New map generator, possibly.

I made a new map and realized that it was more compact then the other maps I've played on, so I made a second to see if it was a coincidence or if there is a new map generator. Below are my 2 maps made one after the other, I'll be gone for the next 6 hours, so I can't test it further but I'll make more maps when I get back. Maybe some other people can post maps they've generated after the update for comparison.

post-4776-1376458957542_thumb.jpg

post-4776-13764589575797_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hal9666

No, you could get one of those smaller maps before. I played 160 days on one, I loved it. I set up in the center, everything was close, I even got lots of tombstones and bird eggs. Swamp only at one side, so I didn't have to cross. It was perfect to play, nice to test out new features, too bad I gave it up... Because now I hate those maps, where you have to travel two days to get somewhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you could get one of those smaller maps before. I played 160 days on one, I loved it. I set up in the center, everything was close, I even got lots of tombstones and bird eggs. Swamp only at one side, so I didn't have to cross. It was perfect to play, nice to test out new features, too bad I gave it up... Because now I hate those maps, where you have to travel two days to get somewhere else.

I just saw the official update notes, and it seems that there isn't a new map generator. I guess I just had odd luck with those first two maps, but since I've already made a fair amount of progress on my research, I'll finish and post the results. I guess not having a bunch of pre-update maps saved made it hard to compare, so in the future I can compare to the maps I'll be posting here. When there really is a map generator update, I'll be able to clearly demonstrate the changes.

I just saw the official update notes, and it seems that there isn't a new map generator.

World Generation has changed:

Max world size changed from 1024x1024 to 256x256.

Islands are more compact, with bridges being less common.

The Map is now coloured according to biomes etc...

here are the full patch notes: http://dontstarvewiki.net/index.php/Version_History

World Generation has changed:

Max world size changed from 1024x1024 to 256x256.

Islands are more compact, with bridges being less common.

The Map is now coloured according to biomes etc...

here are the full patch notes: http://dontstarvewiki.net/index.php/Version_History

That's just one of the unofficial wikis, and not even the largest one. I don't know where they got that information. I've generated a few maps now, and they don't seem to be 1/16 the size. I've also generated a few maps with loads of bridges. I've even generated a map with no islands touching. The only pattern I've noticed so far is the islands appear to be more connected, i.e. there are more islands connected to 3 or 4 islands then there used to be. I can't even really confirm that though because I don't have maps saved from before the update.

After generating and revealing the borders of 12 maps, I've determined that at most they've made it more likely that the islands will be closer together and more connected. I can't say for sure that anything has changed because I don't have a dozen pre-update maps for comparison. There is a distinct possibility that there haven't been any changes to the map generator. If there have been changes, they are subtle. I've had fun exploring the maps though, so I may keep exploring maps, to get a good sense of how the current map generator works, so that in the future changes will be easier to recognize. I've posted the maps below.

Maps.jpg

• Like 1

I've tried 3 different maps so far for a a minimum of 50 days on each and all I got was 9 & 12 style maps. I would KILL to get one like 10 omg !!! If I knew it was possible I'd just keep restarting untill I'd get that... If I wasn't so advanced in my current game I'd start over...