I just want to give up, but I wont! Help me!

I have played don't starve since it was unknown by the public. it was the best game but I am so bad at it its not even funny, I want to see the end so bad and while making in the fan art there is a lot of spoilers. I want to spoil it on youtube so bad but I know I shouldn't. what do I do? I have never made it past day 30! I don't what I'm doing wrong! I have never gotten past the first piece of adventure mode, I have heard all the tips that exist, read a ton of guides and tried so many times but I cant get past Chapter 1. I don't know what to do anymore.

BTW - I refuse to use console commands or mods

DS is a game where you learn and get better by trial and error.

If you die, remember what you died by and be aware of the danger, think of possibilities to avoid danger and fix problems.

Every time you die without learning something is a wasted playthrough.

I have played don't starve since it was unknown by the public. it was the best game but I am so bad at it its not even funny, I want to see the end so bad and while making in the fan art there is a lot of spoilers. I want to spoil it on youtube so bad but I know I shouldn't. what do I do? I have never made it past day 30! I don't what I'm doing wrong! I have never gotten past the first piece of adventure mode, I have heard all the tips that exist, read a ton of guides and tried so many times but I cant get past Chapter 1. I don't know what to do anymore.

BTW - I refuse to use console commands or mods

I like to play with an organised inventory and i set goals as to what i need to do rather than wandering aimlessly. Tools and weapons left side of the bar for easy switching with the number keys, wood in my backpack if it is a piggyback or just on the right side of the inventory bar if not. Armor or clothing items i place to the left of the wood, thermal stone furthest right if required. Grass, twigs, flint, stone, eyebone, glommer flower and gold in my backpack. Misc items/ whatever i pick up just anywhere they fit in between. I also premake campfires immediately after having placed one, even fire pits, spare base structures in your inventory doesn't hurt either. Meatballs are the greatest food praise the meatball, as well as honey and jerky. Also practice.

post-219753-0-76037800-1406189999.png

post-219753-0-52436600-1406190289.png

post-219753-0-76559700-1406190869.png

Roguelikes (like Faster than Light) are a tough genre of games.

You have to get used to dying a lot and losing all your progress, and you have to really evaluate the risks and prepare a lot before doing things (especially before visiting the Ruins).

But one thing they gave us is the Meat Effigy, building one is highly recommended if you don't want to lose all your progress upon death.

Try out a bunch of different recipes, see what everything does. Little but of trial and error (but not too much error!) is always good.

Trust me, you will likely not need to look up ANYTHING to learn how to play the game. Everything you make that seems kind of useful should be useful.

And with each attempt, it will become easier and easier to get past your first couple of seasons. Great thing is, it never really becomes so easy that you don't have to try, so it really doesn't get old!

Increasing hound waves, higher and higher chance of a giant eventually spawning the longer the games goes on... its magical.

Took me a year to beat Adventure Mode - it became an obsession.  Preparation, luck, speed, knowing when to go fast and when you can afford to stop and make a base. 

I used Wilson - all the others have advantages but also disadvantages which can kill you. 

Just keep trying and learn from your mistakes.

Maybe following a strict plan to set up your base might help.

know the structures you want to make to help sustain you:

Pig houses (defend you and you can farm werepigs for meat and skin)

5 drying racks (jerkys sanity and health gain is superb)

4 improved farms (if you manage to get a dragonfruit this will help out a lot)

Birdcage (converting cooked monster meat into eggs and seed-replication)

many (15) twigs grass tufts and berry bushes.

when you have set up a base like that close to rabbit holes and beefaloes (manure) then you should be able to stay alive quite long (except when some giants come)

Hold on, are you bad at the sandbox game or the adventure mode? Cause adventure mode is a completely different story. The reason you're dying probably is because when you're being attacked you don't have atmour and you don't fight back or you fight back too much and die at the end. You also need to stack up in healing items to get your health back up. And most importantly, Don't starve.

My suggestion for getting past Adventure Mode: run.  Never fight anything unless it's absolutely necessary, don't stop and build a base, just keep going until you're on the next chapter.  And then do the same again.

Play as Wx-78, eat up to 15 gears, 1 a day as food or in case of emergency. The total boost to your stats will be easier. Also, it heals hunger, health and sanity (even after maximally upgraded,) so is a cure-all food.

I don't endorse "easy mode" but if you need the help.

(Oh, and the worst first world in Adventure Mode for this character is "A Cold Reception.")

The rains and lightning Strikes can decimate you on the first day. Use flowers/a garland but still pick flowers after the strikes until you can build a basic base to make things like a backpack, spear, log suit hammer (to break down the science machine if doing it as an emergency) and umbrella (if you can, the parasol can work a little but it degrades too quickly.)

Feeding a pig 4 monster meat were-pigs them and if you can kill them (or let the frogs do it) that's a guaranteed 2 meat 1 pigskin. Or just find the touchstone and hammer it.     

Here are a couple of general tips:

1)  Make an organized stash with a place for everything.  This will require lots of wood and a lightning rod to protect it.

2)  Keep your inventory open.  Stash all pinecones, gems, spider webs, ashes, gold, etc the first second you can.  Every time you return to base stash everything you can.  Not being able to pick stuff up when you want to really slows down your game and makes you inefficient.  If you have too much stuff create a chest by the road and dump it until later.

3)  Break the day into sections Light, Dusk, Dark.  Always plan ahead to the next day section.  At night know what you will be doing in the morning, at dusk plan what you will do at night.

4)  Carelessness will kill you every time.  Keep the following priorities in your mind Listed from MOST to LEAST important. There are almost no exceptions to this.

a) Light: Do I have enough light for this time of day and the next one (at least 2 torches if it’s dusk and you’re out of your base)

b) Food: Do I have enough food for this time of day and the next one

c) Health:  My health must be 100%.  How can I get it as close to 100% without leaving my base.  If your health is less than 100% you must wear log armor and/or a football helmet if leaving your base no exceptions.

d) heat/cold

NOTE:  DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BASE UNTIL (a) (b) and © and (d) are taken care of

e) Sanity: Pick Flowers, Chop trees with Pigs, Stand near sleeping pigs. 

f) Prep for Next Season:  Your main priority once you are safe and have left your base is to prep for next season.  It will make everything else easier.  Don’t do much until you have the equipment and supplies you will need for next season.

g) explore the edges of the map.  Plop a sign near anything you want to come back to such as beefalos or molehills or treeguards.  Hammer all pig houses.

h) stockpile Stone, Wood, and Sticks.

i) gather spider webs.  Move spider nests closer to your home (but not too close!).  Always have 1 trap set for every level of spider nest, and lure spiders into traps don’t hit them.

j)  Pig Houses near your base.  Keep increasing the number of pig houses.  They are a convenient army.

k) build a meat effigy.  Use pigs to bring you back to sanity afterward.

Once you have done these things you are safe as houses and can take on all the challenges in the game without dying.  Nearly everything is easier with an army of pigs at your back.

Oh, Ham Bats are great, but plan on making them when you need them, since they degrade over time and so does their efficiency. 

It took me about 8 months worth of RL playing to finish AM (and at this posting, I have not yet found Wes.) Obviously, it's not something I like to admit, but everybody has their styles and some of us need more precautions than others.  

Archived