How exactly can you be freezing while you are on fire?!? That is ridiculous! Another thing, the torch? It does NOTHING to circumvent freezing at all. It's a TORCH! Fire hot, not cold! Am I speaking simple enough for you? Winter is just ridiculous. And another thing, you don't start freezing to death several minutes into winter. At least not in broad daylight! And if Woodie is "plaid warm, even when wet" then how exactly does he NOT have any resistance to cold?!?

I wonder how many more times someone will criticize game logic? I mean, what, ain't you get tired of it eventually? Its a game. Its plays in a fantasy world with its own laws, no matter how absurd they are. So it'll be as close to reality as devs will want it to be. If you want working laws of nature and physics - just stay out of games for god sake

I wonder how many more times someone will criticize game logic? I mean, what, ain't you get tired of it eventually? Its a game. Its plays in a fantasy world with its own laws, no matter how absurd they are. So it'll be as close to reality as devs will want it to be. If you want working laws of nature and physics - just stay out of games for god sake

That's the thing though. They were trying to make the game at least somewhat realistic when they added seasons.

That's the thing though. They were trying to make the game at least somewhat realistic when they added seasons.

Ā 

"Somewhat" is the keyword. It'll never be realistic with all those dark pseudomagical tools, monsters and all. So if you can set enemies on fire with a wave of some stick with a ruby on its end, why can't you freeze while burning? DS will always be a paradox, no matter how many times they'll try to make it more realistic.

How exactly can you be freezing while you are on fire?!? That is ridiculous! Another thing, the torch? It does NOTHING to circumvent freezing at all. It's a TORCH! Fire hot, not cold! Am I speaking simple enough for you? Winter is just ridiculous. And another thing, you don't start freezing to death several minutes into winter. At least not in broad daylight! And if Woodie is "plaid warm, even when wet" then how exactly does he NOT have any resistance to cold?!?

Ā 

Ā 

Did you die and lose your world? I think someone's just a little heart broken.

Ā 

*Me comforting you*

giphy.gif

Ā 

I take it you've never been to Siberia? Take a look at the record highs for winter in Oymyakon. That's the RECORD BREAKING HIGH TEMPERATURE. Absolutely possible to freeze to death even while on fire in the middle of the day.

Ā 

But Don't Starve isn't the real world. It's a video game world with ancient shadow creatures pulling in unsuspecting victims and creating cyclops-deer hybrid monsters. Suspend your disbelief.

It is a game that is not supposed to be realistic. Ā There are giant deer cyclops, fire breathing dragonflies and humanoid pigmen. Ā Having a torch is not going to stop freezing even in real life. Ā It would just be pointless to add a resistance. The seasons are over exaggerated,Ā (an example)Ā  in a area with normal rain everything would not catch on fire in the summer.

....I actually agree that someone shouldn't be able to freeze when on fire?? And that torches should provide some heat? For the longest time now I actually thought they did that already D:

Ā 

The only person the fire thing shouldnt apply to is willow although I doubt people really light themselves up when playing as her anyway

....I actually agree that someone shouldn't be able to freeze when on fire?? And that torches should provide some heat? For the longest time now I actually thought they did that already D:

Ā 

The only person the fire thing shouldnt apply to is willow although I doubt people really light themselves up when playing as her anyway

Most likely it's balance.

How exactly can you be freezing while you are on fire?!? That is ridiculous!

I want to know why you were on fire? I have a strong feeling you weren't playing as Willow. Were you testing if you would stop freezing while alight?

Out of all the ways to keep warm, setting myself on fire to do so, is not something I would consider as "1st line treatment" in real life. So I would presume using that logic (common sense) Klei didn't want to implement a mechanic which caused your body temperature to stop falling and rise when set on fire when freezing.

That is why Don't Starve is realistic!

*happy now*

Games are generally not what you would call "realistic".

But they should at least attempt to follow the internal logic of the game itself.

For example, if you were exploring a world in Don't Starve, and suddenly you found a populated city full of friendly people, and just settled down there without having to worry about survival, that would contradict the game's own internal logic.

Freezing while on fire, or freezing in a summer so hot that objects randomly burst into flame, is pretty questionable.

Anyway, in the end... it's the Gods of the DS universe ("them", or more specifically the developers) who will have the final say. Maybe such strange things really are an intended aspect of the DS universe.

I want to know why you were on fire? I have a strong feeling you weren't playing as Willow. Were you testing if you would stop freezing while alight?

Out of all the ways to keep warm, setting myself on fire to do so, is not something I would consider as "1st line treatment" in real life. So I would presume using that logic (common sense) Klei didn't want to implement a mechanic which caused your body temperature to stop falling and rise when set on fire when freezing.

That is why Don't Starve is realistic!

*happy now*

Actually, I set a nearby tree on fire with my torch because for some reason that keeps you warm, but actually being on fire doesn't.

Actually, I set a nearby tree on fire with my torch because for some reason that keeps you warm, but actually being on fire doesn't.

From a gaming point of view Klei probably didn't add this in on purpose. Why would setting yourself on fire to keep warm yet take damage, seem appealing?

It's a pointless mechanic in my opinion. How much can you burn to keep yourself being set on fire and noticing any effect on warming? Don't you think if this was added Willow could exploit it?

From a gaming point of view Klei probably didn't add this in on purpose. Why would setting yourself on fire to keep warm yet take damage, seem appealing?

It's a pointless mechanic in my opinion. How much can you burn to keep yourself being set on fire and noticing any effect on warming? Don't you think if this was added Willow could exploit it?

Willow can set things around her on fire as well, which actually does warm people up.

Willow can set things around her on fire as well, which actually does warm people up.

But you're taking about physically being set on fire causing warmth? I guess it could work, but I don't see the point as there are other ways of staying warm without taking damage.

But you're taking about physically being set on fire causing warmth? I guess it could work, but I don't see the point as there are other ways of staying warm without taking damage.

The point is, I died of freezing while on fire. Fire can be put out. Freezing cannot be.

Archived