I am kinda dissapointed to be honest.

As a big fan of Klei and the Dont Starve game I have to say I am dissapointed you've chosen to work with the "Early Access" concept.

I did read the FAQ and your statement there why you chose to go with that but that makes no sense to me, the only major thing is the multiplayer you basically had to add the multiplayer options to the normal game or at least add most of the first game's content because I think it's a greedy concept to go with " early access " for a duplication game with just multiplayer ..

Also nothing guarantees the multiplayer game would be updated after the steam contract expires and I had expectations you would add a massive amount of content into Dont Starve together ( or even many more new things since there is the combo element here ) ..

Discuss.

How is it greedy when it's free?

If you own DS, you (will) get DST for the grand sum of $0 (or £0 or 0 euro depending on your location).

If you have chosen to pay extra cash to get Early Access to the Beta, then that's your choice, but I really don't feel that the developers have been anything but up-front and straight-forward with what they are delivering.

As a big fan of Klei and the Dont Starve game I have to say I am dissapointed you've chosen to work with the "Early Access" concept.

I did read the FAQ and your statement there why you chose to go with that but that makes no sense to me, the only major thing is the multiplayer you basically had to add the multiplayer options to the normal game or at least add most of the first game's content because I think it's a greedy concept to go with " early access " for a duplication game with just multiplayer ..

Also nothing guarantees the multiplayer game would be updated after the steam contract expires and I had expectations you would add a massive amount of content into Dont Starve together ( or even many more new things since there is the combo element here ) ..

Discuss.

a classic case of "Saying something without doing all the research first"

This has to be someone who is just instigating trouble. Or one of those splinter faction of extremist of those misinterpreting things that youtube personalities say like Totalbiscuit or Jim Sterling. Those type of people who think early access is pure “evil.” The tunnel vision these people have, when it comes to these things.

Sure both TB and Jim show off the real ludicrous problems with kickstater, greenlight ,and early access (or early release betas & alphas). However they have also highlighted the good as well. As a matter of fact Don't Starve was the first to go into early access and the first one to leave it. Like with most games going into this direction, it's to get feedback from the community. In which the not so “evil” developer actually improves on the game based on that feedback. By the way TB's wife still play's DS.

As for DS:T development itself. I'm sorry, but if you were here at the beginning you would have noticed how DS might have never gone down that multiplayer route. However people were clamoring for it, so they eventually successfully tested out a prototype version of DS:T. Nevertheless there was a new net code that had to built from scratch, in order to accommodate multiplayer. So if they just added everything from single player DS now it would have been a complete mess. It's like trying to fit a square object into an oval shape hole.

As for your theory they will never add anything more to the game after launch. Your already proven wrong on several accounts. First they have a free DLC planned for us called Through the Ages exclusive for DS:T. Second they have already added a few things in that were never in single player, but were made to help balance multiplayer (the Ewecus being one those clear examples). Third Klei has been one of the few companies that don't just drop the ball after something has been released. For instance they kept their promise after DS was originally released with their 6 months of post development via caves.  Finally if you have the base DS game then DS:T is free for you, once it come out of early access.  Only if your impatient you can spend real money to get into the early access.

I am really surprised you would say that. I think they are some of the best indie developers. Not only they added tons of free contents to DS (which they can easily charge us more), but also adding the multiplier for free. As a game developer myself, I understand that adding a multiplier can be very tricky. I sometimes think that they should really be "greedier" as I am afraid that they won't have enough fund to develop more awesome content.

I get information about this game from TB (few years ago in early access, and I am very pleased that they are still adding contents for free). They also developed some of the best (if not the best) indie games available on steam too. Thank you developers :D Personally I would happily throw more money at them... (or you could simply wait and get DST for free), but seriously, I would describe they are the opposite of "greed"...not the other way around....

Hey there, @SpawnOfDarkness

Sorry you feel that way. We understand that people have concerns with Early-Access. However, we believe it's our responsibility to continue to be a good example for how Early-Access can function to the benefit of everybody involved.

It seems like one of your biggest concerns is the lack of additional content in DST. You are absolutely correct that there is very little new content in DST. This is entirely intentional and there are a couple reasons for that. 

First, much of the work on the "new stuff" has been related to supporting multiplayer. Such as admin tools, server listings, a total UI overhaul and changes to gameplay mechanics to name a few. The majority of "Don't Starve" is in DST, and we are working towards Reign of Giants as well. (As a free content update to DST)

In addition to this, we decided a while back that we want to put our focus on the points above exclusively and not work toward new content until after we get DST where we want it to be and exit early-access. Simply put, we want to get DST OUT of early-access. 

Adding new content before DST exits early-access would stretch out the length of time that it would take to finish DST, so we placed our focus on Reign of Giants exclusively. 

Check out our roadmap and most recent status update for more info. 

@SpawnOfDarkness

You know Spawn I am pretty much right there with you--EXCEPT when it comes to Don't Starve, they do Early Access right. When I play early access with Don't Starve I feel like I'm enjoying a quality product that feels polished, like a real game with complete features. I feel this way about Don't Starve Together as well. The bugs and issues with the game are not obvious, and their reasoning for not releasing all of the SINGLE PLAYER content upfront makes sense given the branch point for the multiplayer version of the game from the original single player version of the game. 

I think Klei has been clear that selling early access here is an opportunity to fund and test their altered product (especially given the price-point for already owners of the game for when together comes out: IE free). I'm trying not to speak for everyone here, however old players would likely assert that they feel they may have paid too little for Don't Starve given its excellence in quality and entertainment. I was happy to give them more money to take the game further.

But seriously. I HATE early access. I nearly freak out every time my steam bar shows yet another garbage, cash grab, zombie apocalypse rip off title. 

@SpawnOfDarkness

You know Spawn I am pretty much right there with you--EXCEPT when it comes to Don't Starve, they do Early Access right. When I play early access with Don't Starve I feel like I'm enjoying a quality product that feels polished, like a real game with complete features. I feel this way about Don't Starve Together as well. The bugs and issues with the game are not obvious, and their reasoning for not releasing all of the SINGLE PLAYER content upfront makes sense given the branch point for the multiplayer version of the game from the original single player version of the game. 

I think Klei has been clear that selling early access here is an opportunity to fund and test their altered product (especially given the price-point for already owners of the game for when together comes out: IE free). I'm trying not to speak for everyone here, however old players would likely assert that they feel they may have paid too little for Don't Starve given its excellence in quality and entertainment. I was happy to give them more money to take the game further.

But seriously. I HATE early access. I nearly freak out every time my steam bar shows yet another garbage, cash grab, zombie apocalypse rip off title. 

Discuss.

I dont understand this concern. Here is why, the lions share of early access games come from developers that have no past credentials . Those developers are the very definition of not trustworthy.  and you are correct most of them wont ever finsih their game.  some more still will purposefully launch crap on the service to make a buck.

but you are forgetting one thing. KLei is not some noob developer that sprouted up a few months ago.  they have several quality games under their belt and a pretty stellar repuation to protect.

Besides what they are doing now is no different from when they launched the origional dont starve  there was a closed beta there as well that was  pretty darn easy to get in to.

on top of that dont starve is an established game with established mechanics.  if all they did was port what they had  from Ds,  Dst would be a success

and one final nail in the coffin of yoru concern....  mods.  

Klei said   they would put in RoG and ToTA  that is content a plenty for a 20 dollar game.

Hey there, @SpawnOfDarkness

Sorry you feel that way. We understand that people have concerns with Early-Access. However, we believe it's our responsibility to continue to be a good example for how Early-Access can function to the benefit of everybody involved.

It seems like one of your biggest concerns is the lack of additional content in DST. You are absolutely correct that there is very little new content in DST. This is entirely intentional and there are a couple reasons for that. 

First, much of the work on the "new stuff" has been related to supporting multiplayer. Such as admin tools, server listings, a total UI overhaul and changes to gameplay mechanics to name a few. The majority of "Don't Starve" is in DST, and we are working towards Reign of Giants as well. (As a free content update to DST)

In addition to this, we decided a while back that we want to put our focus on the points above exclusively and not work toward new content until after we get DST where we want it to be and exit early-access. Simply put, we want to get DST OUT of early-access. 

Adding new content before DST exits early-access would stretch out the length of time that it would take to finish DST, so we placed our focus on Reign of Giants exclusively. 

Check out our roadmap and most recent status update for more info. 

I really really hope reign of giants and the other missing content ( I am not expecting exlusive dont starve together content yet ) would be added as soon as possible : P 

I really really hope reign of giants and the other missing content ( I am not expecting exlusive dont starve together content yet ) would be added as soon as possible : P 

Absolutely! If anything I'm just frustrated that I don't have it RIGHT NOW!!! :) Time to exercise my patience.

this is the typical case of ununderstandable child, they allways cry about whatever with beta stuff.  But to be honest I believe that beta access should br free, since uses steam and is not like anyother easy crack game, beginning to think in this when saw that origin ( the really bad copy of steam ) has free demo or free trial period, not for bs games, its has for BF4 eg

this is the typical case of ununderstandable child, they allways cry about whatever with beta stuff.  But to be honest I believe that beta access should br free, since uses steam and is not like anyother easy crack game, beginning to think in this when saw that origin ( the really bad copy of steam ) has free demo or free trial period, not for bs games, its has for BF4 eg

Demo is not like early access at all. The whole concept for early access is that "you are not supposed to buy this game right now (because this game is supposed to be buggy and missing content) unless you really like the game, fully understand the game's state and want to support us." Demo is used to promote the game on the other hand.

If early access was free, then people would burn out before the game's even finished.

Demo is not like early access at all. The whole concept for early access is that "you are not supposed to buy this game right now (because this game is supposed to be buggy and missing content) unless you really like the game, fully understand the game's state and want to support us." Demo is used to promote the game on the other hand.

If early access was free, then people would burn out before the game's even finished.

NSS !!  Btw if you gonna quote try to read full text, I said " free demo or free trial period ", never compared anything, also used the world "SHOULD" =  " Used to express probability or expectation: They should arrive at noon. "

free trial period = full game for a shot period of time

but this is off topic now

But to be honest I believe that beta access should br free, since uses steam and is not like anyother easy crack game
Erm, why? I don't see why a game being harder to crack should make it free. And one of the main reasons most of the developers nowadays go for Early Access is because they can be supported as they build the game(and also get feedback), instead of only after it's done, and only if it's good. It's a good way to prevent things from coming out rushed. But if the game is free, that's basicly making all the work done in Early Access worth much less(and forcing many game developers with lower budgets out of production).

NSS !!  Btw if you gonna quote try to read full text, I said " free demo or free trial period ", never compared anything, also used the world "SHOULD" =  " Used to express probability or expectation: They should arrive at noon. "   free trial period = full game for a shot period of time
WTF was that even about? I don't think I've seen such out of place and somewhat rude use of dictionaries since the beginning of my English classes 4 years ago...

Should is used to express... well, that something should happen. It can be used both as a way of saying you expect something to happen, like your example, or saying that you want that/think something would be better if something happens like my example "I believe that beta access should be free".

(please don't use capital letters.)

Erm, why? I don't see why a game being harder to crack should make it free. And one of the main reasons most of the developers nowadays go for Early Access is because they can be supported as they build the game(and also get feedback), instead of only after it's done, and only if it's good. It's a good way to prevent things from coming out rushed. But if the game is free, that's basicly making all the work done in Early Access worth much less(and forcing many game developers with lower budgets out of production).

WTF was that even about? I don't think I've seen such out of place and somewhat rude use of dictionaries since the beginning of my English classes 4 years ago...

Should is used to express... well, that something should happen. It can be used both as a way of saying you expect something to happen, like your example, or saying that you want that/think something would be better if something happens like my example "I believe that beta access should be free".

(please don't use capital letters.)

Nah early access has no advantages, I miss the times when a game was deliverd completely and of course got updated with new content after, delivering 10% game with its  " idea" is boring and most of the time dont work well.

Archived