Tips on defeating the autumn giant?

Guys, I'm having the same problem with Bearger. I mean, a boss with 2000 health on day 15? That destroys structures and uses AoE attacks to kill a beefalo herd instantly? Are you kidding me?

Well, I'm playing as Webber. Luckily I had a backup after he destroyed everything

I currently have a mass of ponds with frogs nearish to my base, a tier 3 spider den, a tier one spider den near the ponds, about 6 beefalo, a football helmet, a spear, and a fire staff. please help  :wilson_resigned:

I had a hard time defeating Bearger. I gotta admit though, I'm useless at kiting.

I just cannot get the timing right and spent the entire fight landing two hits, getting my hambat smacked halfway across the screen, running back to get it, and repeat.

Perhaps it's the funky AI but I found he didn't really charge and since I was back and forth grabbing my hambat every 5 seconds, I guess I was going in and out of aggro range? (Possibly how I avoided his ground slam attack thing)

But I couldn't dodge the swipes at all.

I'm wondering though can someone confirm if un-equipping your weapon and re-equipping it between his strikes works to avoid having the 'fetch the hambat' mini-game going on during the boss battle?

Failing that, has anyone got any video of kiting him? 

I just cannot get the timing right and spent the entire fight landing two hits, getting my hambat smacked halfway across the screen, running back to get it, and repeat.

Like I mentioned before, you have to watch what he does.  It's basically a 2-2-1 pattern with variation.  When you first dodge in to provoke his attack, if he takes a standing swipe at you, then plan on coming back for two hits and running away.  If on the other hand he does his stomp attack where he is on all fours, only come in for one hit and immediately run because as soon as he stands up he will get a swipe in.  He does more standing swipes than stomps, but the pattern varies.

Review:

If you dodged a standing swipe, go back in for 2 hits.

If you dodged a stomp, go back in for 1 hit.

He never charged me either so I don't know about that part.  Once you can kite him most of the time the disarming is fairly trivial.

@Skorp

I spent so much time getting my ruin items, there was no way I would avoid a fight with him. However, I now have to wait a full three months to have a chance at fighting him again. This makes me sad, but if he had kicked my butt up and down instead in a fight that didn't include him trying to return to the ocean, then it would of been fun at least.

@brummbar7

I thought only the Goose Moose knocked a weapon out of your hand. I don't think I how every attack the bear used knocked a weapon out, what makes his charge different from the rook or ancient guardian? And Deerclops' swipe doesn't knock weapons out of my hands either. Though I loved watching the bear walk around on all fours and all of his other animations, I wasn't impressed with what he was doing. Mostly because he was being a annoying Deerclops + Rook + Goose Moose. He ran into my base and didn't steal any food because he was always charging, so I want to say his only real problem is the funky AI.

Guys, I'm having the same problem with Bearger. I mean, a boss with 2000 health on day 15? That destroys structures and uses AoE attacks to kill a beefalo herd instantly? Are you kidding me?

Well, I'm playing as Webber. Luckily I had a backup after he destroyed everything

I currently have a mass of ponds with frogs nearish to my base, a tier 3 spider den, a tier one spider den near the ponds, about 6 beefalo, a football helmet, a spear, and a fire staff. please help  :wilson_resigned:

My base was a lot like yours, and I had an easy time killing him because I used 2 Rock Lobsters to aggro him and keep him by the frog ponds then I would kite frogs to go attak him ( hit a frog, run to the bearger with all frogs chasing me)

Rock Lobster go into their rock shells and he stay near them swiping at the lobsters. If you are lucky enough to find a rock lobster near your underground entrance (usually easy for me but someone in thi thread had a hard time with spiders) then i suggest you go find at least 2 and bring them to "root" the bear in place so he stops destroying your base and alllows you to bring in stuff to kill him,\.

Since the Bearger only wants your food, and wont directly agro to you, one thing I did was to backpack all my food and place down a trail of berries, luring him to a head of beefalo (Picking them up before he gets to close and eats them). Once in the middle of them, I just attack him once, forcing him to swipe at me, hit the beefalo, and boom, mauled to death xD

This also works well for tooth traps as well. just place down a whole bunch of food, and he will just stand in the middle of them, munching away and getting spiked :p

VERY IMPORTANT THOUGH: WHEN THE BEARGER IS CHARGING, THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE THE TOOTH TRAPS WONT GO OFF, DONT LET HIM CHARGE YOU.

Additional tip: ONLY FIGHT HIM ON ROADS

Will Bearger eat all food available (ie: on the ground and in chests), then leave?  Or will he keep hanging out? 

Where there is food, Bearger will come. He knocks stuff out of your chests/ice boxes, aswell as knocking over berry bushes and farms.

After that he will just roam a bit more, usually finding something to smack, and feed on.

My last two worlds have started in autumn and both times the bearger. Both times he has died with me mostly running away from him, with the occasional poke with a weapon to make him follow

First time I took him through two set pieces, pig guarding a berry farm and four random pigs, both next to each other, then into a swamp. The second tentacle killed him.

Second time I took him into a rocky biome with about a dozen teir two/three spider nests. Lost most if his meat, but I will never need to hunt for silk again, he also mined some rocks for me.

I am finding the Goose Moose harder, not to kill, a village of pigs did that, but the mooslings are so hard to kill. Big pack, fast attack and I couldn't get anything to agro onto them.

Well... He kept charging and knocking my weapon out, making fighting him impossible. He didn't lose aggro until I died, when he destroyed my base for food. With nothing left to loose I took one last try and died.

I am sad now.

Archived