How long should the new seasons be?

Kellyc764

*This is purely speculating and hoping* xD

I've been thinking about this and trying to find a happy medium with the confirmed intro of Spring and Autumn now going into the mix. 

What lengths do you think would work best?

I'm always confusing myself with the summer - 21days and winter - 15days. It makes calculating the next winter a total nightmare due to my lack of basic math sometimes lol

If I could have it any way, I'd probably have:

Spring - 10 days

Summer - 15 days

Autumn - 10 days

Winter - 10 days

Atleast I think I'd like that. Part of me feels less than complacent with it though since the harsh quick drop from summer to winter is a nasty enjoyable challenge =D 

The idea of having longer to stock up for winter means less rushing, but it makes me wonder if it'll lead to dilly-dallying around a bit, especially through Autumn if there aren't sizeable seasonal differences in place.

What about you? :p

Mmm ... From 10 up to 15 each one. Maybe 12 days each.

That sounds decent. Though like DwerBomb if the 10 day ones were upped to 12 I think I would like that just a bit more. Small change but still.

That would make the seasons 51 days long. I think that would be a good benchmark actually. I guess dependent on the content of the DLC, it could work out pretty well. I'm still trying to guess between the two potential outcomes of the seasons:

Either they'll be shorter, providing more of an onslaught of forever changing conditions, not allowing us to get too comfy too quickly.

Or

They'll be longer giving us a more fleshed-out environment and experience, also increasing game playability for those long run games.

And out of those two I can't decide which one I like more xD

well, speaking of default setting (because I think seasons' options must be editable) I like the idea of a very long season, stack up in the summer, get ready in the autumn and hold on for all winter and so on...

a total cycle of 60 days (more or less) requires a full immersion on the game, and I love it.

so 60/4 = 15 days each would be awesome.

Yeah, I think I could stretch to 15 days each season. Or even keeping defult summer at 21, 66 days cycle. It certainly would lead to more immersion :D

I'd actually like a little more variance on the lengths of seasons as to make it harder to predict when a season is coming.

I also think winter would lose some of it's bite if it's duration was reduced down to only 10 days by default.

Ooooh, that is a very nice idea! Typically a day or two before the end of a season I'll get prepped for the oncoming season, the unpredictability of that would be awesome and worrying - in all the right ways lol

I'd actually like a little more variance on the lengths of seasons as to make it harder to predict when a season is coming.

I also think winter would lose some of it's bite if it's duration was reduced down to only 10 days by default.

I agree, right now Winters are the only challenging season. It would be nice if at least 3/4 of the seasons had various challenges though.

As for the season-specific challenges:

• judging from the DLC summer trailer, I bet that the new summer season will have the danger of huge forest fires
  • in spring, it will probably rain a lot more often, so more wood is needed to keep fire going
  • (this is just a wild guess:) autumn is a time of harvest and stacking up for winter, so just about everything is ripe for picking, but giants are on the prowl! or worse, you might have to compete for food with giants (bears are after honey, brontosauruses     after fruit and berries, etc.)

Oh how naive I was to the horror of the seasons when I started this! Lol

I like Autumn and Spring most, but hailing from the UK where our summer is either non-existent or at best a month long, I'd now like to see longer Spring's and Autumn's and perhaps Summer's and Winter's at a shorter length.

I'd now say:

Spring: 21

Summer:14

Autumn: 21

Winter: 14

I'd like way shorter winters than that truthfully as Deerclops now terrifies the life out of me with his new attacks. I had the unfortunate luck of encountering him during my first winter with all of 2 toothtraps and lost all 4 pig houses in the process (Killed him, only to have my sanity at such a drain the nightmare creatures finished me off xD)

Oh noooo my poor base. Is the flingomatic an item you create with the Prestihatitator? I have encountered only two spider nests in my entire map already, so I don't have enough web to make a top hat. Ohoho, sad moment. 

I anticipate a flamey summer death this time around, hehe.

On that note, my input for the season length is also having them be slightly variable so they're not entirely predictable when they'll pop up. It'd be nice if summer and winter were both a tiny bit shorter than spring and autumn though, even just by a day or two.

post-255492-0-62225800-1394633648_thumb.

Oh noooo my poor base. Is the flingomatic an item you create with the Prestihatitator? I have encountered only two spider nests in my entire map already, so I don't have enough web to make a top hat. Ohoho, sad moment. 

I anticipate a flamey summer death this time around, hehe.

On that note, my input for the season length is also having them be slightly variable so they're not entirely predictable when they'll pop up. It'd be nice if summer and winter were both a tiny bit shorter than spring and autumn though, even just by a day or two.

Ooo well atleast you got yourself a fine straw hat for dear ol' woody :p lol

On a side note, thanks for the image, I haven't actually made it to summer yet and haven't seen the burnt items either. Ouch, so they all caught fire?

In my last two game, winter was 16 days ~ when autumn was more 20 ~.

I haven't actually paid any attention to season lengths in game yet, silly really xD But I think I've only racked up two or three hours on the DLC anyway since most of my time it pottering around testing things.

Archived