Wickerbottom, the crafting slave? ;_;

Now, normally I'm not a Wickerbottom fan, but I realized that some DST comps will always use Wickerbottom for her ability to make crafting recipes without a Alchemy Engine.

This could create a situation where a Wickerbottom player would be expected to make EVERYTHING for her/his team, and the other members would never learn the recipes themselves.

You could say that the team should just make a Alchemy Engine so everyone could learn, and all is fair. But then you are just ignoring one of her vital perks.

So, should other team members have a way of sharing crafting recipes? Maybe Ms Wickerbottom can create blueprints when crafting a new item?

Or maybe theres another way? Post in dah comments?

Now, normally I'm not a Wickerbottom fan, but I realized that some DST comps will always use Wickerbottom for her ability to make crafting recipes without a Alchemy Engine.

This could create a situation where a Wickerbottom player would be expected to make EVERYTHING for her/his team, and the other members would never learn the recipes themselves.

You could say that the team should just make a Alchemy Engine so everyone could learn, and all is fair. But then you are just ignoring one of her vital perks.

So, should other team members have a way of sharing crafting recipes? Maybe Ms Wickerbottom can create blueprints when crafting a new item?

You're right! I hate being used!

Well, the player could use Wickerbottom, but eventually the person would have to build an alchemy engine for the crafting.  If Wickerbottom was logged off or dead, they would have to learn to craft things.  It would just be better for the other players to craft certain objects.  I don't think that players should share crafting recipes. 

Yeah I can see that happening, and really? other then the person playing her maybe getting bored I cant really see a downside.

I mean if you feel you need to learn a recipe, you will and after awhile you'll have all the crafting machines anyway.

Well, the player could use Wickerbottom, but eventually the person would have to build an alchemy engine for the crafting.  If Wickerbottom was logged off or dead, they would have to learn to craft things.  It would just be better for the other players to craft certain objects.  I don't think that players should share crafting recipes. 

Yeah I can see that happening, and really? other then the person playing her maybe getting bored I cant really see a downside.

I mean if you feel you need to learn a recipe, you will and after awhile you'll have all the crafting machines anyway.

But Wickerbottom is already a debatably useful character, so it shouldn't feel like you've lost a large portion of your usefulness because your team uses a few more of your resources to make an Alchemy Engine.

Maybe another perk is in store, perhaps what I suggested about the crafting blueprints.

Maybe its not my place to say if Wickerbottom players will feel less useful, but these are just my speculations.

Its like if everyone could make an Axe that chops as fast as Lucy, I would feel a little sad as a Woodie player :C

But Wickerbottom is already a debatably useful character, so it shouldn't feel like you've lost a large portion of your usefulness because your team uses a few more of your resources to make an Alchemy Engine.

Maybe another perk is in store, perhaps what I suggested about the crafting blueprints.

Maybe its not my place to say if Wickerbottom players will feel less useful, but these are just my speculations.

Its like if everyone could make an Axe that chops as fast as Lucy, I would feel a little sad as a Woodie player :C

Yeah and thats why her perks only really good at the beginning of the game, shes sort of like this in SP too. I think that's why they added her own crafting tab.

But because of her downsides I can see her only being useful in the beginning of MP, but then after that shes a bad character, she cant sleep and her picky eating outweigh her own crafting tab.

She'd need something else to become viable for long games, like more books or a sanity aura or just something.

This specific perk encourages teamwork, so earlier on you can share resources and the like to make more advanced gear without the science machine or alchemy engine. However, later on, for sake of efficiency and being able to move about on your own, you'd need to prototype the gear yourself. No real problem here, at least from what I can see.

But because of her downsides I can see her only being useful in the beginning of MP, but then after that shes a bad character, she cant sleep and her picky eating outweigh her own crafting tab.

Problems without sleeping? Problems with hunger and food? Really?

Yeah and thats why her perks only really good at the beginning of the game, shes sort of like this in SP too. I think that's why they added her own crafting tab.

She'd need something else to become viable for long games, like more books or a sanity aura or just something.

dudebrodudebro, you gotta think late game maaaaan

when you've got everything you want and you want something fast, wicker's your girl

she can like whip up some reeds from a reed trap in a second

or like start up yo wx with lightning so he can zip around and glow on things

or like blowdarts with all the birds?????? idk????????

forreal wicker's got late game potential, she grow tha crops ya feel me, like we are farmers but without the we and with tons of wickerbooty :)

dudebrodudebro, you gotta think late game maaaaan

when you've got everything you want and you want something fast, wicker's your girl

she can like whip up some reeds from a reed trap in a second

or like start up yo wx with lightning so he can zip around and glow on things

or like blowdarts with all the birds?????? idk????????

forreal wicker's got late game potential, she grow tha crops ya feel me, like we are farmers but without the we and with tons of wickerbooty :-)

Still doesnt seem that great to me, considering a late game WX is literally a tower of power, late game Maxwell is your go to magic user ( i mean think of all the nightmare fuel you'd have at that point, pair that with a guy who can make instant followers and you have an unstoppable army) . And then the rest of the characters? Ehhhhh...... In SP its ok because it at your own pace and the character doesnt have to contend with anyone else. But Wendy? Compared to Maxwell? Maxwell would be better because he can have more then one follower whenever he pleases as long as he has the fuel. Even Wilson with his no downsides and beard falls flat because its up against say woodie and his perks

All the characters are balanced against themselves, not others, which is a problem when sticking them in MP because they automatically are placed against each other.

Thats why that character tier thread bugged me, because the characters do have a pecking order, and it does encourage for certain characters to be played over others. And I dont want that.

Still doesnt seem that great to me, considering a late game WX is literally a tower of power, late game Maxwell is your go to magic user ( i mean think of all the nightmare fuel you'd have at that point, pair that with a guy who can make instant followers and you have an unstoppable army) . And then the rest of the characters? Ehhhhh...... In SP its ok because it at your own pace and the character doesnt have to contend with anyone else. But Wendy? Compared to Maxwell? Maxwell would be better because he can have more then one follower whenever he pleases as long as he has the fuel. Even Wilson with his no downsides and beard falls flat because its up against say woodie and his perks

All the characters are balanced against themselves, not others, which is a problem when sticking them in MP because they automatically are placed against each other.

Thats why that character tier thread bugged me, because the characters do have a pecking order, and it does encourage for certain characters to be played over others. And I dont want that.

This is exactly what im talking about with Wickerbottom. In your first post, you said that the only downside to Wick would be her players getting bored, and that is something I would like to see avoided.

I guess that's all one of the problems with Multi-player, sure, maybe the character you have the most fun with is Wendy, or Wickerbottom, but by playing these characters, are you being more or less useful to the rest of your team? It would be a shame if someone went into a game, saw a character they didn't like, or thought was 'lower tier' and left.

Wendy is something I can't comment to deeply on though, I really haven't played her :s

She might be a crafting slave, she might not. On the bright side, if the other players are tasked with fetching resources while Wickerbottom is on crafting, wouldn't getting a base set up faster be a good thing? Maybe the blueprint craft will be added as an alternate outcome with materials + certain amount of papyrus. Give the woman the materials and she'll teach you.

She's strong in early game since she can get a quick Science/Alchemy, and she's strong late game since she can farm Morsels, Feathers, Nightmare Fuel and Krampus Sacks all at once (Birds -> Sleep -> Ham Bat) in addition to having a renewable Pan Flute. It's likely that she'll be the sole base builder at first, but eventually the real Alchemy Engine will be placed for other players to prototype important items that need to be made on the fly (weapons, armor, hats, etc.)

Wickerbottom has her cons, but IMO she's plenty viable and certainly in the Top 5 characters.

It is one of those things that you can use but you should not rely on, much like how I completely ignore carrots in the overworld, I don't want to dependent on something that is not consistently available.

It is one of those things that you can use but you should not rely on, much like how I completely ignore carrots in the overworld, I don't want to dependent on something that is not consistently available.

Agreed, though as a bunnyman you might be biased XD

I like Wickerbottom. Early game she would be useful for crafting backpacks for the team, who can then collect a much greater amount of supplies. Then she can be given any supplies needed to craft a good base fast by making a science machine and having access to all the nonmagic/book recipes. A large advanced farm and bee farm could be made much earlier in the game which will be a huge help before Winter comes. Even when the late game comes she can still be very useful for a teams food with her books. And with four mouths to feed, that can be appreciated. I'd be willing to play as Wickerbottom with a group of friends, I like playing as support characters anyways. Plus I can be almost a team manager "Hey, I need some silk to craft some bugnets and fishing rods." and the Wigfrids and Wolfgangs can go fetch.

Wickerbottom really only gets the ability to make science machine items without a science machine (and no 15 sanity for prototypes.) With the redoing of ingredients (mostly from the Alchemy Machine and up items including Magic) it's just not cost effective without having those said machines built anyway.  And if you want to take advantage of her higher book magics, you'd still need to build an Alchemy machine.   

I personally saw WB as a primary crafting (compared to fighting and major exploring first) character almost needed due to her non sleep and limited food consumption (now more since it rots on the crock pots/drying racks/trapped animals die if not fed.) 

As noted in other posts, her "benefits" for crafting aren't that hot even at start game, but her consistent crafting ability combined with her book summoning make her the go to crafting person later assuming her sanity is kept up. 

Just an update, I have been playing as Wickerbottom in Reign of Giants and I'm currently on day 148 in my 3rd Autumn. All my other games I died in Spring or Summer. I can easily survive Autumn and Winter. This is the first time I have made it this far since I played DS vanilla version. But now I've made it through 2 Summers(my most difficult season). I now have an Eyebrella, Hibearnation Vest, and a Scaled Chest. I also killed a M/Moose but only got four feathers and I think I killed it before the egg appeared because I couldn't find it. My point is I really like the early game crafting advantages because they allowed me to get a really good start which allowed me to be more prepared for Spring and Summer.

I suppose I'm the only one here who enjoys organization enough to actually not mind playing Wickerbottom and managing all the chests (without labels this would be very Necessary!) and all the tools people would need and all the crafting and all the buildings and catching/acquiring things for more crafting, cooking the food - taking care of everybody through organizational means while they go out and do the work. Would I be their slave? Or would they be MY slaves? Especially at the beginning.

While it may make me reliant on them partially, I can tend to the farms whenever they sprout and basically endlessly stack wood from tree farms/kill Treeguards while everyone goes out and does stuff. Everyone has a role - and I feel like playing Wickerbottom to her role may not be a bad idea. All I need would be that book that lets you boost food production and a couple beefalo - I'd have fun no matter what just supporting the team.

Although her core perks may seem bad compared to her benefits, If people help my sanity stay up by giving me flowers for garlands or sparing me honeycombs and stuff to build bee boxes (Honey = Taffy, Taffy = Happy Wickerbottom) I'm really just another body to the team with average fighting stats, who at the beginning is extremely useful - and can make amazing spell-books later! I'd be happy being the farmer!

I don't know what to give her to balance this! I'm sorry I can't help you OgreCakes I'm really thinking hard!

(This kind of makes me laugh since Wickerbottom can hit just as hard as Wilson and Woodie, whilst still being so pretty for her age!)

(This kind of makes me laugh since Wickerbottom can hit just as hard as Wilson and Woodie, whilst still being so pretty for her age!)

That makes me think, how old IS she anyway? I can't tell if around 30, or in her fifties. She got a very ageless face I guess^^

Archived