Birdcage [Here we go again!]

A suggestion for the bird cage: birds take damage when they eat monster meat, like the player would. If they eat, say 3-5 pieces they'll die. Alternative, stop them from accepting monster meat at all. You'll just have to farm morsels, if you want eggs, which seems like a fair trade. It moves the bird cage away from being a food source to more of a food converter.

How about after 4 of them they turn into a Werebird and break out and attack you?

Here's my question...

Why does everything have to be HARD? Can't there be a few things that are easy? I've only been playing for 3-4 months and I get annoyed whenever I read these forums and people say things are "OP" or "too easy". Maybe they're too easy for YOU, but that is your opinion. What is "easy" to one person is NOT easy to another. If everything in this game were as difficult as the "experienced" players wanted it to be, I wouldn't bother playing. There has to be a give and take. Some things easy, some things hard. YOU think a birdcage is easy, but it took me a long time to make one because I was too afraid of the swamp to get reeds. I consider the ease of eggs a reward for finally conquering!

But I know new and "casual" gamers are looked down upon, so I'll stop now.

Here's my question...

Why does everything have to be HARD? Can't there be a few things that are easy? I've only been playing for 3-4 months and I get annoyed whenever I read these forums and people say things are "OP" or "too easy". Maybe they're too easy for YOU, but that is your opinion. What is "easy" to one person is NOT easy to another. If everything in this game were as difficult as the "experienced" players wanted it to be, I wouldn't bother playing. There has to be a give and take. Some things easy, some things hard. YOU think a birdcage is easy, but it took me a long time to make one because I was too afraid of the swamp to get reeds. I consider the ease of eggs a reward for finally conquering!

Its not hard, and it can't be the way it is now.

Developers added spoilage to things you leave on drying racks and crock pots, animals die in traps/chests, some food sources are not available is some seasons, so you must search other ways to get food, they want you to have food problems, and leaving things like current egg spam birdcage in game makes all those RoG changes quite pointless.

Its not hard, and it can't be the way it is now.

Developers added spoilage to things you leave on drying racks and crock pots, animals die in traps/chests, some food sources are not available is some seasons, so you must search other ways to get food, they want you to have food problems, and leaving things like current egg spam birdcage in game makes all those RoG changes quite pointless.

You have a good point there about how the bird cages negate those changes of spoilage.

Either ways, I find no problem with food in the game regardless. I just eat berries until I settle down (usually near rabbit holes & when they are open). Then I make drying racks and start hunting rabbits/koalefants/tallbirds and eventually I get enough meat to last me a lifetime and they just keep coming. The cage is mostly for my seeds or just aesthetics (I do like the look of a pretty bird inside a golden cage). I don't mind if it gets nerfed, I see why it is a bit troubling for some people.

agstah has a point too though. Some players could find it really difficult to actually acquire a bird cage and then build a net and catch a bird and stick it in there. You don't know how some people play and you can't say that everyone is having it "easy".

And I know several people dislike the "don't use it" but there's truth to it no? I like choice which I feel Don't Starve gives me and a lot of other players. Because the developers put it in there for the CHOICE of players to use and does that mean you have to use it? Isn't it just... the choice of not using it if it makes it too easy? The way I see it, it's just choice.

Anyways, a nerf could be neat too (if one happens). I'll see whether I actually rely on the bird cage more than I think I do. But players will adapt and everything will be okay again because I think there's other good sources of food to keep us going regardless and the bird cage really didn't affect me all that much.

Here's my question...

Hard is good, not-so-hard is good too. Try EU4 on default settings and then try it on iron man mode. Or Diablo III. 

The ability to tweak the settings into your comfort zone is PARAMOUNT in gaming*. Too hard or too easy without flexibility easily knocks games out of contention for my money.

Chess games have been getting this right since before most of us were born (not me, I'm old - older than Fritz).

*Obvious exception being competitive games. Those need a standard ruleset agreed upon before every iteration. 

Here's my question...

I have been here for a very long time and I used to think the same way as you do about issues similar to this. I too am a casual gamer, in fact I absolutely suck at this game. But despite that I think this does need to be fixed. Not because it needs to be harder, but because it can easily be exploited. Despite my continued mediocrity at this game I still think that in the long run we should all want changes, that make the game more balanced (and yes sometimes this will make it harder) not because I am some masochist, but because I love this game and want it to be enjoyable for as long as possible. 

if you think it's too overpowered you could always just... wait for it... not use it. It's just one of the many many ways in the game to easily obtain food. Big deal.. yes the name of the game is dont starve, but really, thats the easiest part and not just because of birdcages.

I assume they reverted the birds starving in cages thing because it just meant people werent bothering to use birdcages at all. The reason for that? why bother messing about with birdcages when food is so easy to come by from other sources which dont require constant micro management or for you to return to your base every couple of days.

But like i said - if you think the game is too easy because of birdcages, noone is forcing you to use them.

I feel like this is probably the simplest way to go about the Birdcage problem, seriously, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Archived