How to Rebalance Don't Starve for Multiplayer? Console Commands Yes/No? page 16

Oh I like that, the Seista Lean-Two will gradually bring down your temperature whilst inside also.

"And if everyone decides to sleep early - you skip dusk\night entirely" - But a wickerbottom in your world? 

Well, Wickerbottom will have to use other things to warm up and restore sanity, like it is in SP part of the game. Maybe devs will think of some solution, to make it possible to skip nights even with the Wickerbottom in team. But for now I think - Wickerbottom ctrafts and fuels the fire, others sleep until dawn with animation. While it happens people can talk, make plans etc...

What I really wonder though is how will Webber and his spidermen work with others... that rather unique problem too.

Oh god, I just realized how awesome The Bush Hat will be for PvP!

Hiding in your opponent's Berry Plantation, waiting for them to unsuspectingly walk close and then...

Heh, just don't do that in Summer. Ice Flingomatics is a pretty good defense line against fire hounds and Gobblers. And I guess it will be against players too)

Heh, just don't do that in Summer. Ice Flingomatics is a pretty good defense line against fire hounds and Gobblers. And I guess it will be against players too)

Wait, Flingomatics can kill stuff? Never heard of that happening.

Wait, Flingomatics can kill stuff? Never heard of that happening.

Nope, they can't, but they freeze stuff. Fast. If you have big berry plantation when you harvest - it automatically fires snowballs at bushes to revitalize them in summer. And since they fly rather slow, usually gobblers take a hit and freeze in place. I always have 10-12 meats from them each time I harvest berries in summer.

And if red hound dies and ignites - they shoot at it, freezing all nearby hounds, allowing to dispatch them one by one. and if player would'be frozen - I'd take my chance to place some gunpowder surprise)

Now...

How we will down to the caves?

Separed worlds in the same time?

That probably depends on DS engine if it can be tweaked to support actions in two worlds at same time or not. But if it can support several players at once, why not several worlds? That's up to Klei I think.

Should there be PVP?

Optionally yes, community seems to like it.

Should there be friendly fire/team killing?

Only in PVP. They should make private servers for teams (no friendly fire), public servers for teams (no friendly fire), than pvp. Going through these phases will help balance PVP through the behavior of players, before we get to the part with the most trolling and exploiting. Might as will reduce the water before opening the flood gates.

Should monsters be harder to kill?

Smarter so they can fight multiple people, but their stats and abilities shouldn't be different from single player. As a person who never could get that blasted Gengar in Pokemon, I am against features I would miss when trying to play a game by myself.

Should there be larger maps, bigger biomes?

Wynaut?

How will we gain aggro on monsters now that there are two or more of us in the same game?

Hound like creatures will need to chose who to attack almost randomly. Beefalo like creatures are fine. Maybe we should try spawning MacTusk huts closer to each other? Same with Tallbird nests, then make Tallbirds fight alongside others?

Can we share loot?

I would be sad otherwise. Privately testing this would help iron things out, so it shouldn't be the biggest concern yet.

Will Vargs now spawn in hound attacks?

Vargs are perfect for MP, however it would be lame if SP missed out simply because its SP. Maybe they should appear after awhile in MP, and only appear in SP if you live super long or something. You have better ideas on this than I do I am sure.

Will we need more World Customisation options?

Most likely. Server rules would do lots of justice.

How will sanity work? Will we be able to see our friends hallucinations even though we aren't going insane?

I love the thought of watching teammates slash at the air. My friend suggested that if a sane person kills a beardling, then it should drop a morsel for example. 

How will sleeping in tents work? If I go to sleep will the day skip for all of us?

Oh gosh. Maybe sleeping at night should speed up the clock? This allows people to run around, and you can stop sleeping as soon your meters are full. Mandrake might need to be nerfed unless everyone was near when you cooked it, and I guess tents could do this too. If one person cooks a mandrake, and there is someone off screen, maybe he should only sleep as long as other hostiles would.

Edit for more: 

Will each player now get their own Chester? 

On big worlds it would fun to find a pet for someone else, and carrying items shouldn't be a big problem anyway with 4 people. Maybe just two chesters?

Hopefully each party is restricted to max 4 (any more and things get too out of hand). So will having 4 Chesters in game be right?

I would love to test it and find out, but I don't have a reason to say no yet.

Will we be able to store our loot in a friends Chester? 

I think we should to begin with. It would be rather trolly to put a deerclops eyeball in a chester when someone wants it. I don't think the eye should be edible anymore.

If there are 4 Chesters shouldn't there be a 4th new type of Chester?

Well there isn't any benefit for the normal chester, and I don't really think he needs one. Waiting and gathering resources for the next full moon is good enough. But a new chester doesn't sound bad.

If things get scaled up in difficulty can Chester have the ability to attack? Maybe a paralysing Gastly Lick attack?

As much as I like the Gastly Lick thing, I don't think it would be right for chester. I truly don't think its right to amp the difficulty up so much, that even chester needs to fight back.

Should Chester have regeneration of health?

Yes. I wish more things regenerated health in fact. Slurpers are finite and don't heal themselves.

Should Chester come back to life when spawned? 

Yes, you could make the wait longer since it should be easier to transport items in MP anyway.

How will death work? If one player dies does the game end?

I believe that upon death, one of two things should happen. 

First off: You should be able to create the portal Wilson made in your own world. This can act as way to let current files connect to MP servers. Entering it is just like entering adventure; If you die in the other world, it kicks you back into your first world. The portal falls apart, and you got to spend the cheap resources to build another. This acts as a respawn timer, before you pop back into the world you died in.

Now, if you don't have a file set up and you want to jump right into multiplayer, something different happens. On death you have to choose a new character, and you spawn as that character. If you bury the skull of the old character, you re-unlock them. You can also change characters by using the sandbox teleportato, which will kick you back into the same world you used it in. Changing characters deletes all character items or breaks them, which remains broken until that character is back.

Also, changing characters through the teleportato should cause some minor penalty so people don't abuse the system. I have a unique plan that prevents players from forcing deaths just to change characters, but I will make a thread for that.

Can the dead player re join? 

In short, yes. Either after building another door or as a different character.

What do you think about player health/hunger/sanity bars? If we can see how high or low our friends health is we can share resources effectively without having to waste resources on someone who doesn't need it.

You would just have to watch the animations the characters display. Which means we need a animation for low health.

Can you really trust someone desperate to survive?

Maybe not publically.

@Deceiven trust is going to be a massive issue unless Klei have something in mind. I see no solution to stop some random dude smashing everything up and leaving, but then again I ain't a game developer.

Has anyone played Borderlands 2? How does online co-op work on that? You can team up with a friend and play the whole campaign together. Loot that is dropped is obtained on a "who can get to it first" basis. That's all I know. Maybe someone can explain how that works and relate it to Don't Starve, in terms of dying, carrying on playing if your friend leaves etc...

Edit: just reading the comment here shows exactly how much has to be changed to turn Don't Starve into Multiplayer. I can only image the work and costs that went into this project. This is big yo! This game was 100% not meant for multiplayer yet Klei are delivering.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I don't know if the idea has came up, but I had an idea on how deaths could be implemented, and how players could rejoin.

Key components: Meat effigies and touch stones are bound to the player who activates them, with exceptions listed below.

Essentially the idea is that when a player dies, with no effigy/stone to revive, he/she drops a skull with their name on it, and cannot join the game until something happens.

That something will be that living players could take the skull, and place it on an effigy, to allow the player to rejoin, which uses said meat statue. Of course, there needs to be a downside. Perhaps a cooldown? And maybe when an effigy has a player skull placed on it, the person who placed the skull must make a sort of self-sacrifice, to refill the statue with the life needed to revive the dead player. But hey, it's a magical statue made of meat and wood.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I don't know if the idea has came up, but I had an idea on how deaths could be implemented, and how players could rejoin.

Key components: Meat effigies and touch stones are bound to the player who activates them, with exceptions listed below.

Essentially the idea is that when a player dies, with no effigy/stone to revive, he/she drops a skull with their name on it, and cannot join the game until something happens.

That something will be that living players could take the skull, and place it on an effigy, to allow the player to rejoin, which uses said meat statue. Of course, there needs to be a downside. Perhaps a cooldown? And maybe when an effigy has a player skull placed on it, the person who placed the skull must make a sort of self-sacrifice, to refill the statue with the life needed to revive the dead player. But hey, it's a magical statue made of meat and wood.

I like the idea, but the only problem I can see is waiting on someone to revive you. What if they don't want to use up their revival stone or meat effigy? Personally I think if you don't have your own back covered and you die, you have a maximum time of 5 minutes for someone to revive you using your idea. After 5 minutes your run ends.

I like the idea, but the only problem I can see is waiting on someone to revive you. What if they don't want to use up their revival stone or meat effigy? Personally I think if you don't have your own back covered and you die, you have a maximum time of 5 minutes for someone to revive you using your idea. After 5 minutes your run ends.

Seems like a good idea. The timer would encourage people to play together, as it is in the name of the expansion, so that they can revive each other.  IMO, if the people someone is playing with don't think they are worthy of coming back or using a revival product, it's their choice, and a bit of a game of deciding whether ensuring their personal safety or that of the whole. Alternatively as a downside, both players involved in the reviving get a permanent -% of hp. I like your idea more. :wilson_goodjob:

I don't know if this has been suggested but I dont think it has.

For the touchstones perhaps one could revive each player once? but only if they themselves have activated it.

So if you have 4 players and one finds a touchstone and they activate it, it only works for them, and if they tell the others about it, they have to activate it for themselves.

But if someone dies and gets resurrected at the stone before another player activates it it gets spent and the touchstone is no more

Maybe rez with less health depending on how many players have activated the stone? So it encourages players to go out and find more

As for touchstone loot, maybe like one marble and/or one nightmare fuel per rez depending on how many people activated it? Like if 2 players are using one stone you get half the loot when one player gets resurrected, then the next rez the stone gets destroyed it will then drop the other half.

Another thing I forgot to mention is sanity gain from players. Personally I don't think it a good idea for us to leach sanity off each other, if we can, then make sanity gain very low. For all the obvious reasons Don't Starve will be way too easy and worrying about sanity will be a thing of the past.

I was thinking, if your sanity drops below a certain point, any player standing next to you or close to you, will start to lose sanity quicker. Basically at a certain sanity level you emit a sanity aura that drains others sanity.

That probably depends on DS engine if it can be tweaked to support actions in two worlds at same time or not. But if it can support several players at once, why not several worlds? That's up to Klei I think.

Klei can do it, i think.

But maybe would be some lag.

I dont know what deal we will have with the time.

Make a base is not too easy in a short time lapse, i hope we can save the worlds for play it later with friends.

And if we get pvp with RoG i just think in everybody in full moon going to the glommers place and fighting for the materials.

If someone gets it, say bye to your base, the bigfoot is coming...

So here's some of my concerns/ideas:

For players playing a certain world, would days on that world still be relevant? If it is relevant, would the day timer only move when at least one player is on the server and then freeze if there are no players?

If the last player leaves at nighttime and the world is stuck in nighttime until the next player comes on, perhaps players coming back onto the server should get a ray of light similar to emerging out of the underground caves which would give them enough time to make a fire before Charlie comes.

If the days are irrelevant, perhaps certain options can be put in place such as a certain amount of hounds attacking within a certain amount of days, the likelihood of the Deerclops/giants attacking (Depending if RoG is on the server), etc.

If RoG is implemented into the server, overheating and freezing could be a problem if a player leaves for a day or so and comes back in the middle of winter/summer unprepared because some player or players remained and played for hours on end, making the world progress to that season.

As for the spawn portal, perhaps a safe zone should be installed around it so players don't have to worry about starving/going insane/freezing/overheating/dying in darkness until they step outside it. This could prevent newer players from dying almost immediately after stepping foot onto that world, and once they step foot outside they don't receive that nullifying effect so they can't abuse it.

I'd also see that players can't build within a certain distance from the spawn portal so they could camp new players as soon as the stepped out of spawn.

Perhaps some servers, depending on their preferences, could give starting gear at spawn so players don't have to worry about freezing/overheating while they're trying to get basic supplies, similar to adventure mode when Maxwell gives you a basic amount of items in a chest

These are just a few of the ideas I thought of, let me know if they're alright or if I'm missing something crucial.

Now...

How we will down to the caves?

Separed worlds in the same time?

I dont know what deal we will have with the time.

Make a base is not too easy in a short time lapse, i hope we can save the worlds for play it later with friends.

And if we get pvp with RoG i just think in everybody in full moon going to the glommers place and fighting for the materials.

If someone gets it, say bye to your base, the bigfoot is coming...

I guess all ill have the same format,but,when the host goes to caves,he makes a,votation,if players are ready or not.

The same thing is the saving the world,maybe appers a mensage: "The server ill close in X seconds"

In the world generation i guess u can enable/disable the PvP,and i guess ill have only a glommer.

So let's play together in this summer sis? i'm rly exited :3

Sry,don't speak english very well

I guess all ill have the same format,but,when the host goes to caves,he makes a,votation,if players are ready or not.

The same thing is the saving the world,maybe appers a mensage: "The server ill close in X seconds"

In the world generation i guess u can enable/disable the PvP,and i guess ill have only a glommer.

So let's play together in this summer sis? i'm rly exited :3

Sry,don't speak english very well

You have my word, lets play this summer.

And one glommer is enough, at least for me.

I've read the comments about sleeping. The idea I like the most is a sleep animation. But there has to be an option to wake up at any time. After a while it'll get pretty boring lying there for however many minutes. There are 2 options I have right now.

1. Cancel sleep. While sleeping you regain sanity based on a +value/min. At any time the player can choose to wake up. Downside is you lose that huge sanity boost normally gained from tents, straw rolls etc...give you and it uses up one use as normal.

2. Play a small mini game. Maybe like...A herd of beefalo are moving past the screen. Your task is to click on the beefalo with red butts. Their movement increases gradually over time. Lame I know but I'm struggling for ideas here.

Tbh this is a tough one. I guess OOO already have this covered. I just hope things in Don't Starve which make Don't Starve, Don't Starve, aren't taken out for Multiplayer.

Tbh this is a tough one. I guess OOO already have this covered. I just hope things in Don't Starve which make Don't Starve, Don't Starve, aren't taken out for Multiplayer.

What?

Archived