Birdcage [Here we go again!]

if you think it's too overpowered you could always just... wait for it... not use it.

This is like the developer of a game saying "Oh, by the way, getting into cars causes a game-breaking bug, but we won't bother patching it, just don't use the cars". If something is an exploit/bug, which this is, it should be patched. Not to mention that this bug has existed since (if memory serves), the 'A Little Rain must Fall' update, which was released in March 2013, (again, if memory serves).

This is like the developer of a game saying "Oh, by the way, getting into cars causes a game-breaking bug, but we won't bother patching it, just don't use the cars". If something is an exploit/bug, which this is, it should be patched.

Not really. It's more like saying "if you dont like adjusting the seat for a better driving position because you think it makes driving too easy, then simply dont adjust the seat, the choice is yours"

This is not a bug or an exploit.

Not really. It's more like saying "if you dont like adjusting the seat for a better driving position because you think it makes driving too easy, then simply dont adjust the seat, the choice is yours"

This is not a bug or an exploit.

Your example shows a situation whereby the 'exploit' is only beneficial in that particular players opinion. Turning spoiled seeds into fresh ones is a win-win situation, meaning it is an exploit. And being able to swap Monster Meat 1 for 1 with Eggs means you can make Meatballs instead of Monster Lasagna, another win-win, as Meatballs are better. This, unlike the example you gave, is fact, not opinion.

Like many have said before, not starving in this game is really one of your least worries, It'd be hard to nerf the birdcage while still making it a decently viable foodsource, the way I see it, it's either OP or useless

as far as exploits in video games go, i use the following definition:

In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

I wouldnt argue that your example isnt a win win situation but you've done nothing to convince me that it's a bug or an exploit.

Way i see it, theres no problem with birdcages.. the problem is unimaginative players who see the title of the game and think that means theyve beaten it once they manage to get themselves a steady supply of one of the worst crockpot recipes in the game.

as far as exploits in video games go, i use the following definition:

In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

I wouldnt argue that your example isnt a win win situation but you've done nothing to convince me that it's a bug or an exploit.

Way i see it, theres no problem with birdcages.. the problem is unimaginative players who see the title of the game and think that means theyve beaten it once they manage to get themselves a steady supply of one of the worst crockpot recipes in the game.

Sure, something that eliminates need of using other food giving structures, sure its intended, anyway removing the egg spam and seed refresh wont make you starve in any way, it will just fix broken item and bring more balance to the game.

And now you trying to insult me?

And really you can only make meat balls? You can make any other thing just change egg number and add other thing, but still with birdcage and monster meat you only need to fill 2 remaining slots instead of 3 or 4.

Sure, something that eliminates need of using other food giving structures, sure its intended, anyway removing the egg spam and seed refresh wont make you starve in any way, it will just fix broken item and bring more balance to the game.

And now you trying to insult me?

if "eliminating need of using other food giving structures" is an issue then why only complain about the birdcage? why not the beebox? You dont even need crockpots when you have beeboxes.

No, i'm not trying to insult you. If i was, i would leave no doubt in your mind that i was insulting you.

Are people really content to live off meatballs?

if "eliminating need of using other food giving structures" is an issue then why only complain about the birdcage? why not the beebox? You dont even need crockpots when you have beeboxes.

No, i'm not trying to insult you. If i was, i would leave no doubt in your mind that i was insulting you.

Are people really content to live off meatballs?

Meatballs are all day food source unless you need healing then you make honey ham, and also you can make bacon and eggs with birdcages, that last longer and heals more.

Bee Boxes is other old problem, but I'm focusing on birdcages here.

Meatballs are all day food source unless you need healing then you make honey ham, and also you can make bacon and eggs with birdcages, that last longer and heals more.

i know what you can make. But from what i've seen, this thread has people whining cos they can make meatballs easily by swapping monster meat for eggs. I've not seen anyone complain about bacon and eggs. Nor about making meatballs with ice instead of eggs for some reason, even though it's actually easier.

If, as you say, you'd make honey ham when you need healing, then the birdcage doesnt eliminate the need for other food structures as you've previously argued.

Bee Boxes is other old problem, but I'm focusing on birdcages here.

I just dont think it's a problem. You sort your food out early game, and wether you choose to farm dragonfruit, or make a ton of beeboxes, or live off meatballs or whatever YOU decide to do food will become a non-issue very quickly.

If you argue that food is too easy to come by in general then i might be inclined to agree, but to argue that one easy source of (poor quality) food breaks the game when theres a dozen or so more easy sources of food.. well that i cant agree with. If you nerf birdcages it wont suddenly make staying fed difficult.

i know what you can make. But from what i've seen, this thread has people whining cos they can make meatballs easily by swapping monster meat for eggs. I've not seen anyone complain about bacon and eggs. Nor about making meatballs with ice instead of eggs for some reason, even though it's actually easier.

If, as you say, you'd make honey ham when you need healing, then the birdcage doesnt eliminate the need for other food structures as you've previously argued.

You can live on meatballs and use other healing items, healing slave comes to mind so you don't need any other food giving structure.

You will get part of it from your spider farms to make eggs.

You can live on meatballs and use other healing items, healing slave comes to mind so you don't need any other food giving structure.

yes you can. If you choose to, you can. But noone is forcing you to.

Tbh i am always trying to get a birdcage early as a food supply. I don't think this is cheating since i still find myself farming for food every 4-5 days in the game. If the bird cage wasn't in the game hell i'd find a different food source which is just as easy. For example hound waves are so freaking easy that i could build my base in a savannah with lots of rabbit holes. Or nearby of some ponds and gather fish at night.

Getting food is simply easy as hell in this game once you have a basic base with let's say a fire pit, a science machine and a crock pot.

Also without the birdcage this would just mean that i have to waste more time on gathering food instead i could use that time to explore the map or fight mobs.

The fact that food spoils now when it has been cooked in the crock pot already makes me waste more time on food gathering. If you want balancing in this game, then you have to balance the whole game and not just 1 item. Why would i care for the birdcage when i am playing as wigfrid? Or as webber? I could just eat the monster meat and as wigfrid slay some more spiders.

I don't know if it is broken , OP or whatever. The thing is, using the birdcage is not interesting. It doesn't add or contribute anything interesting to the game. It doesn't add any fun mechanics or humor too.

If you know how to tame spiders and basic kiting, you will have near infinite eggs. Adding a maximum limit to birdcage(like a feedmeter similar to flingomatics) and/or removing monster meat entirely from the list of birdcage allowed foods will make the game more challenging/interesting. Obtaining monster meat is many more times easier and free of charge than any other kind of meat. 

I'll use it because I like to experience standard DS game but a part of me requests a change on it.

Do not tell players "if you don't like it, don't use it" because that is not the way things work. If the designers did not intend for you to use something, it wouldn't be in the game.

Just get straight to the meat of what you're saying, which is "deal with it." Because really, that's what you're saying. That's fine, but don't try to make it look pretty by saying "if you don't like it, don't use it".

Do not tell players "if you don't like it, don't use it" because that is not the way things work. If the designers did not intend for you to use something, it wouldn't be in the game.

Just get straight to the meat of what you're saying, which is "deal with it." Because really, that's what you're saying. That's fine, but don't try to make it look pretty by saying "if you don't like it, don't use it".

who the hell are you to tell me what i can and cant say?

If you dont like it, dont read it.

who the hell are you to tell me what i can and cant say?

if you think it's too overpowered you could always just... wait for it... not use it.

Who are you to tell others how to play the game? You come into a thread about balance and use the most ridiculous argument to refute the entire point of the topic, and you don't expect to be called out on it?

Who are you to tell others how to play the game? You come into a thread about balance and use the most ridiculous argument to refute the entire point of the topic, and you don't expect to be called out on it?

i havent told anyone how to play the game. in fact i have done the opposite, i've told people to choose how to play the game for themselves, which thankfully includes the option to simply not use things which they dont like.

Not gonna argue with you though, i've said my piece on this already.

i havent told anyone how to play the game. in fact i have done the opposite, i've told people to choose how to play the game, which includes the option to simply not use things which they dont like.

The "choices" you suggested to them were "deal with it via opt-out" and just plain "deal with it". Neither of those contributes anything to the discussion.

That argument baffles me. It doesn't make sense. It's patronizing, and it's a cop-out.

"Hey, the designers put this in the game, for us to use. Let's just ignore it completely if we don't like it. I mean, why would we ever want to discuss balancing content the developers purposely put within a game? Why would we do a silly thing like that? It's not like the developers put up a forum for people to discuss what they thought of the game."

What's the point of the forums, if not for constructive discussion?

"Don't use it" is the least constructive thing I've heard here.

The "choices" you suggested to them were "deal with it via opt-out" and just plain "deal with it". Neither of those contributes anything to the discussion.

That argument baffles me. It doesn't make sense. It's patronizing, and it's a cop-out.

"Hey, the designers put this in the game, for us to use. Let's just ignore it completely if we don't like it. I mean, why would we ever want to discuss balancing content the developers purposely put within a game? Why would we do a silly thing like that? It's not like the developers put up a forum for people to discuss what they thought of the game."

What's the point of the forums, if not for constructive discussion?

"Don't use it" is the least constructive thing I've heard here.

ok. feel free to keep repeating yourself, personally i cant be bothered to follow suit.

Now it would be cool if we got some balancing done in the updates, as the number of easy food things grow, now 3 ice + monster meat = meatballs, birdcage spam, never ending honey, making dragon pie with bunch of sticks, someone should take a look on the crock pot and clear that stuff out.

If it's already so easy to not starve without using mentioned exploits, then why they exist in game?

Birdcage is like direct upgrade to crock pot making it 3 slots instead of 4.

A suggestion for the bird cage: birds take damage when they eat monster meat, like the player would. If they eat, say 3-5 pieces they'll die. Alternative, stop them from accepting monster meat at all. You'll just have to farm morsels, if you want eggs, which seems like a fair trade. It moves the bird cage away from being a food source to more of a food converter.

Archived