What I want to ask is why does it matter? It's impossible to use an item to set yourself on fire unless there is fire around you. When there is fire around you, your problem is solved! It sounds like useless coding to me. And the torch thing, a torch isn't that hot unless you are touching it. Sure, I guess it'd slow down freezing, but the game is right. A torch shouldn't, and doesn't, reverse freezing.

But I still literally froze to death. Feeling cold can't make you freeze to death.

Actually, it can. I read the story of a man, stuck in the fridge room of a boat, that froze to death. But when the captain came to the said room, and saw the corpse, he went to look at the temperature inside the room. It was about 20° C...

Actually, it can. I read the story of a man, stuck in the fridge room of a boat, that froze to death. But when the captain came to the said room, and saw the corpse, he went to look at the temperature inside the room. It was about 20° C...

That's just an urban legend.

I don't know. My point is that mental can influence physic.

No, no it cannot. Telekinesis and ESP are both falsities, and thinking your cold can't freeze a person. Now, if there's an intense heat that makes them think they're cold, they can die from the intense heat.

How exactly can you be freezing while you are on fire?!? That is ridiculous! Another thing, the torch? It does NOTHING to circumvent freezing at all. It's a TORCH! Fire hot, not cold! Am I speaking simple enough for you? Winter is just ridiculous. And another thing, you don't start freezing to death several minutes into winter. At least not in broad daylight! And if Woodie is "plaid warm, even when wet" then how exactly does he NOT have any resistance to cold?!?

And people called me raging :|

No, no it cannot. Telekinesis and ESP are both falsities, and thinking your cold can't freeze a person. Now, if there's an intense heat that makes them think they're cold, they can die from the intense heat.

This is going nowhere. I won't admit you're right and you won't admit I am.

Ever heard of white-coat syndrome or when people panic when they self-diagnose on the internet?

Not as extreme, but yeah.

I agree that you should gain heat from being ablaze, but meh. It's likely you'd die from the fire instead of the cold, then.

... But you *are* right.

After wandering around in the cold for x amount of hours, I dont think actually being on fire would raise your core temperature much faster than standing right next to a burning tree. Does an ice block melt much when your douse it in a few seconds of gasoline and burn it off? only a little around the outside, its still ice underneath, better to leave it beside a good fire

besides from a gameplay perspective it would make the dramatic "gotta find fire moments" less so, you could set flowers or other insignificant combustibles on fire and walk around naked (albeit with the fire damage)

just get a heat stone and better clothes next time OP

In case you still care, the torch actually does provide a measure of heat, just not enough to prevent you from freezing. 

Unless you have a Beefalo Hat + Puffy Vest/Hibearnation Vest, in which case carrying around lit torches actually will provide you with enough insulated heat to survive indefinitely.

But if you have a torch equipped, it will increase the amount of time it takes to actually freeze proportional to the amount of insulated gear your are wearing. Not really resource-efficient to do it that way, though. Travelling long distances is better reserved for spring and fall.

Freezing while on fire, or freezing in a summer so hot that objects randomly burst into flame, is pretty questionable.

I froze to death during summer by eating too much ice...I was on low health and thought "I'll just eat a bunch of ice, what's the worst that can happen..."

Some of the responses here are down-right prejudice and bigoted. The torch should give a tiny bit of heat, and alight trees also give more heat than the winter can offset (the colder it is, the faster the fire goes out, too).

Someone should mod the torch thing. If it hasn't already been done, I might do it.

I'm still disgraced with some of you. Talk about a latently-hostile defence and a mob mentality

I don't know, I survived my first winter with relative ease. Of course Summer is what ultimately did me in. I started overheating even in the middle of the night.. and it didn't stop even after I dropped into a cave. :l

It's been a long time in game that the torch gives you at most a few seconds. However, unless you're taking fire damage from literally standing inside of a heat source, it's a moot point why you are dying from hypothermia as the outside of your body heats up. you need to warm up the inside. 

How exactly can you be freezing while you are on fire?!? That is ridiculous! Another thing, the torch? It does NOTHING to circumvent freezing at all. It's a TORCH! Fire hot, not cold! Am I speaking simple enough for you? Winter is just ridiculous. And another thing, you don't start freezing to death several minutes into winter. At least not in broad daylight! And if Woodie is "plaid warm, even when wet" then how exactly does he NOT have any resistance to cold?!?

Freezing to death while being on fire can happen in real life. You'll be slowly dying before quickly dying as your body melts under the 900 degree celsius heat. Take your pick, if the fire is put out you'll still be freezing to death - just singed on the part that's now extremely vulnerable to the effects of cold due to loss of the skin and possibly muscle. Gruesome.

A torch is not enough to keep a human being warm in the dead of winter. It would certainly help, but it is definately not enough for Wilson in standard clothes. A dress shirt, suit-vest and black pants would not be proper insulation for weather that can chill your core body temperature to below 0 degrees celsius. In real life even sitting next to a campfire wrapped in blankets is sometimes STILL not enough to save you from death to the cold.

If you want to do better in Winter, always carry with you: insulated clothing, Logs, Grass, and do not shave Wilsons beard. It gets alot easier that way. Be sure to prepare for winter before it turns by making said insulating clothing. (Such as, Rabbit earmuffs, Winter Hat (My favorite), Puffy or Breezy Vest and THERMAL STONES, I always carry 2!) and always always always having a tree farm near your base for spare firewood! Having a grass farm before winter also helps to make campfires in far off places away from your base.

Actually that is not true, in broad daylight during winter temperatures can reach as low as -40 degrees celsius. Without insulation a human being dies within 15 minutes at 0 degrees celsius. Imagine how fast you'd die in cold as intense as -40?

If we want realism in Don't Starve, lets see how fast it would take you to die from freezing according to Don't Starves time-scale.

1 day in Don't Starve = 8 Real minutes

24 hours = 8 Real minutes

3 hours = 1 Real minute

1 hour = 0.33 minutes

15 minutes = 0.0825 minutes

That's 4.95 seconds. You would literally be dead in under 5 seconds if Don't Starve had realistic freezing mechanics. Doing a test you die in around 2 real minutes with no gear freezing straight from max health to dead (Playing as Wilson). As aforementioned, 3 hours in don't starve is 1 minute in real life. That means Wilson can go for 6 HOURS before dying to the cold. Realistic. Especially when you freeze even lower than 0 degrees if you let your character sit there, meaning you would die even faster.

Woody's beard may not be a beard, according to Klei. I read this on the wiki. There has to be a reason he never shaves aside from being a lumberjack. My theory is it's made of cheese whiz. (Yum) Perhaps he just sucks at growing hair. (Which Wilson excels at.)

If you don't like Winter, there are ways to make it easier. Look up help for winter, or perhaps ask for help instead of saying winter is ridiculous and certain things within it are inconsistent. It seems to have solid mechanics to me.

If you really don't like winter, you can always turn it off in your options when making another world. Please try not to be so confrontational in how you speak as you may provoke others in the community to do something they will regret in the future. We should all be able to respect and speak with each-other in a calm manner here on the forums. We are here because of what we love, not because of what we hate.

Can we all understand that? :wickerbottomthanks:

All in all, nicely posted in regards to hypothermia. In regards to the below:

Woody's beard may not be a beard, according to Klei. I read this on the wiki. There has to be a reason he never shaves aside from being a lumberjack. My theory is it's made of cheese whiz. (Yum) Perhaps he just sucks at growing hair. (Which Wilson excels at.)

The answer is quite simple. It relates to his (terrible) secret! I'd give you more hints about what kind of "hair" it is (and it isn't human or cheese,) but I don't simply want to pelt you with the answer now, do I? :-)

All in all, nicely posted in regards to hypothermia. In regards to the below:

The answer is quite simple. It relates to his (terrible) secret! I'd give you more hints about what kind of "hair" it is (and it isn't human or cheese,) but I don't simply want to pelt you with the answer now, do I? :-)

"but I don't simply want to "pelt" you with the answer now, do I?"  This made me snicker.

I have played as woody, and you're right; the were-beavers fur and his man-fur are quite similar.

I suppose a matte of beaver fur over your face would not help much in the dead of winter - maybe a small insulation factor, however nothing comparable to Wilsons Face-monster of a beard. Thank you for the clarification. Could you actually pelt me over the head with the answer?

Is it really beaver fur? I want to make sure.

Archived