Put "Things" Underground

I've been playing don't starve for a while now, and all the new additions seem to be really cool, yet I keep fining myself without a real reason to go underground very much. I've become resourceful enough that I can basically survive for quite a while above ground and find most of the "Things" without having to ever go below ground. It would be really cool and give me a huge reason to want to venture underground early in the game. Right now it's just an interesting thing I can do once I've developed a somewhat self-sustaining campsite above ground somewhere. Other really beneficial reasons to go underground early in the game would be great, too, but I leave that to the developers and the community to suggest from here on.

Again, I've never actually gotten alllll the things so this may already be implemented and I just haven't noticed.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, and if most everyone agrees on that then its a good reason not to.

As someone who likes the idea of caves though, I like how there would then be a reason to go down there without exactly "forcing" you down there, such as a necessary item to stay alive.

It should be a world gen option if you ask me. Get things underground, on or off. Me personally, I'd love it if some of them were underground, because I've never been down under for more than five minutes and can't bring myself to stay down there right now.

No, no, no! I don't like this suggestion at all! overworld is big enough, and if it is still to small for you, change its size to large in generation settings. So it will take you more time to find 'em all. and by the way, there's no need to search for things in early game

Yeah i have to disagree with this (unless you had to turn that option on).

I have hated the caves ever since they came out, from my point of view the only reason you would go in there is for rocks, and in order to even get the rocks you need to get resources from the caves them selves to be able to survive in there. (You have to resort to the Miner hat other wise, and i find getting fireflies for that to be a pain in the butt.)

You have to resort to the Miner hat other wise, and i find getting fireflies for that to be a pain in the butt.)

You may be interested to know that the miner hat can be refueled now, with fireflies, slurtle slime, and light bulbs.    It's really quite easy to use now as long as you can gather plenty of light bulbs.

You may be interested to know that the miner hat can be refueled now, with fireflies, slurtle slime, and light bulbs.    It's really quite easy to use now as long as you can gather plenty of light bulbs.

Yeah i know, i just hate getting the fire fly to make it in the first place.

I would rather use that 10% of the bug net to get a butterfly to plant for my bee farm.

Unless im underground i'll just make 2 torches and run from what ever i am in danger while being attacked in the dark

Yeah i know, i just hate getting the fire fly to make it in the first place.

I would rather use that 10% of the bug net to get a butterfly to plant for my bee farm.

Unless im underground i'll just make 2 torches and run from what ever i am in danger while being attacked in the dark

So you're willing to sacrifice Grass and Twigs, a resource that is very commonly used in crafting, but not 10% on a very rarely-used tool?

Huh.

So you're willing to sacrifice Grass and Twigs, a resource that is very commonly used in crafting, but not 10% on a very rarely-used tool?

Huh.

Yep, I like my flowers, what can I say?

Ah, ok then.  But it's so easy now with full moons, just run around the Autumn biome in the fall.  Bring like, 3 nets though.

Ah yeah i always forget about the new full moon :razz:

Now if only i could find Glommer so i could focus on other things during a full moon (i'm hunting down this adorable bugger)

Yep, I like my flowers, what can I say?

Ah yeah i always forget about the new full moon :razz:

Now if only i could find Glommer so i could focus on other things during a full moon (i'm hunting down this adorable bugger)

Hunt down? I always just kinda run into him...

If it helps, for me the statue ALWAYS was in the autumnish biome close to the pig king. And the pig king was always in a green patch inside the autumn forest. So if you find an autumn biome or boss pig, you're probably close.

I agree with the idea that it should be a world gen option. Also the idea that using the divining rod to figure out which cave one may be in is great! It could act like the sinkhole is where one of the things is located, and once you go inside it resets again for it's actual location. This whole idea really was meant to give me a reason to go into caves without making it a requirement. You wanna 'win?', go into the caves. Otherwise you can survive forever above ground, which is really it's own kind of winning, too.

I think this's a good idea. I've never found a reason to go underground, as I can survive perfectly well without doing so. I think putting the Things (or anything extremely useful/necessary) underground would push more people to go spelunking and actually go about exploring the entire region of the map that often goes completely untouched. At least, it does in my games, which is a fault of mine. 

Archived