Superstitions?

Once I get Chester, I get uneasy when he isn't around, like when I put him somewhere so I can fight hounds. The boing boing boing boing becomes a subconscious thing that you don't notice is there until it's gone...

And when I get a Glommer, I know I will eventually end up killing it myself somehow. It's happened five times now, darned ctrl+f...

Gentlemen and gentlewomen, let us travel to the past to embark on a journey to find the origin/reference to my superstition.. To the thread about the "weird maniac laugh at night"!

http://oldforums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?5447-Weird-maniac-laugh-at-night

Huh, I've only ever heard barking at low sanity. Was the noise actually changed or was this just someone's interpretation?

Huh, I've only ever heard barking at low sanity. Was the noise actually changed or was this just someone's interpretation?

It's an ambient noise, that doesn't have to do with sanity (the laugh dates from even before Sanity got included). This is an actual ambient noise, me amongst others have heard the very same noise. I usually play DS with my volume cranked up so I can hear it very clearly. It's a slow and deep laugh, and I swear I hear it more when I'm in a graveyard. "Ha..ha..ha..ha....ha"

Always have Multiple of 3, of grass, and I make myself a Gnome village, taking the pig's lives so that the gnome can live near their houses withou filty pigs.

The Gnomes are rising, they apear in the tunbleweed to travel long distances, they have already risen, its too late now.

It's an ambient noise, that doesn't have to do with sanity (the laugh dates from even before Sanity got included). This is an actual ambient noise, me amongst others have heard the very same noise. I usually play DS with my volume cranked up so I can hear it very clearly. It's a slow and deep laugh, and I swear I hear it more when I'm in a graveyard. "Ha..ha..ha..ha....ha"

I've never actually heard it though maybe I should actually try playing while not in a Skype call. 

And with headphones that actually work properly. 

I won't pick carrots. Ever. Because as long as they're planted they last forever. I tell myself they're for emergencies only, but even when it is an emergency, I can't bring myself pick one of those non renewable, natural spawned carrots.

I won't carry anything lessthan 10% durability.

I don't like to carry anything with low durability either. But what do you do with them? I wish Don't Starve has a furnace or let you burn everything in the fire pit. Besides low durability items, I have too much beefalo horns that I slowly have to waste.

I won't pick carrots. Ever. Because as long as they're planted they last forever. I tell myself they're for emergencies only, but even when it is an emergency, I can't bring myself pick one of those non renewable, natural spawned carrots.

OMG. I don't like using anything non renewable or hard to renew but by Gods. I didn't realize till now. Naturally spawned carrots are not renewable T_T! What have I done!!! The humanity, the carrots =(.

I don't like to carry anything with low durability either. But what do you do with them? I wish Don't Starve has a furnace or let you burn everything in the fire pit. Besides low durability items, I have too much beefalo horns that I slowly have to waste.

Console to delete useless items. There will be no clutter in my world!

I try to give them to catcoons stubbernly, and then I tend to resort to a pile in a garbage zone I illustrate with a measly sign. Sometimes I build a wall around my dump. Nothing much else you can do with the stuff, plus the low durability makes the items feel devalued.

Console to delete useless items. There will be no clutter in my world!

That's cheating and I forbid thou!

That's cheating and I forbid thou!

Its interesting how people define "cheating". Cheating is gaining an advantage through illegitimate means. Deleting a tentacle spike that has 3% durability on it rather than throwing it on the ground and letting it lag my game is not "cheating". :p

Its interesting how people define "cheating". Cheating is gaining an advantage through illegitimate means. Deleting a tentacle spike that has 3% durability on it rather than throwing it on the ground and letting it lag my game is not "cheating". :p

No, you're definition of cheating is a bit off. It simply means 'breaking the rules', and using the console to alter the world is breaking the integrity of the product.

I am, of course, being silly. I really do empathise with your limitations, but it's technically what it is: breaking the rules (albeit you benefit not from the "cheat" - and, in fact, need it in order to have the entire game experience).

No, you're definition of cheating is a bit off. It simply means 'breaking the rules', and using the console to alter the world is breaking the integrity of the product.

I am, of course, being silly. I really do empathise with your limitations, but it's technically what it is: breaking the rules (albeit you benefit not from the "cheat" - and, in fact, need it in order to have the entire game experience).

Its silly to say that there are any rules to break in a sandbox game like Don't Starve. 

I get the gist of what you're saying though. :)

Story of my life, carrots are off limits. Also i always put my endothermic fire pit and regular fire pit together, with a lantern in the middle. It's rare that i'll ever touch the lantern, it may as well be a potted fern for how little i have ever used it.

Its silly to say that there are any rules to break in a sandbox game like Don't Starve. 

I get the gist of what you're saying though. :-)

Sandboxes are played within an architecture, no? Even the word 'sandbox' refers to an enclosed area where you can do whatever you want. Just give that a thought for a second. Colloquialisms are fine though. Whatevs.

I have to have the following resources arranged in my Inventory in this order. HAVE TO HAVE!

All must be max stacked. If I have any extra of one type of resource, it goes straight into chests organised so each resource has their own chest. So I have a chest for grass, wood, hound tooth, gems, feathers, twigs etc...

Flint, Grass, Twigs, Wood, Stone,

All hand held items such as Spear, Torch, Axe, Hammer, Umbrella etc...MUST be stored in Backpack.

The preshitilator (whatever its called) disturbs me. After building it, I quickly have a shadow manipulator up. But this hat this just sits there in my base uselessly. 

It has barely any magic unlocks, its not really worth hammering, it undulates when I walk past, and it strangely never tries to ignite. It never gets torn down either. I always have the odd feeling that staring into the hat would show me horrible things as well....

That and tentacles seem to be afraid of mushrooms, but are attracted to reeds.

Also, crazy weird stuff happens in the caves sometimes. I could of sworn I heard horse hooves trotting, and it wasn't from the spider queen. I was also running down one of the dead ends and chester appeared in front of me, even though he was supposed to be following behind me. There was also a broken wormhole in the ruins.

Why do you insult me ? T_T

Mine is that I always put edible stuff inmy backpack since I died against spiders and they ate ALL my food !

Why do you insult me ? T_T

Mine is that I always put edible stuff inmy backpack since I died against spiders and they ate ALL my food !

I thought you were the skull in the picture, not actually part of the machine. 

Sorry  :wilson_love:

I don't really understand why people can't figure out what to do with low durability items. if its an axe, whack it against a tree a couple of times until it breaks. if its a shovel, dig something up and replant it until it breaks. If its a weapon, whack a spider or even chester a couple of times until it breaks. (I always pick the spider, who would want to hurt chester?!) I don't ever have to worry about a dump full of low durability tools, because I always use the tools to properly dispose of them! But I guess this is a thread about superstitions, so not everything has to be logical :3

Archived