Burned to death after eating 1 meaty stew.

I used to live of chicken soup and while I may have burnt my tongue a few times, I never finished it and then had to lie in front of the AC before I sweat to death. The fact that I ate 1 meaty stew and immediately started overheating enough for my health to drain in seconds seems kind of... really stupid to me, to be honest. I get the idea, but I honestly think it doesn't add anything to the game.

Certain foods increasing/lowering temperatures is nice, but eating a meaty stew and having all the health it gave back immediately drained away just makes it a pain in the ***.

Also, eating soup/stew in the summer hydrates you and makes you sweat, sweating cools you down. 

Its really annoying when Im starving to death in the winter and I end up overheating and dying by eating it. The bodies internal temperature is 98 degrees Fahrenheit anyway, so even if it did burn your tongue after the stew reaches your throat  temperature isnt a problem.

It doesnt overheat you if you stick it in the fridge for awhile though, but doesnt that kind of defeats the purpose of having it warm you up anyway if the heat is negated entirely by that?

Its confusing

EDIT: "Death by hot soup" doesn't sound too good on an obituary because its ridiculous

I think it's just a matter of opinion. If we were in the desert, would we cook ourselves a hot meaty stew ? I don't think so. Well summer right now is pretty much like being in the desert, since we can overheat pretty easily. I think the idea was to make us adapt our food source to the seasons, instead of always going for the OP meaty stew/honey ham. I don't think that the temperature raise is there to represent us burning up our tongue, but rather the fact that it will make us feel hotter. I don't think the ''sweating argument'' really works here. As we all know, the body of the characters in Don't Starve aren't able to cool down enough during the hot summer by themselves because it's too hot. That's why we need ice cubes, endothermal firepit, etc. If we eat something really hot, we are asking our character's body to cool down even more, which is impossible because it's already doing all it can and it's not enough.

However, we now have a reason to make them during winter: it is hot and will help us stay warm. I think that even during winter, if we were sitting 2 inches away from a huge fire for hours, carrying a really hot thermal stone while being dressed from head to toe, we would already find it too hot to sustain. Eating a large amount of hot meaty stew can result in the same consequence as during summer. I was more than once overdressed for the temperature it was doing outside during winter, and and I was sweating just the same as during summer (where I come from, it's winter 4 to 6 months per year).

In all honesty, though, we can still eat them during summer, I have never had any problem whatsoever and I've been eating honey ham a lot during all seasons. If you can't cool off because of a meaty stew, how do you survive throughout summer ? Since it raises your temperature, you can easily wear the ice cube or light an endothermal fire to compensate and call it a day. I know it must be frustrating to die of overheating because you ate a meaty stew, but I would rather die this way than because I forgot to put on my armor while fighting a giant. It's less glorious, but way more entertaining !

Edit: I like @Doomfan64 's idea: perhaps the food should naturally cool down over time after it's been cooked. It could also cool down faster if you put it in the icebox. That would make things easier, while keeping it somewhat useful, i.e. you can cook yourself a hot meaty stew during winter and eat it right away to heat up a bit, or wait for it to cool down before eating it during summer.

This whole food overheating aspect definitely lends weight to the argument for having a temperature meter similar to the others.  Before it was a pretty smooth transition along the temperature scale.  Now it can be really abrupt, and to aggravate the situation it is very counterintuitive that food that's been in the icebox still heats the player.  I'm kind of surprised Klei isn't taking more flak on that from the "this doesn't make sense!" crowd.

It's a little strange to die from overheating in the winter, but I've also had freezing in the summer from just holding a chilled thermal stone. :s

I just assumed it was a bug but I guess this says otherwise. 

But I've found in the situation of overheating in winter, I just had to move away from my firepit because I guess the overheating came from a combination of the fire pit and hot food? 

It's a little strange to die from overheating in the winter, but I've also had freezing in the summer from just holding a chilled thermal stone. :s

I just assumed it was a bug but I guess this says otherwise. 

But I've found in the situation of overheating in winter, I just had to move away from my firepit because I guess the overheating came from a combination of the fire pit and hot food? 

I hope is a bug, dying from heatstroke in the arctic isnt heard of unless you're incredibly sick and your fever is through the roof (and then maybe lighting yourself on fire a little). And since sickness inst a part of the game then it shouldn't happen at all. Same for Freezing in summer, you can touch dry ice for a short while without even feeling the cold because the body regulates your temperature to a point, so sudden spikes in cold that go away as soon as they came shouldn't do anything at all.

I hope is a bug, dying from heatstroke in the arctic isnt heard of unless you're incredibly sick and your fever is through the roof (and then maybe lighting yourself on fire a little). And since sickness inst a part of the game then it shouldn't happen at all. Same for Freezing in summer, you can touch dry ice for a short while without even feeling the cold because the body regulates your temperature to a point, so sudden spikes in cold that go away as soon as they came shouldn't do anything at all.

I should sure hope so unless it's just a Maxwell thing. Because that's the only player I've had it happen with. I mean it's spurred a lot of jokes for me and my Skype group but I'm not entirely sure how to find out if it's a bug though? 

Call me crazy, but I really like this mechanic. The moment I ate a dragon pie during spring and overheated, I didn't know about the feature, and simply smiled, it felt really intuitive. And now I'm eating meaty stews / pies in winter, and ice cream / lollypops in summer.

Yeah, it IS very silly (death by lollypop induced freezing) but we are talking about a game where one gets butter by killing butterflies. And it is a little too extreme, I think eating ice cream reduces your temperature by 20 degrees, 20!!!

The only really annoyance to this is that Wilson doesn't warns you when his temperature is getting too extreme. Silly Wilson, pretending to be tough.

EDIT: Also, food could get a "cold" prefix when put on an ice box (cold meaty stew, cold bacon and eggs)

Ehh, this game has gone into details, now! I'm no pro in programming, but am thinking to make all those details to be in a mod, say a lot more trees, which you can Harvest without chopping down, New recipes (drinking items from a different "machine" than Crock pot), More loot from mobs (More meat, new items/items that they didn't previously drop, Bones; enough loot to have almost the bits and pieces of the whole thing dead, really), harder to craft items (requiring more and new items), Rebalancing stuff (Armor, weaponry etc.), New biomes, New mobs (e.g. Meerfox, Hedgehog, Owl (Haven't really worked on the idea of improving Hedgehog and Owl)), New worlds (New adventure mode worlds, Underwater world, Third level of Caving), New stuff to be able to do (e.g. Swim in the Ocean/Sea), New craftables, New parameters that you need to be aware of (e.g. Energy, Thirstiness, Filth meter etc.), Being able to hold on to more things on your body (e.g. Being able to carry Backpack, a Vest, Medalion and Armor all in different Slots, yet still wearing them), More and new setpieces (e.g. Lureplant farm), New food items (e.g. Potato, Tomatoes etc.) So stuff like that.

I absolutely don't like the meaty stew heat idea. While it makes sense from a very vague realism standard, it makes using meaty stew for testing purposes(I.E so your chara doesn't starve in the middle of it) a bad idea, not to mention what Mr. Tiddles is mentioning here.

Also @The Letter W , Yes, the thermal stone extreme temperature change is a bug.

a very vague realism standard

Apart from the fact that having hot food in the summer (Here, a hot chicken salad or some soup is the best thing in the summer) helps cool you down. Even more so than ice cream.

Apart from the fact that having hot food in the summer (Here, a hot chicken salad or some soup is the best thing in the summer) helps cool you down. Even more so than ice cream.

While we're on that topic, does eating ice cool you down? If it doesn't, it totally should. And I call it very vague because it only applies to THAT one food. That, and it's always piping hot.

While we're on that topic, does eating ice cool you down? If it doesn't, it totally should. And I call it very vague because it only applies to THAT one food. That, and it's always piping hot.

Ice does cool you down.

the foods that affect temperature have a tag stating how much the temperature changes

and another for temperature duration (I assume it is how long after eating it the character suffers from the effect)

The durations are either brief (5) average (10) or Long (15)

It seems that any temperature change from foods is only temporary

HOT Foods -

Stuffed Egplant - brief

Dragonpie - average

Honey Ham - average

Turkey dinner - average

Meaty stew - long

Hot Chili - long

COLD foods

Fruit Medly - brief

Watermeloncicle - average

Ice Cream - long

whats recipe for ice cream?

the foods that affect temperature have a tag stating how much the temperature changes

and another for temperature duration (I assume it is how long after eating it the character suffers from the effect)

The durations are either brief (5) average (10) or Long (15)

It seems that any temperature change from foods is only temporary

HOT Foods -

Stuffed Egplant - brief

Dragonpie - average

Honey Ham - average

Turkey dinner - average

Meaty stew - long

Hot Chili - long

COLD foods

Fruit Medly - brief

Watermeloncicle - average

Ice Cream - long