Effigies/touchstones only activated by living players

The current meat effigies/touchstones ressurection process requires dead players to touch them. But in the multiplayer co-op setting, it should work the other way around: living players have to touch them to resurrect the dead. Touching one of such structures removes a fraction of the player's maximum health and gives it to the dead player. The revived player is instantly summoned to the site of resurrection. If there are multiple dead players, one can decide who to revive.

This mechanism will prevent certain griefing behaviours and allow living players to summon the dead any time, anywhere, but only if they want to.

This would not affect the overall difficulty. People are still encouraged to stay alive. Death also hurts living players, but it hurts more if the team is reckless.

On the contrary, @Isosurface , Klei has shown that the Telltale Heart DOES, in fact, EXIST. If you had watched either one of the previous devcast streams, you would know this.

Duh.

If the shared health pool is emplemented, I'm talking about a suicidal player (Wolfgang specifically) can permanently kill everyone on a server through repeated suicide and self-resurrection. What's the point of a telltale heart if the goal is to perma-kill everyone including the troll himself. Using a telltale heart will only accelerate the process because every ressurection harms everyone, why a troll say no to this.

Duh.

If the shared health pool is emplemented, I'm talking about a suicidal player (Wolfgang specifically) can permanently kill everyone on a server through repeated suicide and self-resurrection. What's the point of a telltale heart if the goal is to perma-kill everyone including the troll himself. Using a telltale heart will only accelerate the process because every ressurection harms everyone, why a troll say no to this.

That's only if you PERMANENTLY die, I believe. You don't suffer that effect if you use a Telltale Heart on your ghostly self, or if another player gives the Telltale Heart to you.

That's only if you PERMANENTLY die, I believe. You don't suffer that effect if you use a Telltale Heart on your ghostly self, or if another player gives the Telltale Heart to you.

I believe it's time for you to watch the devcast streams yourself...

Devs are proposing the idea: every ressurrection hurts everyone.

Well, that's just the thing. I HAVE BEEN. I did not see anything along that indication. Only that the severe max health penalties went into effect if your ghost lost all his/her humanity and died completely. Telltale heart revives still work just fine. Now, if you're referring to what was shown in last thursday's stream, they were using a specially modified DST beta build where the ghost mechanic was basically gotten rid of entirely.

Now, if you managed to duplicate that, then YES, every death would eventually screw you over.

Otherwise known as "people bitching and ruining it for the rest of us"

No need to be so negative about it :(.

Klei is very responsive to feedback. If the people who think the -max health penalty is very unpleasant are even slightly numerous in the beta, I would expect to see a temporary return of ghosts so that we could test it out.

But as for the original post, I think it's an interesting idea, but in the latest revealed system, touchstones and effigies are still free resurrections. It's if there's no resurrection object that the max health penalty applies, and they resurrect anyway. So your suggestion ends up making resurrection even more unpleasant and difficult overall, since now you're also being penalized for touchstones and effigies you've found/made. Another problem is that the ghost system was scrapped because being a ghost wasn't fun. In your system, you don't even get to be a ghost, you're just stuck doing nothing until someone gets around to touching a touchstone.

Whatever is decided changed or added as additional modes, our feedback in the testing will help decide and refine what works and sticks around.

Even when the "game is officially released with DST," keep sending in your bug reports and user feedback as Klei can update or even revise it because (they are awesome and) listen to our user feedback to make their games work better for us! 

No need to be so negative about it :(.

Klei is very responsive to feedback. If the people who think the -max health penalty is very unpleasant are even slightly numerous in the beta, I would expect to see a temporary return of ghosts so that we could test it out.

But as for the original post, I think it's an interesting idea, but in the latest revealed system, touchstones and effigies are still free resurrections. It's if there's no resurrection object that the max health penalty applies, and they resurrect anyway. So your suggestion ends up making resurrection even more unpleasant and difficult overall, since now you're also being penalized for touchstones and effigies you've found/made. Another problem is that the ghost system was scrapped because being a ghost wasn't fun. In your system, you don't even get to be a ghost, you're just stuck doing nothing until someone gets around to touching a touchstone.

Yeah,well it's frustrating to see a bunch of people complain about a mechanic like the ghosts.I don't see how its "boring" when you're desperately searching for a revive point and haunting things to prolong your death,and if its not exciting enough for people,they can increase the rate at which your life force drains or something.Not take away part of your max health,that's sucking more fun out of DST then the ghost mechanic ever did.

Yeah,well it's frustrating to see a bunch of people complain about a mechanic like the ghosts.I don't see how its "boring" when you're desperately searching for a revive point and haunting things to prolong your death,and if its not exciting enough for people,they can increase the rate at which your life force drains or something.Not take away part of your max health,that's sucking more fun out of DST then the ghost mechanic ever did.

I think you missed my point. DST isn't released yet. It's not even in beta yet. Ghosts aren't 100% gone for sure. The beta will work things out, many changes will be made; the changes could definitely involve a return to ghosts.

I think you missed my point. DST isn't released yet. It's not even in beta yet. Ghosts aren't 100% gone for sure. The beta will work things out, many changes will be made; the changes could definitely involve a return to ghosts.

Yeah...yeah..I know,it just frustrates me.

The "Dying/resurrecting hurts everyone" would be a reason I wouldn't like DST. A bunch of people could set up effigies near their fort, then run into a bunch of hound mounds and kill everyone on the server. It'd also be bad, because, say, you're low on health, struggling to sprint back to your base to grab that meaty stew, and then someone resurrects, Whoops! There went you. 

I liked the idea of ghosts. I myself was laughing, in tears, when I saw the WX-78 ghost. Looking back on it, the noises I made when I saw it were not of this planet.

Archived