KEY(DST IDEA)

In DST we should have a way to protect items in chests from other players. The best solution to it is a craftable key. We could lock our chests using it and when we need to open it we have to use the key to unlock it.locked Chests can be only opened by the key that  locked it so we can keep our chests safely.What do you think about this idea? Share it with me.

That would be nice. However, unless it was a scaled chest, there is nothing to stop players from being torch happy.

True, but I guess since you can put useful but flammable items in a chest some people might not be so torch happy, if they're trolling though nothings gonna stop them then.

What if you have a crapton of chests but not enough materials to make keys for 'em all? Someone could come and loot your stuff while locking it in their own chests, or, even worse, lock your chests as their own.

You can use a one key to lock several chests. That is the solution.

I'm just going to  nuke them from orbit put bees in all my chests. It's the only way to be sure 

If putting bee mines/tooth traps in chests would have them attack the opener, we wouldn't need keys since you could stuff every third chest with traps to scare off looters.

You could craft some like this: "Jatrick's key" (for me to make)And chests would be public, but if you want a private chest you would need to make somethink like  "Jatrick's lock" and when you put it on the chest its "Jatrick's chest" If you unlock it with my key, than you get my lock. It takes a while to break, so it takes some durability from a hammer.

Just a thought.

If putting bee mines/tooth traps in chests would have them attack the opener, we wouldn't need keys since you could stuff every third chest with traps to scare off looters.

Bee mines and tooth traps could kill your friends too. So I think key is harmless and safe.

How about each one gets his own personnal key that can lock as many chests as they would like, but cannot be thrown or put away in any way, when the player dies, he drops the key, and the killer can pick it up for 10 mins, after the 10 mins the key is transformed to the owner, in those 10 mins the killer, if he can find the player's base, can loot amount of chests according to the distance between the death and the chest (for example: you have 100 points of opening things 5 distance of walking from the chest = no points (free) 4 minutes = 10 points 3 minutes = 20 points 2 minutes = 40 points 1 minute or close = only 1 chest can be opened) while the player that has stored the things in the chests will get sort of punishment if he have allot of empty chests (to prevent abuse of this mechanic^^)

How about each one gets his own personnal key that can lock as many chests as they would like, but cannot be thrown or put away in any way, when the player dies, he drops the key, and the killer can pick it up for 10 mins, after the 10 mins the key is transformed to the owner, in those 10 mins the killer, if he can find the player's base, can loot amount of chests according to the distance between the death and the chest (for example: you have 100 points of opening things 5 distance of walking from the chest = no points (free) 4 minutes = 10 points 3 minutes = 20 points 2 minutes = 40 points 1 minute or close = only 1 chest can be opened) while the player that has stored the things in the chests will get sort of punishment if he have allot of empty chests (to prevent abuse of this mechanic^^)

so, a giant overcomplicated system(which also eliminates one very important inventory space), just so I can save myself the trouble of hammering part of the chests?

You can destroyed them if needed.

And then what? Then it drops its contents or deletes them :-/ Griefing either way.

I personally favour Truthseekers idea of installing traps, because it causes unpredictability when you dare to loot somebodies base. You may or may not take twenty bees in your face, wrecking your armor or killing you otherwise.

It's also not as meta as a new protection system with a new item and new mechanics.

EDIT: Also, I'd roll on the floor laughing if I died of my own traps and someone witnessed it and tried to loot my base but died of another trap.

And then what? Then it drops its contents or deletes them :-/ Griefing either way.

I personally favour Truthseekers idea of installing traps, because it causes unpredictability when you dare to loot somebodies base. You may or may not take twenty bees in your face, wrecking your armor or killing you otherwise.

It's also not as meta as a new protection system with a new item and new mechanics.

EDIT: Also, I'd roll on the floor laughing if I died of my own traps and someone witnessed it and tried to loot my base but died of another trap.

I hadn't told you that you can died from your own traps. :joyous: .I told you that your friends could die from it.

so, a giant overcomplicated system(which also eliminates one very important inventory space), just so I can save myself the trouble of hammering part of the chests?

The whole point of the system is to help players not lose everything over one mistake/when logging off .. = chests cannot be hammered by anyone but their owner (or the server owner in case they are abusive)

The whole point of the system is to help players not lose everything over one mistake/when logging off .. = chests cannot be hammered by anyone but their owner (or the server owner in case they are abusive)

This creates 2 problems. 1)"IF I CAN'T HAVE IT, NEITHER CAN YOU"*sets fire to chests* 2)"oh, it's locked. Okay, I'll just camp around his base and wait for him to come back. once he does I'll just kill him for the key"

Not even to mention that this is a in game mechanic meant just to prevent griefing(which actually doesn't, because fire). If you want to prevent griefing just ban/kill the bloody griefers and move on. there's no reason to implement an entire system just because "people are stealing my stuff!!!". I, personally wouldn't feel any different if I stumbled upon a locked chest in my raiding trips. I would just Old Bell/hammer the ones I can, and just set fire to the rest.

YOUR LOCKS CAN'T STOP ME! MUAHAHAHA

Archived