The mechanism of logging off

What happens when a player logs off?

Disappear, and nothing changes after relogging.

Here comes a problem:

When multiple players play together, food become a limited resource. They will need to share to survive in early game in order not to starve.

But if some players log off, and stats like hunger is not consumed, then the need for food is significantly reduced. So this game become less challenging.

And a charactor suddenly disappear would look weird, which doesn't fit into the story of DS.

Player needs to go to a particular spot to log off.

Let's think about how Wilson found the way: he built a gate, and saw other people.

So other charactors came through a gate, and should leave through a gate.

But if he didn't log off properly, charactor will faint on the ground.

Hunger decreases less significantly, but still does. And he could eventually die, unless everyone has logged off and server will pause.

But if there is a touch stone or something, charactor will not die twice.

The Wilson's Gate and Permadeath

So, since Wilson built a gate to get in touch with everyone else, we will need to build a gate to enter MP mode. Building the gate will be costy, and need high tier technology. If a player dies, the original world will be deleted, like dying in a cave.

But this works only if there are 20 or more players in a server, so other players won't need to wait for you. But if you play with 1 or 2 friends, there still gonna be a problem.

Honestly these are all such complex potential issues with DST that none of us really have an answer to them. I would imagine that Klei has things under control and they know what they're doing. If not, than I have no idea what we're gonna do about things like permadeath and logging off.

I'm thinking some sort of stasis chamber perhaps, with up to the maximum number of players in chambers.  Each player may enter and leave the stasis chamber when they choose in a world they are participants (with some resource expense no doubt).  While inside you are unaffected by hunger, though sanity could still be a cost, or perhaps a cryo sickness that slowly goes away but makes sanity hard to recover.    

I immediately consider that it would need a certain forbidden zone around it where wild things could not enter and other players couldn't build traps around it to screw over sleeping players.    

When multiple players play together, food become a limited resource. They will need to share to survive in early game in order not to starve.

But if some players log off, and stats like hunger is not consumed, then the need for food is significantly reduced. So this game become less challenging.

I slightly disagree. Sure the need for food is cut in half, but so is work efficiency. Youre only able to get half as much done by yourself than you would be with someone else.

I hope two things: 1. you can disconnect anywhere at anytime. There will be people that abuse that feature, but you don't have to play with them. 2. The game doesn't change difficulty dynamically because someone joins or leaves.

I'll be all for the shadow hands pulling them underground, it fits in the lore/game. Sure, you can abuse a system of always being able to log out and log back in when a certain danger is gone(which wouldn't be fun to me at all), but always being able to logout is also really convenient. If you want everyone to be on the same "stage" all the time, you're better off with playing with friends only, and agree upon everyone leaving once one person has to go and to only continue when everyone is back.

Whilst I'm all for DS setting itself apart from other wilderness survival games, I choose for convenience over a unique feature and have the Door be available on the main menu AND have it be craftable for those that want to build it in their SP world. When I want to play DST, I don't want to spend time to craft the Door/look for it, I want to play DST right away. 

I think to prevent any abuse when logging off there should be a timer that starts when you click on ''log off'' and last (arbitrary number) 10seconds. That means that if you want to log off because you are in a dire situation, you need to be able to survive at least during that time delay.

If the shadow hands are the solution used by the developpers for the log off animation, then characters should not be invincible during that animation and should be able to get hit and die. That would make it so you can't just run a bit away and log off, you actually need to outrun whatever danger is chasing you, in which case you are already safe so no problem logging off.

Said this in an earlier thread but I want something similar to Civ 5's log out system. If a friend logs out you have a vote with the remaining players to A.) Continue playing normally B.) Save and quit or C.) Save and continue. The game saves and reserves the character (Civilization) for that friend who left so whenever he wants to come back he can resume.

IMO Logged off players should be reprsented in a sleep state. Hunger would still drain (though at VERY

minimal speed, like 10% of normal speed or less) but can't fall below a certain point. Once again, the player

could still take damage while "asleep" but would not be able to actually die while logged out. Perhaps as

a max, you could drop to 20% health, and when you 'wake up' (log in the next time), a duplicate of the last

monster to attack you will spawn nearby assuming the original hasn't already been killed. The duplicate monster

would, after either killing or losing track of the player, wander off and despawn shortly after.

Archived