I agree that the map should freeze (or at least save like it does in singleplayer) if no ones playing it, but there's still the problem of "well we started out with 4/4 people but 2 people had to leave because of reasons" What then? Does the game stop or keep going? if one of the players rejoin where do they go? what if the season changed while they were gone?

I think the other players should help out if they're already there like providing clothing and light if the other player is in a pickle, but theres then the problem of "Ok the 2 people we're missing arent going to come back today, we'll keep playing and then log off ourselves" And then they log off in the middle of the night in winter and the next day the 2 missing players before join. What happens to them? Should they be forced to die just because their friends aren't on?

The only realistic thing I can think of is an all or nothing scenario, in which if someones going to leave everyone needs to leave. And if you want to play again you need everyone there. I don't think that would make many people happy though.

The two big problems that we need to overcome are 1. The extreme seasons (summer and winter) 2. The dark. They need to be dealt with in a way that's fair, and doesn't become OP or exploitable.

you could start off with an invincibility frame thats lasts until your in a safe area but you cannot attack and during this you will glow with heat

I think that the "dedicated server" idea for this game just doesn't fit. It should be similar to a lot of other co-op multiplayer games, where it can only continue when all players are present, so everybody hops into a lobby and when they're ready the game begins (or continues).

I think that the "dedicated server" idea for this game just doesn't fit. It should be similar to a lot of other co-op multiplayer games, where it can only continue when all players are present, so everybody hops into a lobby and when they're ready the game begins (or continues).

What if one person suddenly quits and you no longer have access to that save anymore? Could you remove them from the "party" permanently as an option? Would you be able to add another player?

It'll probably work similar to TF2 does: you get a list of servers where you can see the rules, season, and number of players, and join whichever you like. It's probable that you get a persistent character, so if you log out you get to keep your gear and recipes, and death results in losing all your loot with the option of recovering it after revival. 

An option to force people to roll a new character would be nice, to prevent griefers from dropping in wearing the best everythings and burning your world to the ground.

I'm sure there will be dedicated servers that crop up, especially with their own mods and what-have-you and definitely some PVP-only servers, but there most likely won't be any officially operated dedicated servers. Most servers will probably act as other co-op games and have a host. The host gets the world data saved to their PC, and if they drop then everyone drops. If anyone else disconnects, they'll be able to rejoin same as they would join any other server.

Basically, if the host leaves then the game ends. The host will get the world data saved, and can load the map up for next time. Some people will set up dedicated servers, then the game never "pauses" or anything, and you can expect to join in on day 9138 a week later.

What if one person suddenly quits and you no longer have access to that save anymore? Could you remove them from the "party" permanently as an option? Would you be able to add another player?

If somebody quits then you can continue without them, but they can't join back. When someone's dead, they're dead. Removing them would effectively kill them. Adding more players would allow poor players an easy way out of a tough situation encouraging people to just call in their friends whenever they needed help.

If somebody quits then you can continue without them, but they can't join back. When someone's dead, they're dead. Removing them would effectively kill them. Adding more players would allow poor players an easy way out of a tough situation encouraging people to just call in their friends whenever they needed help.

That really encourages restarting servers though, like say someones wifi goes out and they come back the next day sad and confused, or a bunch of new players start a server, and find out quickly how gunpowder works. If someone survives, they might just say "well screw you im going to keep playing" and everyone else is just sort of left out to dry until they can find another sever to join or they start their own, which they might not even have the capacity to do. Severs also go down randomly too, its not always player error and they need to account for that.

Things happen, and punishing players for things they have no control over just makes the game seem bad.

That really encourages restarting servers though, like say someones wifi goes out and they come back the next day sad and confused, or a bunch of new players start a server, and find out quickly how gunpowder works. If someone survives, they might just say "well screw you im going to keep playing" and everyone else is just sort of left out to dry until they can find another sever to join or they start their own, which they might not even have the capacity to do. Severs also go down randomly too, its not always player error and they need to account for that.

Things happen, and punishing players for things they have no control over just makes the game seem bad.

Aight, I guess people could set an option where everybody has to present and they can't continue without everybody that is alive on the map.

Archived