to be updated frequently.