Don't Starve Together Roadmap Update: January 2015

• Developer

Happy new year, folks!

Wow, that sure was an eventful December. We worked fast and furious leading up to our Early-Access launch on December 15, putting together new game modes, a whole new UI, a ridiculous amount of bug fixes, and established a solid server support process allowing us to respond quickly if things go south. Personally I managed to both catch the flu and be on call for one of our outages, which was exciting! :-)

We’ve now taken some much needed rest over the holidays with our families, and we’re back at it. Taking stock of what we’re hearing, we’ve noticed four major community requests that we’re currently focusing on:

1. Player-hosted dedicated servers

2. Controller support

3. Mac and Linux support

4. Reign of Giants integration

We have Player-hosted dedicated servers coming up soon, followed by Controller support, and then Mac / Linux builds. At the same time, we’ve started a large-scale Reign of Giants integration.

Because Reign of Giants affects almost every system in the game, rather than putting it in piece by piece, Reign of Giants will be added pretty much all at the same time. In addition to the integration, we’ll need to make sure it is properly adapted for multiplayer. What some of you may already know is that Don’t Starve Together and Reign of Giants overlapped in development, hence the RoG code diverged from the DST code. We now have to do a massive merge, and that will take some time. As usual, once Reign of Giants is in your hands, we’ll work together to balance the experience.

We also know that Caves and Adventure mode are often requested. However, because these have both big technical and design ramifications, these will have to come a bit later. We’ll be talking about these separately at a later date.

While we will continue with a relatively frequent schedule of hotfixes, our larger content updates are taking a break until we can get Reign of Giants in.

During this period, we’ll still be on the forums, applying hot fixes for bugs, and balancing, and @PeterA will still be continually improving the mod system. On that note, the most popular mod currently has 120,000 subscribers!

I hope that makes clear what our priorities are in the near future. We feel strongly that what the games needs right now are the above features, and we need to concentrate on that before adding large pieces of new content. Once that’s complete, we can then focus on future content expansions, such as Through the Ages.

That’s it for now. As always, let us know if you have any questions, comments, and feedback. Keep it coming!

heres somethign you can do for me a friend gave me a copy but mine does not look  like his mine is out of date and it wount update so plz on steam make it to were u can update cause i love the game but iam going to uninstal it if i cant play with my friend or others online

the only reason controller support makes sense is that they plan on releasing on consoles at some point.  Which can bring in a large amount of income if released properly. 

If they include some marketing and their already good reputation for providing a beautiful game without needing huge graphics it could be  hit.  But since consoles draw more casual gamers than most platforms.  Casual gamers tend to not care about the quality of the game but the quality of the graphics.  And regardless of the beauty that this game has in its unique art it may not sell as well as they might hope.

But hey I don't have the statistics on casual gamers so my opinions have zero evidence to back them up currently. 

• Developer

To be clear, the list of things that we're focusing on isn't ordered by priority: it's ordered by delivery date. We're working on everything in that list already! They're equal priority, but because some of the tasks are smaller than others, they will be ready earlier.

Can we get an estimated date for the first implementation of RoG?  What are your goals?  1 month?  3 months?  Just wondering.  I am done playing until RoG is added as the game is too easy as it is.  With 2+ people you have zero difficulty getting a camp setup that will get you through the first winter and then after that is "game over".  There is nothing to do, nothing to work towards, etc.

Can we get an estimated date for the first implementation of RoG? What are your goals? 1 month? 3 months? Just wondering. I am done playing until RoG is added as the game is too easy as it is. With 2+ people you have zero difficulty getting a camp setup that will get you through the first winter and then after that is "game over". There is nothing to do, nothing to work towards, etc.

They announced "Through the Ages" for spring, so I guess at the latest RoG will be fully compatible in spring.

RoG integration! This is great news! And also terrible news! Now I'll have to deal with the heat, while not being able to hide in a hole just to avoid having the world get set ablaze. Oh no!

Out of curiosity, how has RoG content availability been decided, for the current moment? Openly available until DST is fully released (and therefore, would no longer require the numbers for better, more wide-spread testing), or available for those who have purchased the DLC (to therefore avoid crossing those who could feel wronged for having bought a DLC that others can now access for free)?

Out of curiosity, how has RoG content availability been decided, for the current moment? Openly available until DST is fully released (and therefore, would no longer require the numbers for better, more wide-spread testing), or available for those who have purchased the DLC (to therefore avoid crossing those who could feel wronged for having bought a DLC that others can now access for free)?

Only RoG owners will be able to host RoG servers(and use webber and wigfrid), but everyone can join them.

Archived