Guaranteed Pig King Spawn

I already think that he should be a guaranteed spawn for every world generation, but especially now, considering that endothermic fires require gold, I think it has become necessary, well almost necessary, to make the Pig King have a guaranteed spawn. Gold, although plentiful at first, eventually becomes more and more limited, the caves only supplying so much. Basically what I am saying is that now that gold's use doesn't fade in long-term games, it would be very accommodating to have a guaranteed  Pig King spawn for every world generation. I can personally say that after sinking more than 50 or so days in a pre-RoG world only to find that it didn't have a Pig King was very disappointing.

Your thoughts?

Also, does anyone know why the Pig King isn't already a guaranteed spawn? Has anyone else had a frustrating experience similar to mine?

Also, does anyone know why the Pig King isn't already a guaranteed spawn? Has anyone else had a frustrating experience similar to mine?

I've never had a map without the Pig King spawning Fairly certain he is a guaranteed spawn.

God i know, i was playing mr. tiddles mod, survived for around 150 days and ran out of easy-to-get gold on the surface, and lo and behold, there was no pig king to get any gold to fuel my creations.

I've never had a map without the Pig King spawning Fairly certain he is a guaranteed spawn.

I've had quite a few with no pig king.  I recently did a 10 RoG worlds and used console commands to reveal the map.   3 of them did not have pig kings.   I agree that it can be a bit frustrating to put a bunch of time into a world only to find he's not there, though I've never had a particularly acute gold shortage.  I try to look at it as a bonus for the next world  when I teleportato out with a pack full of berry bushes, garden gnomes, and pig tails.

I've had quite a few with no pig king.  I recently did a 10 RoG worlds and used console commands to reveal the map.   3 of them did not have pig kings.   I agree that it can be a bit frustrating to put a bunch of time into a world only to find he's not there, though I've never had a particularly acute gold shortage.  I try to look at it as a bonus for the next world  when I teleportato out with a pack full of berry bushes, garden gnomes, and pig tails.

Considering that grave digger items are renewable now (tumbleweeds), a Pig King really ought to be a guarantee.

I suppose my problem is that I don't like using the Teleportado (speaking of which, can you bring a backpack full of stuff as well? I'd hate to leave my Krampus sack). I prefer building up a base and feeling like I've tamed my DS world (i.e. controlled Spider population, good sized pig camps, plenty of farms and berry bushes, crockpots and ice boxes, etc.)

I guess it just doesn't seem like it would be difficult to fix, but I suppose Klei would know more about it than my mere conjecture. So I'll leave it at this:

"Klei, if it's an easy fix, could you please make the Pig King a guaranteed spawn for every world generation?"

I don't see why it would be a difficult thing.  He's a set piece just like the teleportato right? and that occurs 100%.  McTusk also occurs a lot more often than pig king in my experience.   I assume there's a set number of biomes generated.  Just check and if it's constructing the last biome, and if no pig king is present yet, then insert pig king in that last one.  I think it'd be more fun to see him in more than just the pine or deciduous biome anyway.   I support this btw, sinc gold is certainly more needed now with all the doodads for summer, and the rocky biome seems to be about as rare if not moreso than the pig king himself.

Ahh I have a bunch of gravedigger items and excess meat but no Pig King again! Gold is even more essential when playing as Wigfrid and I never even got a rocky biome in my world. I've already exhausted all my above ground sources of gold. Could I please get a response from the devs on why the Pig King isn't a guaranteed spawn? I know you have a reason, and it would make things a lot easier for me to bear if I know what it is. Please

I agree, I thought he was guaranteed now in RoG, but I just made a few worlds and checked. Now he always seems to spawn in a meadow biome in the middle of one of the birchnut biomes, but sometimes the meadow just has a kingless pig village.

In the past the lack of a pig king in the world has been grounds for me to teleportato or or DebugSpawn in a pig king. 

I also thought that we are guaranteed to have one Pig King per world. Personally I was always lucky to find him but I totaly understand how frustrating it would be to find out that he's missing. Great observation. I am 100% behind this request.

The reason I believe it's not intentional is because there's no reason why they wouldn't make him spawn in every world if they could.

I still disagree with you, Uncle JBeetle. I think it would be easy, but granted, my opinion is mere supposition. We need @ProfFarnsworth or a dev for a knowledgeable comment on this matter

I still disagree with you, Uncle JBeetle. I think it would be easy, but granted, my opinion is mere supposition. We need @ProfFarnsworth or a dev for a knowledgeable comment on this matter

I've been looking at what I think is the world gen code (in data/scripts/map) and it looks like the Pig King is supposed to show up every time.

It's really difficult code to read, though, everything is named with references to models/systems that may be metaphorical or something that I'm not getting.

For more detail on why I think he's supposed to show up:

In map/levels/survival.lua, it lists tasks and optional tasks. "Speak to the king!" is listed as a non-optional task.

In map/tasks.lua, this is what it lists for "Speak to the king:

AddTask("Speak to the king", {
locks={LOCKS.PIGKING,LOCKS.TIER2},
keys_given={KEYS.PIGS,KEYS.GOLD,KEYS.TIER3},
room_choices={
["PigKingdom"] = 1,
["GrassySinkhole"] = 1,
["MagicalDeciduous"] = 1,
["DeepDeciduous"] = 3 + math.random(SIZE_VARIATION), 
}, 
room_bg=GROUND.GRASS,
background_room="BGDeciduous",
colour={r=1,g=1,b=0,a=1}
}) 

That seems to correspond well with what I've noticed about Pig Kings that do show up now, which is that they're in a grass biome embedded in a birchnut biome, with a sinkhole nearby. "MagicalDeciduous" I think might refer to the Glommer Statue, which also always shows up nearby.

On the other hand, the same stuff appears to be true in the vanilla files (obviously without new things like the birchnut biome). So I guess he was always supposed to have shown up?

Archived