Ranged Weapons

we need ranged weapons in this game people, not a joke., you could mine for gunpowder or iron and stuff.(guns removed, except maybe flintlock pistol), also we could have a more primitive ranged weapon, like a bow for instance.8-)cool guy with crossbow

so all i'm saying is to add some stuff like bows and flintlock pistols

so here's stats

bow:fast reload, low power, made with logs 6 and silk 4,fires arrows:red=3/crow=4 feathers, twigs flint makes 5, used for hunting

crossbow:wood planks 4, silk 5, iron 2, fires faster and quicker than bow, also reloads quicker, firs bolt and arrows bolt:crow 4/red 3 feather flint 2 twigs 6 basically longer, pointier arrows

secondary spear attack:you throw your spear, takes three percent from the spear, and you have to retrieve it, but it does more damage and works from a distance.

i don't want that kill streak crap and no helicopters, its wilderness survival!

CALL OF DUTY IS CALL OF DUTY PEOPLE!

Edited by MounatinLeemer
FINE, I'll remove the guns

Actually I think a flintlock pistol-type weapon would suit the game really well.

As for it breaking the realism, well...

I can't remember the last time I resurrected myself with my own beard hairs. Or built a beehive, by hand, with nothing but some wood, a few bees and honeycombs.

Where do the hinges for the chests come from? How does an alchemy machine work? Since when can pigs talk?

Realism isn't too much of a concern for me, I actually really like this idea.

I think ranged weapons would work only with weapons we can throw. Reason I say this is because the games focus seems to be around you having to fight close range if you chose toe melee.However a weapon such as a spear or javelin what they could do is make it so when you throw it you have to go pick it up in order to throw again. That way even though the weapon is ranged it keeps in with how the weapon combat is close range for the most part.Your put in danger having to go grab your weapon.Also this could make for funny encounters since you would see the weapon stuck in the enemy you throw it in.

It could work with the existing spear if they wanted to give it a 2ndary attack type. For balance reasons throwing weapon would do more damage ,but would also deteriorate faster. Also if the existing weapons and tools are given a secondary ability to be thrown instead of making a separate set of throw able weapons,they would still be able to attack close range.

One thing to think about: If there were ranged weapons, it would give a huge advantage to the player versus the current enemies. The only way to even it out would be to make ranged enemies, enemies that are somewhat immune to ranged combat, or enemies that move super fast. That's a huge complicating factor for the game. Would it be worth it?

I agree that the idea of a bow and maybe even a flintlock pistol is cool. More than that would be breaking with the really interesting style the game currently has - and that style is one of the main draws of the game.

Obviously if ranged weaponry was implemented it would have to be a totally different bag from melee combat.

Flintlock pistol could do less damage (think about getting shot vs being gored with a spear), be inaccurate, slow reload...

Lots of ways to balance it.

It would have to be a difficult craft, I think. Use something like 4 flint to craft plus more flint to make ammo, as well as some other really rare drops not in-game yet (gunpowder perhaps?)

First post here, digging the game :)

How about this-

Flintlock Pistol- Gunpowder x3 (rare drop from mining), Flint x5, Boards x2

Shot (ammo)- Gunpowder x1, Squared rock x1, Flint x1

Shot stacks up to 10, but must be loaded into the pistol by clicking first on the shot then on the pistol. Reload animation is a few seconds.

When firing, character stands still and two converging lines appear (think Assassin's Creed pistol), and shot is fired when character moves/changes weapon/does anything.

The closer the two lines are to converging, the more likely that the shot will hit.

Damage is reasonable, but not incredible.

This might be asking quite a bit of the devs, but it'd be a cool thing to have, and the fact that ammo+gun is two inventory slots, combined with a high cost, slow reload and inaccuracy, might make it balance-able.

we should be able to make bombs.

What do you think a Bee Mine is?

As for ranged weapons, while I sort of dig the idea of a flintlock pistol or rifle that does a lot of damage but takes for-freaking-ever to reload, or a bow and arrow to shoot down pesky jackalopes... er... rabbits with, I think it would break the game utterly. The devs would have to do a major combat - and enemy - overhaul, and I strongly question whether that would be worth the time and effort vs. adding other content to the game.

Some simple but not overpowered ranged weapons would be interesting. A flintock pistol could be very strong with a long reload time and thus forcing you to be carefull in using it. A shotgun could quickly become overpowered thought because it shoots in such a wide arch of fire.

Some simple but not overpowered ranged weapons would be interesting. A flintock pistol could be very strong with a long reload time and thus forcing you to be carefull in using it. A shotgun could quickly become overpowered thought because it shoots in such a wide arch of fire.

Shotguns dont only shoot Birdshot, they can also shoot slugs which would not let you spray and prey plus after 4-5 shots the reload would be incredibly long, tho i dont think a shotgun would match the game would make a good mod tho.

I do like the idea of a flint lock pistol tho, if you gave them a durability of maybe 10 shots as well it would not be OP. and Personally i think a bow and arrow would be awsome for rabbit hunting.

True, shotguns can use slugs too, but somehow it feels out of place to me. Old weapons like flintocks would require some strategy, since it fires only once and then requires a lot of time to be used again, which makes up for its power. Spray and prey weapons are a big no no in my book, I would hate to go running around spreading massacre like it is some shooter.

Well, make ranged weapons very expensive to create and it would require a lot of time and resources to built up such an arsenal. Also have gunpowder be a very rare resource and ranged weapons will be your last resort to use, since every shot is an expensive one.

we should be able to make bombs.
i like this idea and i think it should be implimented at some point maybe use 4x rocks 2x gold nugget and gunpowder if implimented? only problem being how would the mechanics for it work? lighting it with a torch? or detonates after a few seconds of being placed? plus what about damage to the surrounding enviroment? surely if bombs were added it would have to add a whole new factor the game?

I don't want to see firearms implemented into the game at all. I don't feel they are a match for the art and play style.

However, if they were added might I suggest a blunderbuss?

The ammo would be whatever you could cram in it. Seeds will give you a birdshot effect with limited damage. Flint will give you high damage buck shot effect.

This would encourage more experimentation than a straight forward shotgun.

I think that if they introduce ranged weapons they should be on equal tech terms with the close combat weapons that we have.

A bow - made from web / rope and twigs

Arrows - made from flint, twigs and feathers

This sounds the most balanced by far - have its damage about half that of a spear strike or so.

I guess if you wanted to increase tech from there you could add something like a "Sling shot"

Rope or web and twigs to make the sling

Rocks as ammo

Give it shorter range but allow it to do more damage.

Or you could even make a blow pipe out of reeds and twigs and have the ammo be bee stingers.

Guns are just too high tech in my opinion, our other weapons and our armour are super low tech, I would rather see copper mines / forges / copper armour / copper helmets and swords than I would guns......

Edit: if they do add ranged weapons I would want to see -

You not being able to move while firing

if bows - drawback time and a delay while reloading

if blow pipes - time to load and lift before using

if sling shots - time to load and draw

this would make their use strategical and make you completely defenceless while using them

Also while I'm editing - Adding poisons and effects to weapons would be much better than guns too.

Edited by Potian Dragoon

I figured I'd add my two cents, for what it's worth, lol...

Ranged weaponry: yes.

Black powder weaponry: no.

Slingshots and crude bows are a must; let the slingshot do, say, very low damage similar to a tool or even less (perhaps the same, but slow fire rate? or less, but fast fire rate?) but with unlimited ammunition while the bow does full weapon damage like a spear but requires crafting ammunition (and hopefully allows you to stack your current ammo onto the bow itself, ne c'est pas?). This would then open up the ability to craft special arrow heads, like flaming ones....

Fire gooooood..... ...until you accidentally shoot one into a forest and burn the whole damned thing down around you...

Holy carp, aren't you sick of chasing gobblers clear across the map just to make them stop eating your berries? :D