The curse of open multiplayer

One thing that makes me kinda sad is me realizing that it won't be as fun when the beta is open. so many people who don't care, trolls, hackers, etc. it will make DST less fun. idiots coming into the game. people who don't have practice with SP, and who didn't play it because "Multiplaier is moar funn". players like that ruin multiplayer games a lot. if only the beta would remain closed. only a selected few would get in, good players, competent players, players with respect and training.

now that i think about it, will DST really be as fun as itis now when random stranger join your game, grief you and leave? I'll still be happy when i get my key, but after the beta, will it be as fun? prive servers, sure, but that's not always fun. I probably won't have interest in DST as it goes public anyways seeing as hhow i loose interest in things rather quickly, but for the others...

is there a way things can be made better? or will we just have to make private servers everywhere?

Trust me, it's like this already and we're in bloody closed beta. Sure, as there's a larger quantity of players that play DST the griefers etc will also increase in numbers, but it's inevitable for any online multiplayer game. Just look at the key depot sub-section, there's already a massive amount of 1 posters who want (NEED or else they stop breathing or something!!!!!111) a beta key "to just play DST because I like DS". There's already a vast minority of non-private servers in the server list.

Personally, I will  keep my worlds public (except when playing exclusively with friends) because the griefers and downright new players are in the minority compared to the friendly more experienced people. Plus to me, griefing griefers is fun and you can have a little laugh about newbie people dying to funny stuff (babbies first nocturnal player made bee box gathering :D ). I'm open to anyone joining, but if you're not I would still suggest to make a server anyone can join and bond up with the friendly people. That way later on you can start making passworded servers for your newfound friends to join (hopefully by that time you have plenty of those), and all is fine and dandy!

@AdamTheGamer @luivul I know that feel so much. When I pre ordered 7 Days 2 Die in 2013, I had an amazing experience with the game. Felt like a dreamgame and it became more fun when the multiplayer appeared. Then came the people you know very well. Trolls, griefers, don't gaf'ers and they shattered that world I imagined.  So I left my feels towards the multiplayer games.

Anyways, don't give your hopes as I did!

There are already trolls who made my server crash sometimes and thieves who stole the eyebone in a server to then leave and never join again...

My Chester *sob*

Anyway it is true that there are more good players than newbies, trolls and griefers. However I could still find them, stealing stuff, burining stuff, etc.

Maybe they can make filter what will allow join only those player who have played DS for 1000 hours etc. Or if you have survive more than 100 days, 200 days you can join specific server so advanced players can play with advanced players. Hope you get what I mean. 

Maybe they can make filter what will allow join only those player who have played DS for 1000 hours etc. Or if you have survive more than 100 days, 200 days you can join specific server so advanced players can play with advanced players. Hope you get what I mean. 

Quite good idea but I'm sure some people would disagree with it.

Mostly such filters are getting tons of hate but here in DST it makes a sense. It should be tracked by Steam though as you might reinstall your DS and all your days record and possibly hours played would be lost.

That make sense. I already played 1000+ hours, so I can imagine a world where are only 'pro' DS players :)

Well the "days" filter wouldn't work very well because you can simply write 1 command into console and Voila, there's your 99999 days. And for hours played.. well that can be farmed (idling) too, can't it?

There is no concrete way of fixing the troll and hacker population.

The most they can do is give the host the ability to kick and ban players from the server.

I feel that if these players have stolen though, mostly for the eyebone, the object could be left back in the world where they logged off.

If the player was banned, it would treat it like a dead body, dropping all items they had and thus everything you lost is returned.

This still will never fix the issues at hand but it can help some cases of downright bad sportsmanship.

As for hackers, there's not much that can be done aside from banning and having the console disabled for everyone but the host, or having console down right disabled.

There is no concrete way of fixing the troll and hacker population.

The most they can do is give the host the ability to kick and ban players from the server.

I feel that if these players have stolen though, mostly for the eyebone, the object could be left back in the world where they logged off.

If the player was banned, it would treat it like a dead body, dropping all items they had and thus everything you lost is returned.

This still will never fix the issues at hand but it can help some cases of downright bad sportsmanship.

As for hackers, there's not much that can be done aside from banning and having the console disabled for everyone but the host, or having console down right disabled.

They already have kick/ban commands, but they haven't implemented a UI for it.

Edit: partially implemented, no ban UI yet.

• Developer

Yes they have. Implemented in the last update. :-) Only kick and mute option though.

Yep! We had a ban button too but through that, discovered that there were some issues with the ban functionality. We're fixing those and will be adding that button back in before too long. I've also posted here with some additional information about our current thinking/explorations in solving the griefing problem.

I'm not a bad person, i always try to be a friendly good guy in all games, but i only have 200+ hours in dont starve and i usually get bored and delete my world by the time it gets to day 60+. I hope I can get into multiplayer games without having to figure out how to make my own server.

if only the beta would remain closed. only a selected few would get in, good players, competent players, players with respect and training.

yeah easy enough to say when you're one of the lucky few to have a beta key.

selfish much?

I don't have a key, mate. I Seriously honestly don't. and even if i had one, how would that make me selfish? if you're gonna be mean, go away.

Ignore him. He's just mad because he doesn't have a key yet. Some people have patience, some don't. Well, that's easy to say for me, though. I got my key within 1 day of even wanting it.

Archived