Obsession with PvP - Why?

Because it´s fun?

It be fun to have fights between different clans, who have different set ups, weapons and armor. 

Clans? You are invisioning more than 15 people on a server, aren't you?

That´s if there is like eight people. 

If not, then...Why are we doing this? What´s the point in speculating? We don´t even know how many players there´s going to be.

Clans should be rather large don't you think? 4 vs 4 doesn't sound like clans.

If not, then...Why are we doing this? What´s the point in speculating? We don´t even know how many players there´s going to be.

Actually:

We believe that Don’t Starve Together will support 2-4 players simultaneously

By the looks of that, it seems that PvP wasn't what they were going for when they announced this anyway.

who have different set ups, weapons and armor. 

AKA, those who have the best weapons and armour, and those who don't have the best weapons and armour.

Actually:

We believe that Don’t Starve Together will support 2-4 players simultaneously

By the looks of that, it seems that PvP wasn't what they were going for when they announced this anyway.

AKA, those who have the best weapons and armour, and those who don't have the best weapons and armour.

I predict those with ice staves and explosives win! =)

Meh. I'm not much of a PvPr, but I think it's nice to have the option there :)

I'm not aware of any plans Klei has to create an MMO, so it really shouldn't be an issue in that regard. I also don't have a problem with the combat items we have already; if a player is *smart* about how (s)he fights (e.g. boomerangs and blowdarts for running players), then it shouldn't be a problem. If people have thulecite, then that just means they were well prepared.

It's a tough world out there.

I'd recommend being able to join/set up a map (probably around 4 people-ish) that has the option to have friendly-fire en/disabled - that way, everyone's happy. ^-^

I predict those with ice staves and explosives win! =)

Well, not exactly. Remember, everyone has to manage their own huds, so someone might have better armor than you, but might be starving, insane or really low health when you encounter them.

Also, the environment is a constant threat, when fighting, who knows what could come into play. 

How so ? If your goal in PvP is to kill your opponent, you can as much aim at destroying his base, all his supplies and his food reserve: you'll kill him with attrition instead of with weapons. You could make his life miserable whenever he leaves his camp with a single torch. What will he do if you steal/burn all his summer or winter gear a day before the harsh season start? You would only do this on a PvP server, never on a coop server (what would be the point of ruining your own base anyway). In my opinion, it is totally relevant for PvP.

That's actually very good. You will have to carry around improtant stuff and there won't be op camping. DS vanilla default single player is boring in that case that only adventure mode brings real chalenge. In survival once you set up a camp you are good to conquer the island.

hey, thanks for that. I can continue to badger....for now!!!

though "our prototype that made us decide to do this" is a weird way of saying "we're not telling you if we actually want it or not" lol

Well at least we know they're considering it, its better then not knowing anything at all

Klei are definitely very secretive of Don't Starve Together. I believe it's the first time we have been kept in the dark over something this "big". Feels strange but they must not feel it's quiet ready to release any information on it this early.

I'll miss these days when I'm older. Great time to be part of Don't Starve.

The times when everyone grouped up and scrutinised the trailers for the secrets that the developers put it them.

I'm still surprised that they made the Furry rock into nothing... What was it's name... Petrinox or something like that.

The times when everyone grouped up and scrutinised the trailers for the secrets that the developers put it them.

I'm still surprised that they made the Furry rock into nothing... What was it's name... Petrinox or something like that.

pelontrix. I'm slightly surprised too considered it was a dev who started the rumor anyway :p

The only thing that tweet means is that in the current build player characters are capable of hitting each other.   That's not really conclusive information.   

I hope no one reads into it further than that. Good thing it's on their minds, though.

I get the impression that the ones who are adamantly against pvp (not the ones who have no opinion, don't care, or don't know enough to say anything) feel like only things that convenience the player should be added to the game.

Here's a thought: maybe they'll add something to the game that'll make pvp less appealing, that will make it not the priority. I don't mean make pvp unfun, but make something else to take the attention away from the unrealistic "huge threat" pvp seems to have with some people.

The only PvP related thing I fear is the unavoidable abondance of Maxwell/Woodie teams we'll come across if nothing is done to counter zerg rushes and other "ME KILL U" shenanigans.

I just hope that when DST comes out, we'll be able to play on private servers or lock games, to play only with persons of taste and lock out filthy internet strangers. I don't want rabid wererabbits eating all the carrots in my civilized games with my friends while I'm busy slaughtering them and cackling maniacally.

Archived