Make Longpig from players a toggleable option in a config (defaulted to off) instead of forcing modders to bring it back

Really it's all in the title. I think it's ridiculous for the developers to entirely remove it from the game, forcing modders to "figure out" how to put it back in (I don't care how "easy" it is, as a person who does not make mods, it's ridiculous to remove a feature that should have been optional in the first place.)

Options are always good.

And I'm not even saying put it in the options menu, put it in the actual config file for the server. If people want it, let them have it, don't force them to mod it in when it was in there in the first place.

To be clear. It wasn't "removed" from the game. It was part of the PAX version of DST that was created to provide a 15 minute example of Don't Starve Together, which was not even full beta at that time.

So, it was no more removed from the game than the meteor apocalypse that happened when the server reset after 15 minutes as neither were official features.

As with previous test versions of Don't Starve, there are going to be a lot of changes that take place from now until official release. The point that was being made previously was that the assets were being left in if somebody would like to make a mod.

Really it's all in the title. I think it's ridiculous for the developers to entirely remove it from the game, forcing modders to "figure out" how to put it back in (I don't care how "easy" it is, as a person who does not make mods, it's ridiculous to remove a feature that should have been optional in the first place.)

Options are always good.

And I'm not even saying put it in the options menu, put it in the actual config file for the server. If people want it, let them have it, don't force them to mod it in when it was in there in the first place.

This is an incredibly entitled attitude to have.

Honestly, the only thing cannibalism adds to the game is reasons to grief other players, which actually takes away from the experience.

Until we have the community enough to say Don't Starve is only for a certain age group, certain aspects won't be coming. Sadly enough, or not sadly because it works, we have an all-ages game here

The thing is. If we limit the game because of something like wanting cannibalism, we are going to limit the age group that plays this. This game has themes of cartoon violence, but not to such a degree that something like blood or gore would be involved. Hell, you only get blood from mosquitoes anyway, and that really isn't used for much. (Anything at all?)

It would be like browsing deviantart with the filter set to only safe searches and finding pr0nz. An experience that will maim you, you didn't expect it, but now that image is forever burned into your head. Trauma.

tl:dr As much as I love the idea of cannibalism, it would hurt the game as a feature in itself. Would mod it in.

HUMAN_MEAT_ENABLED = false

""-- keeping this here in case someone wants to mod it in. It won't be a default part of the game (or even an option), but we've already done the work
-- and someone might be able to do something cool with it."""

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*From game files (commentary)*

Well, now you know what they do think about this...

I still don't see why people are so turned off by cannibalism.
*shrugs* Perhaps that's the biologist in me.

It's just a different cultural norm - and an unhealthy one at that... but it's no worse than cultures with different religions, in my opinion.

I still don't see why people are so turned off by cannibalism.

*shrugs* Perhaps that's the biologist in me.

It's just a different cultural norm - and an unhealthy one at that... but it's no worse than cultures with different religions, in my opinion.

You pretty much explained why I don't like cannibalism or most religions.

The idea of eating an animal who can carry all the diseases I can catch is disturbing.

Mechanically, in DST there is an abundance of food, having players benefit from other players dying more doesn't improve survival and encourages griefing.

Honestly, the only thing cannibalism adds to the game is reasons to grief other players, which actually takes away from the experience.

There's more reason to kill players than for one piece of meat, namely the 10-20 other items in their inventory which may or may not be in stacks of 10-40. If there's going to be griefing it seems likely it'll happen at roughly the same rate with or without longpig.

Also there's the argument that you can't exactly "grief" on a PVP server. Why turn PVP on just to say in the description, "Don't kill other players!"?

There's more reason to kill players than for one piece of meat, namely the 10-20 other items in their inventory which may or may not be in stacks of 10-40. If there's going to be griefing it seems likely it'll happen at roughly the same rate with or without longpig.

Also there's the argument that you can't exactly "grief" on a PVP server. Why turn PVP on just to say in the description, "Don't kill other players!"?

This.

Playing Devil's advocate.

Maybe some players like to have the realistic environment where you can actually hurt someone else. I know some hardcores have even made the game harder just for fun as well.

Griefing would probably come from, "OHMYGOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?! ALL I WANTED WAS A LITTLE FUN. DOITAGAIN"

I don't think you see where modding is going to take longpig.

First thing I'd do is make unique longpig drop from each character, and then make a craftable hat with their head on a stick, predator style.

Why?

1) That would be awesome

2) There is no second reason

I pretty much have to say yes to this. With all due respect for Klei, this option should have been in DST, and not left up to mods for this to happen. I'm more of the type for hosting and playing on servers. I'm not a complete nerd that can play around with mods, as I'd likely cause more harm than good. I'm not for cannibalism, but I AM for eating my friends! P:

I just need to get this out of the way. I dislike seeing peoples "entitlement" stances in disagreements/suggestions.

Whew! There we go. Anyways!

I pretty much have to say no to this. With all due respect for Klei :-)

They have made their decision about it, and not only that, they aren't forcing anyone to not be able to mod it or whatever, they are just saying, 'hey officially we aren't going to add it or its not going to officially be apart of the game play experience'. If anyone else wants to they can. You can request it, in the mod'ers section probably? Or if you want you can figure out how to make mods, with their mod advice/help forum (they planned on getting more involved with I think). - I personally, don't know anything, but at some point I'd love to get into it.

I like when people have their own opinion and don't force others to share that same opinion. And I respect Klei for that. This is their game. And it's their decision on what and what not to add officially, (And I frankly I trust their judgement completely). They are not "our" "monkeys" that we can force them to do what we want or say, especially with the argument of "Well, I don't know how to do it myself."

So, instead of trying to force (and/or berate) it to happen. Which officially, I think has been established, it won't be. Maybe just ask nicely for help or wait til someone else decides to work on it.

That's just my opinion.

Archived