How to Rebalance Don't Starve for Multiplayer? Console Commands Yes/No? page 16

Sleeping mechanic.

Ah. Would it be a bad idea if they chose Minecraft's way of dealing with sleep in multiplayer?

To skip the night, all players in the overworld must be in bed at the same time.

Ah. Would it be a bad idea if they chose Minecraft's way of dealing with sleep in multiplayer?

Genius. I hope @JoeW is reading these comments.

Edit: if I may. There is one flaw. Tents/straw rolls etc...are used for obviously restoring sanity. What if everyone else doesn't need a sanity boost and are reluctant to waste one "use"? Well I think there should be an option for the player that wants to sleep to invite others to share the "sleeping item" and only the player who invites uses one "use" of such item.

I have an idea concerning Hounds:

They would come at the same times as in singleplayer, but each player has to face their own pack.

If they decide to stick together, the players will be attacked by a doubled amount of Hounds.

I can only imagine the PvP shenanigans one could cause by leading their Hounds to the opposing player's base.

I'm actually thinking based on all the comments I read in this thread http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36216-dont-starve-multiplayer-pvp-yes-or-no/ that having PvP is not a good idea. Don't Starve Multiplayer should stick to it's roots as a survival game about surviving in a world with others not against others.

I guess if in a team, player crafted traps shouldn't trigger when a team member steps/interacts/comes close to it. But then it would be fun to stop someone being greedy and taking your hard earned resources. Hence why I like the option and voted for option 2. Kind of in two minds here.

Also amongst the comments I forgot about this point. What to do when a friend leaves your game and doesn't come back: here's a comment I made earlier;

"I sort of hinted this in my thread here, when I mentioned what happens if a friend decides to leave, do we carry on and do all the work until he comes back? Or do we all stop playing seeing as Multiplayer will be balanced for team play, I can only guess it will be tough to try and survive alone.

So technically someone can join you at day 1 play with you till day 2 for example, leave, then you're stuck playing that game alone until he decides to join again at day 50 for example? Not sure how to solve this one. Klei have probably thought of a solution, if not then might as well play Single player."

Yes, because I hear that minecraft players hate that. I think if someone sleeps, the clock goes slightly faster while their meters raise. If everyone falls asleep it skips a day.

I believe in Minecraft that the server saves on the host's harddrive therefore your friends can only play on it when the host is online and playing the game. So I wonder if Klei will make this a feature for Multiplayer in Don't Starve?

Many people have been talking about locking/keeping stuff private. To me that doesn't sound all that appealing. Don't Starve would be ruined, in my opinion if people were reluctant to share, and keep all the nightmare fuel to themselves. For leaving the server, it should go on! you don't have to wait for the other person, if they leave then guess what? It just became a singleplayer world, and if they decide to hop on again you can play together. Plus PVP should be enabled to keep options open, it's like some people don't even want the option of fighting, which is fine, but to the rest of us who do want those options, don't close the doors on us just because you don't want to fight.

All in all I believe any option you want should still be there because i'm sure there is going to be at least one person out there who wants that playstyle.

Honestly I prefer the idea of the original Don't starve world being explored with your group of 2-4. Rather than amping up difficulty to try and balance the game, you should look at it from the perspective of the team. What feeling would better than the catharsis of defeating the world one issue at a time with your dearest comrades. Of course this doesn't mean the issues will always be world created, say somebody accidentally angers a spider queen and gets themselves horribly slaughtered. Such a sight would not be very pleasant to witness, in fact it could be quite traumatizing. Not to mention experiencing such a feat wouldn't leave you in the best mental condition, especially if a friend decided to return you to the world of the living, who has ever heard of somebody coming back to life in a condition anything better than critical.

While that would be all fine and dandy with more friends by your side, that would leave the natural hostile wildlife feeling threatened, so they would definitely try to up the anti with their own growing numbers, and perhaps even get a little TOO adventurous if their numbers keep increasing. Just imagine Jim, Sam, Kim, and Dom all sitting around the fire pit one night trying not to think of the fact that there is little to no clean food for them to eat, when suddenly the spiders they have been ignoring start coming to purify their homeland from the human scourge. Sam dies and the spiders still seek blood, until morning comes around, sending the once attackers retreating back to the safety of their nests, All the survivors have left is a dead friend, some silk, about 20 monster meat and a few wounds. Jim begins reviving the Sam with the teams last few berries, rocks and finest spidery silks, while Kim spends her day scavenging for things to cleanse the pile of tainted spider meat they came across in hopes to keep the team filled for just one more night. Dom on the other hand thought it would be funny to take a little revenge on the spiders, but after seeing his friend become nothing more than a pile of items after the spiders invasion, he was not exactly mentally prepared to deal with any spiders... let alone his shadows. Weeks pass and they barely survive on their their rations of food and sheer perseverance, until one night the ice box was empty. The berries have not regrown and all the carrots in a 50km radius have been consumed, the survivors scatter in an insane search for food, one by one they starve or perish to the environment, until the final two survivors meet. Desperate for food they gaze at each other, but don't see a friend, merely a meal. You would have to be insane to eat another person, but you would have to be REALLY insane if you didn't know it was a person at all.

tl;dr

Food is even more scarce with more people.

Having friends can be good to stabilise your mentality, but it can also diminish it if something were to happen.

Spiders feel threatened by more people.

Basically the more people you add the harder the world will be to survive in anyway. Another mouth isn't always equal to another set of hands. 

One thing that I'm wondering about are moggles. Usually, since you're able to see with them, they protect you from Charlie. If one person is wearing them and can see other players who are otherwise in complete darkness, will Charlie be able to attack them, or will the moggle-wearer's sight be enough to protect other people too?

If Charlie can still attack the people who can't see, then the moggle-wearer will either see Charlie (which I doubt will happen) or Charlie will be invisible. But even if Charlie can't attack, atleast the high sanity drain due to being in complete darkness will make it a bad idea to just have one person wearing them while the others are quickly going insane.

One thing that I'm wondering about are moggles. Usually, since you're able to see with them, they protect you from Charlie. If one person is wearing them and can see other players who are otherwise in complete darkness, will Charlie be able to attack them, or will the moggle-wearer's sight be enough to protect other people too?

If Charlie can still attack the people who can't see, then the moggle-wearer will either see Charlie (which I doubt will happen) or Charlie will be invisible. But even if Charlie can't attack, atleast the high sanity drain due to being in complete darkness will make it a bad idea to just have one person wearing them while the others are quickly going insane.

I guess things will work for you and you alone. If I were to wear moggles and you see me wandering off into the darkness, you'll have to remain in the light.

Charlie doesn't like being seen, so she wouldn't attack if one player has Moggles on him.

"I guess things will work for you and you alone. If I were to wear moggles and you see me wandering off into the darkness, you'll have to remain in the light."

To expand on what I said earlier, with another player wearing moggles and having the ability to see in the dark, not affecting you. Just picture it for a second, the anxiety, fear and feeling of loneliness of seeing your friend wandering off into the darkness not knowing what might get at him would be......an awesome experience! To us it will look as if he vanished into the darkness. Obviously to him with wearing the moggles he can see everything. I'm already getting goosebumps.

I can't really see much changes that need to be done to characters in game for Multiplayer. I may be wrong and you guys might have some suggestions.

One point to discuss is Webber. Obviously he can befriend spiders. So will those spiders be passive or aggressive to party members. It seems obvious they will be aggressive so will that mean having Webber or using his spider loving abilities in a team, be far too hazardous to everyone?

I can't really see much changes that need to be done to characters in game for Multiplayer. I may be wrong and you guys might have some suggestions.

One point to discuss is Webber. Obviously he can befriend spiders. So will those spiders be passive or aggressive to party members. It seems obvious they will be aggressive so will that mean having Webber or using his spider loving abilities in a team, be far too hazardous to everyone?

I'd say the spiders should be friendly to other characters untill the moment they leave from Webber (or if the player using Webber attacks a party member). The spiders might aswell tolerate the other party members since they are being fed and their master isn't being harmed by them. However, other followers that dislike spiders will most likely still clash with Webber and his spider companions if they get too close to one another, something to keep in mind for both parties.

If Webber's spiders would attack fellow party members it would make him less useful in a party, he either has to go solo when he does or not befriend spiders at all.

@Spazmatic hmm....In that case "IF" there is team killing in PvE, then Webber could be the most OP character in multiplayer.

*Wilson crafts Spear*

Webber; "You even think about touching me with that Spear, you shall face the wrath of my little buddies."

Spider Minions; "Gaaakkkkhhhh!!!"

Wilson; "..."

@Spazmatic hmm....In that case "IF" there is team killing in PvE, then Webber could be the most OP character in multiplayer.

*Wilson crafts Spear*

Webber; "You even think about touching me with that Spear, you shall face the wrath of my little buddies."

Spider Minions; "Gaaakkkkhhhh!!!"

Wilson; "..."

Indeed, he has the potential to be rather deadly in a PvP setting, especially early game. Maybe there could be a limited amount of spider minions Webber can have at a time that goes up the more days go by? Since you start with the means to befriend 2 spiders, I'm thinking to start with a maximum of 2-3 spidery followers that goes up by one every 7-10 days or so(or potentially a different value). This way you cannot overrun the other party members in the early game, whilst still being able to make a nice little army later on.

I didn't read all of the post's here but... i think it would be easier if you just add a world customisation option to make enemy's harder to kill or make them deal more dmg to the player, the creator of the room should place this options and the ppl then decide if play that world or just try to find another one with less dificulty. when ure looking for a room to play, the game should show you the option's that the owner selected.
It's gonna be for the best for veteran player or new player's.

And for the friendly fire... you can make it only happen if the player have become really insane, in the game of course lol (?)

I thought of another way to make things interesting in multiplayer. Earlier I suggested possibility of seeing another insane player's hallucinations while being insane yourself, thus being able to fight shadow monsters together. Now that I think about it, that would not make things very balanced... So I offer another unique aspect - while player is completely insane he starts seeing other players as hallucinations as well. Just change player's sprites with shadow monsters one. Of course seeing how that "monster" moves and attacks will probably allow to guess quite easily where is the real monsters and where are other players, but it certainly will add more chaos and confusion while being insane. You'll be able to help your friend fighting insanity monsters, but you'll have to guess which one is actually a monster and remain cautious not to hurt your ally.

Archived