I know there´s a lot of questions going around, but I feel like everyone´s missing the really big one. What happens with time? I mean, If I get attacked by a Firefly, can I just log off and wait for Summer to end? I can literally miss an entire season simply by disconnecting for a while. Or even worse, what If I connect and it´s the middle of Winter and I have nothing prepared? What if I log in, and it´s night and I die instantly because I wasn´t ready for darkness?

This is a bit tough to tackle, my one of my suggestions that I can think of is for you to spawn in next to a fire (if its night or winter) as there will probably be one going or to spawn with a torch if there is none. Maybe some season appropriate clothes if its winter or summer? But then there's the problem of "let me just rejoin and get some free stuff"

The only other suggestion that I can think of is spawn immunity, a certain amount of time where you aren't affected by darkness/damage/temperature but you can't do anything besides pick things up. Maybe spawn next to the most players.

OR

because it's implied that you can get to multiplayer through singleplayer by building a portal, the idea is to just give players the chance to prepare before they go join other people? But then you have the problem of you don't know what you're preparing for.

I don't know, this does really seem like a big problem and my ideas probably aren't that helpful.

This is a bit tough to tackle, my one of my suggestions that I can think of is for you to spawn in next to a fire (if its night or winter) as there will probably be one going or to spawn with a torch if there is none. Maybe some season appropriate clothes if its winter or summer? But then there's the problem of "let me just rejoin and get some free stuff"

The only other suggestion that I can think of is spawn immunity, a certain amount of time where you aren't affected by darkness/damage/temperature but you can't do anything besides pick things up. Maybe spawn next to the most players.

OR

because it's implied that you can get to multiplayer through singleplayer by building a portal, the idea is to just give players the chance to prepare before they go join other people? But then you have the problem of you don't know what you're preparing for.

I don't know, this does really seem like a big problem and my ideas probably aren't that helpful.

I think that if we build the "Wilson Door" when we want to make a trip to another world will be there a menu for show us info about the current world, the owner, the season, the day, etc.

My idea'd add a use to signs : where there's one, the player will spawn after connecting. The sign will emit light and warmth\cold for a short time. If there's no sign the player will spawn where he was.

I just can think in trolls making walls over your spawn point.

With this type of game, I feel like at some point they just have to not worry about things that are out of their control. So just like people that alt+f4 to prevent themselves from dying, I think Klei shouldn't really worry about it too much and hope that people play the way they want.

(I'm not saying they should do nothing. I'm saying that whatever they do won't fix all of those problems or they will and will end up severely limiting new people joining the game)

Well, I was talking about co-op...but imagine that : Webber "woops...I planted a spider nest on Wilson's sign..." xD

I know but there out are there so many trolls D:

Or think in Maxwell:"Sorry, i just made a mistake and called the bigfoot in the midle of your base!"

I know but there out are there so many trolls D:

Or think in Maxwell:"Sorry, i just made a mistake and called the bigfoot in the midle of your base!"

Or Wickerbottom "3 tentacles ? In your base ? No, I dunno why they're there..."

I think that if we build the "Wilson Door" when we want to make a trip to another world will be there a menu for show us info about the current world, the owner, the season, the day, etc.

Miku is right. I love this idea, and I think it's kinda what will happen.

I sort of hinted this in my thread here "http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36103-how-to-rebalance-dont-starve-for-multiplayer/" when I mentioned what happens if a friend decides to leave, do we carry on and do all the work until he comes back? Or do we all stop playing seeing as Multiplayer will be balanced for team play, I can only guess it will be tough to try and survive alone.

So technically someone can join you at day 1 play with you till day 2 for example, leave, then you're stuck playing that game alone until he decides to join again at day 50 for example? Not sure how to solve this one. Klei have probably thought of a solution, if not then might as well play Single player.

@Gudinito you don't need to worry about trolls. If you have good friends who you can trust, starting a Private game is what you want to do. You can choose who you want to play with basically.

In Nether, you have to wait a few moments before you can disconnect. Hostile actions can prevent you from save and quitting, so you can't simply leave when the monsters get mad. Would this system work for MP?

I think:

While nobody's in the map, the map is frozen. On the map it should show what day you're in, season and if it's day, dusk or night. If somebody's in the game and it's night time, you can't enter the game until it's day time, how's that. Just something I quickly thought of, not too much developed there...

I think:

While nobody's in the map, the map is frozen. On the map it should show what day you're in, season and if it's day, dusk or night. If somebody's in the game and it's night time, you can't enter the game until it's day time, how's that. Just something I quickly thought of, not too much developed there...

I agree that the map should freeze (or at least save like it does in singleplayer) if no ones playing it, but there's still the problem of "well we started out with 4/4 people but 2 people had to leave because of reasons" What then? Does the game stop or keep going? if one of the players rejoin where do they go? what if the season changed while they were gone?

I think the other players should help out if they're already there like providing clothing and light if the other player is in a pickle, but theres then the problem of "Ok the 2 people we're missing arent going to come back today, we'll keep playing and then log off ourselves" And then they log off in the middle of the night in winter and the next day the 2 missing players before join. What happens to them? Should they be forced to die just because their friends aren't on?

The only realistic thing I can think of is an all or nothing scenario, in which if someones going to leave everyone needs to leave. And if you want to play again you need everyone there. I don't think that would make many people happy though.

The two big problems that we need to overcome are 1. The extreme seasons (summer and winter) 2. The dark. They need to be dealt with in a way that's fair, and doesn't become OP or exploitable.

Just my 2 cents on your thoughts after XirmiX...

I agree that the map should freeze (or at least save like it does in singleplayer) if no ones playing it, but there's still the problem of "well we started out with 4/4 people but 2 people had to leave because of reasons" What then? Does the game stop or keep going? if one of the players rejoin where do they go? what if the season changed while they were gone?

If there are still people playing, I'd say time continues moving on, including seasons. That's a risk people will take in MP if they haven't coordinated things beforehand. If all goes well for folks playing together, I would think everyone would probably work out a plan with each other like "hey, I'm leaving, can't play again until tomorrow. If Winter hits while you're still playing, will you leave me some gear?". Players who log out and rejoin should reappear in the same place they were when they originally quit.

I think the other players should help out if they're already there like providing clothing and light if the other player is in a pickle, but theres then the problem of "Ok the 2 people we're missing arent going to come back today, we'll keep playing and then log off ourselves" And then they log off in the middle of the night in winter and the next day the 2 missing players before join. What happens to them? Should they be forced to die just because their friends aren't on?

Same as above... players can work things out amongst each other. As far as what happens to the logged-off players, I'd say that they should basically just be removed from the game. Zap them out and freeze time and the map until at least one person is playing again (maybe leave an icon on the map of where each person was when they logged off). No dying of weather/starvation/etc just because they're gone, or allowing players to kill them while they're in this frozen state.

Oh, and as far as night, I agree with what someone else said... somewhere, in one of the multitude of threads over the past few days. Apologies to whomever that was, I can't reference you because there's just been SO MUCH. If a player logs on again and it's night, there should be a brief period of light (maybe like the cave light shining down) where they can grab their torch, craft a fire, etc. The light will fade pretty quickly though, so if the player didn't adequately prepare before they logged out, well, it's lights out when you log back in.

Just my 2 cents on your thoughts after XirmiX...

If there are still people playing, I'd say time continues moving on, including seasons. That's a risk people will take in MP if they haven't coordinated things beforehand. If all goes well for folks playing together, I would think everyone would probably work out a plan with each other like "hey, I'm leaving, can't play again until tomorrow. If Winter hits while you're still playing, will you leave me some gear?". Players who log out and rejoin should reappear in the same place they were when they originally quit.

Same as above... players can work things out amongst each other. As far as what happens to the logged-off players, I'd say that they should basically just be removed from the game. Zap them out and freeze time and the map until at least one person is playing again (maybe leave an icon on the map of where each person was when they logged off). No dying of weather/starvation/etc just because they're gone, or allowing players to kill them while they're in this frozen state.

Oh, and as far as night, I agree with what someone else said... somewhere, in one of the multitude of threads over the past few days. Apologies to whomever that was, I can't reference you because there's just been SO MUCH. If a player logs on again and it's night, there should be a brief period of light (maybe like the cave light shining down) where they can grab their torch, craft a fire, etc. The light will fade pretty quickly though, so if the player didn't adequately prepare before they logged out, well, it's lights out when you log back in.

Yeah I guess that's a pretty good way of handling it, player responsibility is something I do like to see but there's still the risk of environmental things like say all the gear you threw in that chest? It caught on fire right as you logged back on.

I suppose that's just something you'll have to live with too? As well as put responsibility on the other players not to mess with that stuff.

I think for this we'll just have to wait and see how it's handled and if it feels right when playing. Because there's a very fine line between frustration and fair in don't starve and I'd rather see this on the fair side of things.

Yeah I guess that's a pretty good way of handling it, player responsibility is something I do like to see but there's still the risk of environmental things like say all the gear you threw in that chest? It caught on fire right as you logged back on.

I suppose that's just something you'll have to live with too? As well as put responsibility on the other players not to mess with that stuff.

I think for this we'll just have to wait and see how it's handled and if it feels right when playing. Because there's a very fine line between frustration and fair in don't starve and I'd rather see this on the fair side of things.

That's right, fire! I think that will be part of the risk of a MP game... if/when we login/logout, we'll need to keep in mind that the environment can change while we're gone, so we'll need to plan our time (real world gameplay time, I mean) accordingly. I mean, it would serve me right to join and play for 2 hours, not collect summer gear, and then have my very small base destroyed by fire when I login again 5 days later.

I'm sure they'll find a way to bring in a good balance of "fair" and "uncompromising". I'm pretty sure that they're letting us hash out our differences at the moment, but gathering feedback and coming up with creative ideas to make MP work as best it can. They were able to bring in some new employees at Klei, so that alone will totally help in the development process. They won't want us to hate their game.

Something i was just thinking about is the giants though. Any ideas on how that could work? I mean, even with the "serves me right" mentality, it would be a really poor experience to do the 2 hours-5 days thing I mentioned above, and log back in to find the Deerclops someone else had spawn rampaging my little mini base. Maybe giants that spawn can be seen by others, but only interacted with and affected by the player responsible for spawning them?

That's right, fire! I think that will be part of the risk of a MP game... if/when we login/logout, we'll need to keep in mind that the environment can change while we're gone, so we'll need to plan our time (real world gameplay time, I mean) accordingly. I mean, it would serve me right to join and play for 2 hours, not collect summer gear, and then have my very small base destroyed by fire when I login again 5 days later.

I'm sure they'll find a way to bring in a good balance of "fair" and "uncompromising". I'm pretty sure that they're letting us hash out our differences at the moment, but gathering feedback and coming up with creative ideas to make MP work as best it can. They were able to bring in some new employees at Klei, so that alone will totally help in the development process. They won't want us to hate their game.

Something i was just thinking about is the giants though. Any ideas on how that could work? I mean, even with the "serves me right" mentality, it would be a really poor experience to do the 2 hours-5 days thing I mentioned above, and log back in to find the Deerclops someone else had spawn rampaging my little mini base. Maybe giants that spawn can be seen by others, but only interacted with and affected by the player responsible for spawning them?

Maybe giants only spawn if everyone/most of everyone is there? That way if theres only one player they don't have to deal with a boss meant for more players. And probably within a certain vicinity of the players, like 3 or 2 screens away?

The other idea I guess is something that would summon a giant, but that could lead to farming and takes the unexpected part out of giant spawns.

Maybe giants only spawn if everyone/most of everyone is there? That way if theres only one player they don't have to deal with a boss meant for more players. And probably within a certain vicinity of the players, like 3 or 2 screens away?

The other idea I guess is something that would summon a giant, but that could lead to farming and takes the unexpected part out of giant spawns.

This will be a bit of a challenge for the devs to work out. I'm gonna have to think on this one myself for a while. If giants don't spawn until everyone is there, then a single player could farm resource-upon-resource until all the other players are back. And other players could deliberately stay away, allowing that to happen so that everyone gets a leg up and is over-prepared for battle. But if giants spawn while other players are AFK, then how does that affect their character and anything they've built/crafted.

Agreed with summoning, that would totally detract from the unexpected.

Archived