Wargs part of Hound Attacks - multiplayer balance idea included OPTION 4

Should Wargs accompany Hounds during a Hound Attack?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

The Bearger comes to mind. Give him the ability to destroy tooth traps with his AOE. Nightmare fuel :) or, give the Varg said ability.

But why would a bear want to lead hounds? That's like saying a lion should lead hyenas. (Lion king doesn't count)

He doesn't have to be leading, its about the sheer terror / panic this would cause when you run to your hound death trap field only to see it evaporate before your eyes :) Like I said, you could give a tooth trap destruction ability to the Varg as well.

He doesn't have to be leading, its about the sheer terror / panic this would cause when you run to your hound death trap field only to see it evaporate before your eyes :) Like I said, you could give a tooth trap destruction ability to the Varg as well.

Well it's a good idea, but not something I'm going for here. You have to consider

1. Does it makes sense

2. How challenging will it make the game

3. Will it make the game more tense and unexpecting

Vargs and Hounds are already mixed together in game through tracking, so having them mix with Hounds in hound attacks isn't anything out of the blue. Vargs kind of resemble a larger uglier hound, so again it ticks the right boxes.

Challenge wise will depend on how early or late we get them spawning with Hounds. Some of you guys want then earlier some later. So I'm torn between the two.

The chance of a Varg spawning in hound attacks definitely adds to the tense and unexpecting nature of Don't Starve. If we don't see that then surely look at it from a newcomers point of view. Experiencing my first hound attack was something I will never forget. I thought I activated another Maxwell trap :)

I think it would make perfect sense for the Varg to be able to destroy the traps as the "hound leader". He is obviously larger and meant to be more of a concern. Balance wise you can always change how frequently the attacks come to give more breathing room if it is needed. Right now though it seems like Klei has ruled out all possibilties of these types of things even being implented until another possible DLC sadly.

I think it would make perfect sense for the Varg to be able to destroy the traps as the "hound leader". He is obviously larger and meant to be more of a concern. Balance wise you can always change how frequently the attacks come to give more breathing room if it is needed. Right now though it seems like Klei has ruled out all possibilties of these types of things even being implented until another possible DLC sadly.

Letting him destroy traps is an interesting idea, but to make things clear - let the destroyed traps drop their resources. For example if my 20-30 traps minefield was wasted by one warg, that'll happily return to try crunching on my bones three days later, I think i'd feel... quite irritated. It will be annoying enough remaking all traps, so people will want to try dealing with him without using tooth traps.

Well true I guess. Still no point in giving up. If it's an idea the majority likes and the developers feel it's right for their game, anything is possible.

It seems to me that people which have an opinion about this also tend to have reasons for said opinions and everybody feels their point of view is the right one. Whatever will be the outcome, the others will be pissed off. Ideally the absolute best thing would be to have an option, but not an option that is tied to a menu. There is no point in opening the ol' game design debate pros and cons for this and that, we're definitely not experts at this because we're not devs ( but then again, as gamers, well, that's yet another topic ) but in my opinion something like boards + monster meat + hound teeth gives you a something that you plant in the ground, not unlike a pig head or a merm head. A trophy adorned with hound teeth and meat. That would in turn make hound behaviour towards you more aggresive, even having a Varg leading the pack. Of course, if this would be a thing people will say well then why can't make a insert favourite mob - head.

edit : these trophies, of course, you would be able to burn them with fire for added, instant effect ( or impending disaster ). tie-in with summer mechanics? check.

Late game Hounds attack are probably the thing I like the least in Don't Starve. Wargs would be OK if they were attacking instead of Hounds (some/most of them), not additionally to them.

I particularly like @The Letter W idea which I added as Edit 2, the option to customize your world so Vargs spawn in hound attacks or not.

Actually, that's the most reasonable course of action, and if they're working on that mythical world gen screen anyways maybe we could get even more options. Hint hint.

Late game Hounds attack are probably the thing I like the least in Don't Starve. Wargs would be OK if they were attacking instead of Hounds (some/most of them), not additionally to them.

How do you mean? You want to stop hound attacks and instead have Varg attacks? That would be crazy hard :)

i think he was talking about a value for the varg, like varg=10 hounds, if the next wave should spawn 30 hounds, it will spawn 1 varg and 20 hounds

Maybe. He might have been agreeing with my suggestion earlier about having 1 Varg replace 2 hounds. Similar to what you are saying. Bit hard to tell though.

You probably know this already but the max number of hounds that spawn in hound attacks is 10. But I get your example.

As far as I know Klei want to hear our ideas on balancing multiplayer. If you have an idea how to rebalance Don't Starve please share it here http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36103-how-to-rebalance-dont-starve-for-multiplayer/

If you like this idea and think it will fit in well with Multiplayer in a 2-4 man team please leave a like and vote.

Personally now that Multiplayer is coming out I think Vargs should spawn earlier, with a higher chance and drop special loot. 2-4 players vs early and even late hound attacks is going to be a joke.

Thoughts?

The idea is good and all, but the wargs are already very powerful. Getting a random wave with 4-6 hounds + warg can be devastating since the warg can spawn new hounds 'till it dies.

However! If you as a player can get "punished" for killing hounds or destroying houndpits then they more or less had it coming.

For example: You walk around in the desert and come over a bundle of hound spawns. To save yourself some trouble in the future, you gather up supplies and kill every single one of them. An invisible meter is filled up while doing this If it reaches the top (the same way as Crampus), the next hound attack will take a little while longer before they spawn, and maybe even have a little bit of more noise, like a heads-up that this pack contains a warg.

TL;DR: Warg in hound attacks will be determined by how many hounds you've killed or houndpits you've destroyed.

Maybe this will make the idea a wee bit less unfair for players who aren't ready for a sudden warg-attack.

Sidenote: I've never managed to kill a warg just by the fact that it spawns a shitload of hounds, I even had most of the best                                      weaponry and armory and still got my ass handed to me...

The idea is good and all, but the wargs are already very powerful. Getting a random wave with 4-6 hounds + warg can be devastating since the warg can spawn new hounds 'till it dies.

However! If you as a player can get "punished" for killing hounds or destroying houndpits then they more or less had it coming.

For example: You walk around in the desert and come over a bundle of hound spawns. To save yourself some trouble in the future, you gather up supplies and kill every single one of them. An invisible meter is filled up while doing this If it reaches the top (the same way as Crampus), the next hound attack will take a little while longer before they spawn, and maybe even have a little bit of more noise, like a heads-up that this pack contains a warg.TL;DR: Warg in hound attacks will be determined by how many hounds you've killed or houndpits you've destroyed.

Maybe this will make the idea a wee bit less unfair for players who aren't ready for a sudden warg-attack.

Sidenote: I've never managed to kill a warg just by the fact that it spawns a shitload of hounds, I even had most of the best                                      weaponry and armory and still got my ass handed to me...

Yeah but what if this was added into Don't Starve Together? Wouldn't having an extra "pair of hands" make my suggestion easier?

But what would you do if RoG is off in MP ?

This is too confusing right now. @JoeW said that Don't Starve Together would be a seperate experience to Don't Starve single player. So I'm not sure RoG will even be included in Multiplayer seeing as RoG is paid and Multiplayer will be free to everyone who has the game.

So I'm guessing any suggestions will be added to Don't Starve Together regardless.

This is too confusing right now. @JoeW said that Don't Starve Together would be a seperate experience to Don't Starve single player. So I'm not sure RoG will even be included in Multiplayer seeing as RoG is paid and Multiplayer will be free to everyone who has the game.

So I'm guessing any suggestions will be added to Don't Starve Together regardless.

Or maybe if the 4 have RoG you can play it, but if not you can't.

Archived