Webber notes

I'm not sure about Webber at the moment.

His beard ability is trivial except if it protects from the cold like you said, then it's quite a big +. But getting silk is soo easy that it's not really an issue. I mean common, 6 silk every 16 days ? Useless...

His ability to eat monster meat is trivial because since you still loose sanity and he has a really low sanity,  you still won't want to do it anyways.

Finally, his "big" advantage is the fact that he can raise a spider army, which is awsome. But the spiders eat all of you're meat and it makes it really hard to get food which is not cool. It's also really hard to befriend spiders since you can only do it at night. I'd like to be able to befriend YELLOW spiders and raise a huge yellow spider army. Finally, pigs aggro you at like the edge of the screen and will almost pursue you to their deaths. I died on the first day spawning next to two pigs... Also, pigs can help you farm wood so much faster and it is bad that you don't get that bonus when playing as webber... Overall, my thought is just that if spiders are not as good followers as pigs or rabbits, why the hell would you want to play as webber except for the fact that the followers are permanent ?

Finally, the fact the spiders and spider queens are neutrals is barely a bonus. They are by far the easiest monsters/boss in the game

The fact that they attack chester and gloomer is also ridiculous. It would be a nice debuff if spiders were even more usefull and could aid you in doing tasks or anything, but as it stands now, it's just a pain

I'd suggest to either have following spiders not attack gloomer and chester and not eat meat on the ground or give you a small delay to pick it up. Another option would be to leave it as is but make spiders generally more usefull when playing as webber like allow them to slowly help you mine trees and rocks. Maybe as webber you could also befriend spider queen by giving them like 10 spider glans. Or make spiders drop special materials when you feed them. Maybe you could even have the ability to hide in a spider den and if it gets attacked all of the spiders would attack your enemy.

I just wish his special ability to have spiders follow you around had something special to it and more usefull. I want to like him but I really don't know if I will because every cool ability he brings to the table, seems to letdown something I dearly enjoy in the game. To make matters worse, anybody can "mimic" his special ability with a spider queen hat...

EDIT : Added a bunch of corrections and ideas

First of all, them attacking chester and glommer is not intended and is only a oversight.

The only things i think needs to be tweaked about webber is his low sanity and spiders eating meat off the ground. Everyone knows the spiderhat eventually breaks and can only be obtained again from killing a spider queen. Spider queen easiest boss? Nope. Treeguard is easiest boss. Just kite it. If you want spider armies easily, set them to lots. I agree with you on the monster meat thing though, there really is no point with such low sanity. Getting silk is so easy? Not for everyone. I never find any silk these days unless i set spiders to more or lots.

Yeah, I'm confused as to why Webber's a good character to play as. Not being attacked by spiders is okay, but RoG itself devalued that, seeing that spiders are a lot rarer in it. Eating monster meat? That could be good, if he didn't lose sanity with it. He already goes insane really easily? A silk beard? That's *alright*, but that ability really fails in comparison to all the other cool stuff the characters get. Spider followers that wreck your helpful things (Chester, Glommer, meat) in exchange for all of the common (and way more useful) mobs going after you is NOT a good trade at all, really. He needs something more to him, I don't know what.

If you really don't care about this being updated, you can use console commands to change his max sanity to change this. Chester and glommer being attacked is a oversight. I wish at least the catcoons didnt attack you on sight...

In webber's prefab file, it says that he "triggerscreep = false", which is why the spiders don't come out to investigate him.

But it is also why he doesn't get slowed down by it. So if you set that to true, the spiders will investigate him, but he will also be slowed down.

In webber's prefab file, it says that he "triggerscreep = false", which is why the spiders don't come out to investigate him.

But it is also why he doesn't get slowed down by it. So if you set that to true, the spiders will investigate him, but he will also be slowed down.

Is there a way to edit the files so everything in the world doesnt attack him?

It would cause the spiders to attack him.

For what we want, we'd need 3 new calls. (I think)

One for the spiders to investigate him, another for him to not lose sanity from "monster" foods,

and another to stop animals from attacking him on sight. (the last of which isn't what I want, but meh)

It would cause the spiders to attack him.

For what we want, we'd need 3 new calls. (I think)

One for the spiders to investigate him, another for him to not lose sanity from "monster" foods,

and another to stop animals from attacking him on sight. (the last of which isn't what I want, but meh)

I want things like catcoons to not attack you, but i think the pigs and bunnymen attacking you should stay.

I want things like catcoons to not attack you, but i think the pigs and bunnymen attacking you should stay.

You'll have to modify catcoons then. Remove the code that causes them to identify monsters as enemies.

You can't do it that easily, because then they'd never attack monsters. Seth showed me some code, I can hook you up with it. I'll edit the details into this post.

Go to here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\data\DLC0001\scripts\prefabs

Open up "catcoon.lua" with some type of text editor, preferably some type of notepad, and then go line 95, replacing the old string with this one:

return 	((guy:HasTag("monster") and not guy:HasTag("player") or guy:HasTag("smallcreature")) and

What this does is check to see if the monster doesn't also have the "player" tag. It exempts Webber.

I think that not every character needs to be really good at something. The way I see Webber is a cursed child. He really wants to have friends but he just can't. He can only resort to spiders thanks to his curse, but if he does, he can't really control them and change their nature: they will still eat everything they find on the ground. His low sanity probably comes from the fact that he is a child and children are easily afraid. I don't think he needs a sanity buff from spiders, it would just be too easy. Sanity is rarely an issue, generally. It can be dealt with, even at 100 sanity.

I think in his own way, Webber provides some sort of a challenge because you can't use the regular ressources you are used to, for example, pigs, to easily get wood and whatnot... You can't make your base in a pig village and laugh at the incoming hounds, because they will just kill you on sight. His low sanity also provides a challenge, especially early game. It's never an impossible challenge to overcome, especially when you know what you're doing.

I like him as he is, besides the small fixes he should get (like the spiders not attacking your other followers). It's sometimes fun to play a character that has more disadvantages than advantages and that makes the game different, even if it's overall the same game. I would not like him to have a night vision, he's not a spider, he's a child inside a spider. For the same reason, I would not like to see him sleep during the day, because as he says, his bedtime is during the night (his mother raised him well, obviously). However, I would prefer if he grew silky hair, rather than silky beard. It just makes him look like Santa Claus (especially when wearing a winter hat!). Although I must admit, it is kinda funny that a child grows such a long beard. Might just be part of the curse ! =)

EDIT: RoG gaves us 2 new characters. A nearly too strong Wigfrid and a cursed child. I think it's fine as it is. For those who only want to play strong characters, I think Klei already gaves us a couple ! =)

Yeah, I get the concept of difficult characters being a good thing, but he's just no fun. His quotes give him a very entertaining personality, but his playstyle is simply lacking.

Wes is the comically bad character, designed to give you a tough time. I like the idea of Webber being a very tough character to learn, but rewarding for those who know how to use him. The difference would be that with Wes, no matter what you do you can only make him "less terrible", but perhaps with Webber you could learn to take advantage of him.

Unfortunately, Webber is just boring. There's no real enjoyment in playing in him, save for his temporary novelty.

Yeah, I get the concept of difficult characters being a good thing, but he's just no fun. His quotes give him a very entertaining personality, but his playstyle is simply lacking.

Wes is the comically bad character, designed to give you a tough time. I like the idea of Webber being a very tough character to learn, but rewarding for those who know how to use him. The difference would be that with Wes, no matter what you do you can only make him "less terrible", but perhaps with Webber you could learn to take advantage of him.

Unfortunately, Webber is just boring. There's no real enjoyment in playing in him, save for his temporary novelty.

I guess no character, whatever the devs do with it, can please everyone. I can see why for some people Webber is lacking, I mean it's a cool looking character, maybe some would have appreciated if he could throw silk from its wrist and stick to the walls or something ! =P

More seriously, there will be some interesting changes to Webber, as mentionned in this thread: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/33976-webber-suggestions-and-balance/

As for the boringness, each character can become somewhat boring at some point, especially for players who have been playing for a long time. Wilson is the favorite character for many people and he only grows a beard. It's nice the first couple of winters but once you get used to it, there is nothing exciting about it !

For me, a more exciting character is one that you have to work around some constraints. That is what makes a character unique and the gameplay different. Wigfrid can only eat meat (she can't be a pure farmer, she needs to hunt/trap/fish all the time), Webber is a monser and hated from everything that breathes, etc. That is what makes the game dynamic, in my opinion. More dynamic than say, have an infinite torch and be immune to fire damage or hit twice harder when your stomach is full.

I understand that this is not the case for everyone, though. But we are here to express opinions, afterall =)

I'd imagine a child trapped inside of a spider for a very long time would be a tad bit more crazy than most people.

i guess so, i didn't expect webber as a child eaten by a spider (like you guys all suggested not a humanoid spider which klei found perfect backstory sorry) when i read his quotes i thought he was brain broke man-spider but sadly it isn't

Archived